Thread: Q6 Quantum Edge I bought

Blog Entries

Q6 Quantum Edge I bought

Found it on ebay, the lady was in a rehab center for knee replacement therapy. Had a couple of strokes in past, aneurysms, etc. She is significantly overweight. I paid for it with paypal, next day still hadn't heard from her. Got to researching her id and she had 2 other listings for the same chair and a couple other items. Sp00ked at this point! Anyway, finally got in touch with her thru the rehab center, she had put it's number on another listing. Was in a hurry to sell because they didn't allow them there. She said it was sold already and the buyer was coming tomorrow to pick it up! ARRRRRRGH! Had to explain to her how to go and cancel sale/refund my money, and take down the other listings, she quickly did all of that.
    Next morning woke up with an email thru ebay said her other deal fell thru and I could have it if I wanted. I had spent MOST of the other day, printing maps, loading ramps, a home made lift that fits trailer hitch, winch, tools, 2 batteries as hers were dead, etc. Had all but the ramps unloaded. Had to get cash from my sister in another town, load the truck up AGAIN and hustle to Roanoke, VA from Newport, TN and back before dark. Didn't happen as I planned BUT was attempting to ramp the chair into the truck after sundown for the zillionth time, finally paused and started praying, asking for some guidance as I must be doing it wrong. Heard a car door close as I was finishing up. Looked up and a young nurse was standing there waiting on me. She immediately asked if I need help "getting that thing in there". Told her she was an answer to a prayer that I had just sent up! I had spent about 30 minutes with ramps scooting, chair getting stuck, almost falling off, a whole host of improbable failures. I spaced the ramps properly again,told her how to turn it on and she drove it up the ramps, into the truck, hopped in and corned it in the back and strapped it down in a minute. Rushed her off so she wouldn't be late for work, thanking her profusely the whole time.
    Spent today unloading it, adjusting things, FINALLY got to ride in it, my cats spent the night on it in the back of the truck, lol...always last. Spent no small time with the OTHERWISE new MK Gel Cell batteries that were 'dead', that's why I had to take my two. They were at 1.0 and 1.07 volts respectively. I have 3 different types of chargers to work with and a few 12v spares. THOUGHT I was going to have to do the 'boost' trick to begin with but I have one that would charge for a teeny bit before shutting off. Enough to get above the 6v limit of my 24v charger. So some fast hooking/plugging and it/they have been charging all day, estimate another few hours as they are not at the 13.6v float level yet.
    Yeah, I know, talking about batteries lol. The batteries NEW cost more than I paid for the entire chair, LESS than a year old hardly any usage at all. Look it up, it doesn't have tilt' lift nor recline but it DOES have 4 pole motors! Whap0W!! It is set up for for a short, wide person. I stuck about 10 inches of cushions on it and set the footplate to near dragging the ground for my first ride through the hay fields and the barn just before dark. I could set two of me side by side in it, or maybe I'll just make a spot on ONE side for a toolbox and stuff, so I won't have to run back and forth It rides like a wagon because it has solid tires, that will get changed to airfilled soon, on the drive wheels. The shocks/suspension looks to have plenty of room for adjustment to solve the other two pairs roughness. I have pics but I'll save posting them until I get it set up for me. $250.00, God blessed me with a tool I need to get all my work done with. I have a 14 yr old BounderPlus I got used in new condition that is unusable for the time being, and another taht wqas given to me by a friend who got it from a DME that was hauling it to the dump 13 years ago. Rim is about to break on it. Looked on ebay for the past few months and wheels for IT were running $225 alone. I have taken the front casters off and turned them down 0.004" to unfreeze them because I can't find replacement bushings for the frame for them. TWICE. Been running into walls for two years inside, zigzagging around as each caster gained mastery... God is Good!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

That was quite an adventure. Thanks for sharing that story.

I assume that all batteries in used chairs, are dead on arrival. Batteries are hardly cheap, and the expense of purchasing new batteries should be included when you're figuring your cost.

I always bring someone to assist me when I buy a chair, I know I am useless to be of much help. That's just a fact.

Blog Entries
    short update to let you know that I successfully restored the MK batteries to almost full capacity/ 13.3 volts each (between the two+-0.05v) after two days on the charger/maintainer. Put them in the chair and drove them through the hayfields and up and down STEEP hills for a few hours and the charge indicator on the chair indicated~ 1/10 discharge. Incredible, in my opinion. My larger, deep cycle marine(liquid) from walmart would have been about 50% and I rarely take them down that far. I am looking for a local store that sells tubes after that bumpy experience. Can't adjust the width to less than 20inches and I need to gain an additional 8inches of height, raised it to the limit there. After sitting all day on two stacked cushions and mine, my legs were swollen worse than they have been in many years. Back pain was kicking also from the rough ride. Figured out most of the controller settings, except for bluetooth, can't find a manual for it anywhere. The 3.1 mph top speed is driving me insane. I read a LOT of BAD reviews for this chair in my searching for answers BEFORE I rode it. I guess I got a recent model, I am pleased, actually surprised at it's climbing ability, even with the solid tires! I was afraid I would not make it back up the hill before I rode down it and was afraid it would tip forward, that is how steep it is. Since ya never know for certain until you try, I went ahead with it, lol. After 20yrs, that's how I view situations now. No slipping down nor up. It also did the full 3.1mph up the hill. Now off to search the local stores online to find tubes, and possibly replace the cables on my handcycle if the ones I bought fit. I must include a huge thank you and praises to my God for all He has blessed me with in these past few months in repairs to vehicles, equipment and finding this new chair, all at unheard of costs. I have years of trying without Him and accomplishing zilch as proof He made the difference.

Right on, Capn! That's a sweet chair for a sweeter deal!

Blog Entries
    I put tubes in the tires today(drive tires) did not take too long. Kind of a hassle getting the solid crud out of the tire. Used a big screwdriver to pry/tear a chunk before pulling the remainder out easily. Apparently, they spray it into the fully assembled split-rim/tire with a removable valve stem and it expands to fill the space. It is heavy, only slightly squishable and high silicone content(slippery to the touch). From the outside of the tire, it is hard as a brick. I rode it for about an hour and a half while a buddy of mine's 5 year old chased me through the hay fields in my other powerchair. I spent the next 3 days mostly laying in bed resting me aching body! Now to try to figure out a seat to mount on it and put a tilt actuator and possibly a lift also. I would prefer to have both as it will be my work chair from now on. Would like to find a cheap recaro type seat that fits me and the other will be simple. I have metal, actuators, welding machine, small lathe and know-how. Just can't seem to locate a seat that doesn't cost more than I paid for the chair. I'm starting to think make my own from scratch by now. Like a race car seat- aluminuminuminum and memory foam that has high sides to hold me in place. Wish I could find a cheap racing seat on craigs list or karens list or freds list or HECK, I'd even go for marvin the martian's list at this point.....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

CapnGimp,

If you think a "Racing seat" might work, you might want to look at http://www.racingjunk.com/
    It's kinda like a craigs list of racecar stuff..

Ron.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Ron, I had a look there, two were close enough to me, gotta find out if they will ship and how much... for 80 bucks each. All the rest are more than I paid for chair, lol.