Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Douette cather review

Poiesis is very good at sending our samples of the Duette Catheters. Go to their website and click on contact us. They have a toll free number to call. http://www.poiesismedical.com/products/duette/

All the best,
    GJ

I called the toll free # and to get some samples. I currently use a 22fr catheter, the largest they carry is 18. What kind of risks are there to putting in a smaller catheter?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    I called the toll free # and to get some samples. I currently use a 22fr catheter, the largest they carry is 18. What kind of risks are there to putting in a smaller catheter?
    I was using a 22fr before switching to the Duette and have had better luck with the 18fr Duette. I'm waiting for them to release the 20fr in hopes that leaking will completely end.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I was using a 22fr before switching to the Duette and have had better luck with the 18fr Duette. I'm waiting for them to release the 20fr in hopes that leaking will completely end.
    OK so leaking is a possibility. I thought that might be a risk. Would it be hard to go to a larger catheter after using a 18fr?

Quote Originally Posted by wheelman21 View Post
    OK so leaking is a possibility. I thought that might be a risk. Would it be hard to go to a larger catheter after using a 18fr?
    Its possible that you'll leak. But I leak less with Duette's 18fr than with a regular 22fr. As far as going bigger, it would depend on how long you've been using a smaller size catheter. I used a 22fr for 16 years and have used a Duette for almost 14 months. I wouldn't think that it would hurt for me to try a 20fr if they make one sometime soon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Vintage View Post
    I've never used a leg bag. You can't sleep in one, can you?
    I ALWAYS have. I went with a foley to get away from all the time wasted cathing, cleaning caths, etc. I have unfortunately had to live with an inability to get to sleep, to sleep without waking up, constantly tossing and turning, so it was always easy to reach down and check my bag to see if it was full. Ahh the benefits of pain lol. After about 3 weeks it is advisable to change them as they tend to start leaking after you have let them get full and your bladder back up, stretches the seams and they begin to tear, slow leak. I try to pay attention but when I get busy I forget to reach down and check sometimes. As I stated before, this is why I am able to hold so much in my bladder, all these years. In the first year or so of injury, it was not so, my bladder couldn't hold but about 8oz or so, depending on the situation, before I started leaking. My bladder distends and sticks out on my stomach like a potato sized knot. Every time I wake to turn, I reflexively reach down and feel for it to see if its time to get5 up and head to the toilet lol. Call me lazy but I decided early on to forgo the hours spent TAKING a crap and draining the bladder. I stayed with my brother for a couple of months when I first got out of rehab and was basically a very weak t4. Using a transfer board, wearing a turtle shell to cover my broken up ribcage for months, my brother had to do my bowel care in a bed they setup in their livingroom, take showers with a waterhose at the garage door in my chair...you get the picture. After about 6 months the shell came off and I was able to start working on strength and health, trying for myself, ex-girlfriend asked me to move back in with her and the girls...it was find a better way time all around. Fortunately God Blessed and it worked out in the long run with my present bowel/bladder routine within a year. I only stayed with the gf for a few months, you know how those things go, and I started renting a house on my own. Took a few years until I got healthy but it has always been the same bowel and bladder routine. I really believe the way I do it is much healthier and I KNOW it is a BIG time saver not using suppositories or stool softeners, dig stimming and waiting...proper diet is KEY here though. Anywho, I have 14fr caths not sure if female caths are shorter but send me your address and I will send you a couple in the mail if you want, as others have stated you can get samples from the company with a phone call. They sent me 4 for free.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 12-19-2016 at 07:02 PM. Reason: i can't type as fast as i think and I hate it when you ask me WHY do I edit my posts, ewe R eVil vb5 :P

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Its possible that you'll leak. But I leak less with Duette's 18fr than with a regular 22fr. As far as going bigger, it would depend on how long you've been using a smaller size catheter. I used a 22fr for 16 years and have used a Duette for almost 14 months. I wouldn't think that it would hurt for me to try a 20fr if they make one sometime soon.
    If you are leaking check the balloons. Mine was leaking. We checked the balloons and the 5cc one was low. We filled it back up and the leaking stopped.

I bought 16 fr duettes from atc medical. Has anyone brought them to a hospital and asked them to use them instead?

If any of you use 18 fr and pay out of pocket, you can purchase them for $9.00 a piece, here. http://www.discountcatheters.com/cat...oley+catheters

I switched from using a 16 fr to 18 fr to save money. I haven't had any issues with changing sizes, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    IAnywho, I have 14fr caths not sure if female caths are shorter but send me your address and I will send you a couple in the mail if you want, as others have stated you can get samples from the company with a phone call. They sent me 4 for free.
    I spoke with Charlene Johnson, Sales and Marketing Director for Poiesis. She confirmed that the Duette catheters come in one length (16-1/2 from top of the funnel to the tip of the catheter) in the Fr sizes available (14, 16, & 18).

All the best,
    GJ