Thread: Kidney stone formation

Kidney stone formation

Nurses,
    I just had a 12mm kidney stone removed from my ureter earlier this year and developed a stage 3 pressure sore because of a slew of complications that the stone caused. The sore healed completely in 10 weeks and I upped my protein intake to 100g protein per day during that recovery period. I went through kidney stone prevention counseling as well so I now understand the variables that go into the formation process.

However, I couldn't kick the protein shake habit and am probably now consuming 125-150g per day via shakes and animal protein. Is it possible for another kidney stone to have formed over the last 4-5 months since the other was removed? I've been waking up at night with a rapid heart beat and extra spasticitiy in my lower left back which occurred with the stone I had earlier in the year.

I'm curious to know how was the stone diagnosed in an us sci patients and what symptoms you had to show you had a stone? I only have one kidney so I'm curious what to look out for. Also can they be passed out so to speak when catheing?
    Last edited by swalker23; 09-24-2016 at 04:56 PM.

You need to go to your urologist and ask them to refer you to a nurse practitioner type that specializes in kidney stone studies. There's no silver bullet to prevent kidney stone formation so the study will produce a recommendation specific to your diet and lifestyle habits.

My stone was originally seen through an ultrasound of the kidneys. I had pretty bad spasms that indicated the stone was causing issues.

Did they analyze the stone? Most in sci persons is structure from infection . Yes most of the time they develop slowly and 1.2 cm is large and definitely would not pass through ureter. Renal ultrasound is initial test. Then if stone seen urologist want Ct Scan renal stone protocol done. If 4 to 7 mm then KUB X-ray done also and if seen can do SWL. Now urology is using the shock wave lithotripsy and not waiting till stone is 1.0 cm ( or 10 mm) to treat.

CWO
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 09-25-2016 at 06:02 PM.

And yes it can develop in several months. CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Did they analyze the stone? Most in sci Persians is structure from infection . Yes most of the time they develop slowly and 1.2 cm is large and definitely would not pass through ureter. Renal ultrasound is initial test. Then if stone seen urologist want Ct Scan renal stone protocol done. If 4 to 7 mm then KUB X-ray done also and if seen can do SWL. Now urology is using the shock wave lithotripsy and not waiting till stone is 1.0 cm ( or 10 mm) to treat. CWO
    The stone was mostly calcium. They did do SWL as well.

What are your thoughts on the excessive protein?

Long term, high protein diets increase the risk of developing uric acid kidney stones.

https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-inf...ges/facts.aspx

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1169452/

I think a high protein diet is good and you didn't have a uric acid stone but protein too much high protein especially with use added powder can cause diarrhea or constipation. So don't over do it.
    Lower your calcium intake- again not totally eliminate but cut down.

CWO

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I also had a stone stuck in my Ureter and had it removed via laser. Ever since the laser surgery I have been waking up in the middle of the night feeling clammy. I was thinking/hoping when it first started that is was just my body reacting to the removal of the stone but now a month later I am wondering what could be causing the clamminess. If I take two tovaz tablets before I go to bed the clamminess seems to stop. I am not scheduled to go back to my urologist until December but I am thinking I might still have parts of the stone in my ureter or bladder. Would this be a possibility?

Nevada, it is possible that you still have stone trapped in your ureter, or that you have a stricture that may have been caused by either the stone or removal of the stone. Suggest you contact your urologist and see if they want to get an kidney/ureter/bladder ultrasound on you before that December follow-up appointment.

(KLD)