Thread: painful backside conus medullaris or ces

painful backside conus medullaris or ces

hi folks
    i am long term sci L1 i sustained in a falling accident i had burst fracture and use catheters and bowel digistem i also have another problem i have never read about ever when googling or on any sci site?? i have altered sensation in perineum area and across buttocks area but localised to middle area the pain when sitting down for even half an hour systematically rises to excruciating uncomfortableness and i have to lie down on my side for ages to get relief
    the only time it feels fine is after a nights sleep in the morning but again sitting down makes it worse shortly, i don't know whether it is cauda equina syndrome with retention or conus medullaris which seems more likely

has anyone got an answer please?

obviously i have no muscle tone on my buttocks so my sitting bones are under attack so to speak but its not pain from the bones it is nerve type pain

It is common to have perineal or genital neuropathic pain in CES. Often it is a hyperesthesia type pain where normal touch is interpreted as extreme pain. Have you talked with your provider about this? First line treatment would be a trial of TENS, and acupuncture is sometimes effective. Medications such as gabapentin or Lyrica or Tegretol also have been used and may decrease this problem (although unlikely to resolve it completely).

(KLD)