Thread: Indwelling Catheter turning black on inside

Indwelling Catheter turning black on inside

I'm a c4 complete (40 yrs) with an indwelling cath. My wife changes it every 3 to 4 weeks and haven't had an infection for many yrs. The last few months the cath is turning black after about 10 days and the odour is rank. We noticed my leg bag and the hoses are getting discoloured as well.

I have no symptoms of an infection and I know my body well enough to rule them out. Having said that, the urine doesn't smell like urine. It smells more like sewer.

Any thoughts?

Is definitely not purple urine bag syndrome. My urine is neither purple or blue. It is yellow and clear

Quote Originally Posted by brysan View Post
    Is definitely not purple urine bag syndrome. My urine is neither purple or blue. It is yellow and clear
    From an article authored at Craig Rehabilitation Hospital: https://craighospital.org/resources/purple-urine-bag

Purple Urine Bag Syndrome

What is it?
    Purple Urine Bag Syndrome, or PUBS, occurs when urinary catheters and bags become a purple color. The urine can be normal yellow color or it can be purple, too.

All the best,
    GJ

Last edited by gjnl; 09-21-2016 at 12:53 PM.

What kind of catheter? Latex? Silver coated? Silicone? Black on the inside or the outside of the catheter (or both)?

(KLD)

BARDEX I.C. Anti infection, Hydrogel, Bacti-Guard, Silver Alloy, Latex. It turns black on the inside only.

Quote Originally Posted by brysan View Post
    BARDEX I.C. Anti infection, Hydrogel, Bacti-Guard, Silver Alloy, Latex. It turns black on the inside only.
    There have been a few reports in the literature for this occurring in silver coated urinary indwelling catheters (like the Bardex IC). None of them found that this was in any way harmful to the patient.

(KLD)

My concern is the odour. I bath or shower daily, but the odour is constant within 10 days of changing cath. Until a few months ago there would be no odour even at 30 days on a cath.

I know what the solution is as well, but it seems odd to start smelling like urine after all these yrs. My diet hasn't change, I take no meds whatsoever, drink bottled water, 1 coffee/day, the odd Corona, weekly BM. I did have my gall bladder removed in Feb 2016, but it didn't change anything that I noticed.