Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels What's The Difference

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wheels What's The Difference

how much difference is there between 25 inch wheels and 26 inch wheels? What does everyone prefer and why?

You can look at wheels like gears on a bicycle. if you spend most of your time wheeling on short trips where you have to go up and down ramps/hills I would pick 24 inch rims. If you do longer, mostly flat trips I would pick 25inch tires. Unless you are really tall I wouldn't see the need for 26 inch tires.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You can look at wheels like gears on a bicycle. if you spend most of your time wheeling on short trips where you have to go up and down ramps/hills I would pick 24 inch rims. If you do longer, mostly flat trips I would pick 25inch tires. Unless you are really tall I wouldn't see the need for 26 inch tires.
    To further clarify, think of a tall person and a short person walking the same distance. The tall person will have less strides to cover the same distance as a short person. For wheels, one push on a 26" wheel will get you slightly further than the same push on a 24" wheel. I use a 25" wheel as a compromise between the other two sizes. The 25s fits better in my lifestyle for my usual transfers and fitting in my car. They allow me to grab things off the floor without stretching too much and I still have pretty good high reach for stuff on grocery store shelves. You need to try all three sizes to see which works best for you. (I'm a stocky 5'6" with relatively short arms.)

A common use of 26s is on basketball chairs, where users want to get somewhere quickly.

I switched from 24 to 25 a few years ago; I like 25s, but can't really explain why. They just feel right to me.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I also switched from 24" to 25" wheels a few years ago and will not go back. I get so much more out of each push and you get a better ride also. Going to a larger wheel can make transfers a little more difficult.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

You would only get a "gearing" difference if your wheel to handrim diameter ratio increases. If you increase handrim diameter along with increasing wheel size, you're not getting any more out of the push.

No arguing that a bigger wheel decreases rolling resistance though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    You would only get a "gearing" difference if your wheel to handrim diameter ratio increases. If you increase handrim diameter along with increasing wheel size, you're not getting any more out of the push.

No arguing that a bigger wheel decreases rolling resistance though.
    How does a bigger wheel decrease rolling resistance? With a larger diameter don't you also get a larger contact patch, which would increase resistance?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I get more out of each push as I have more to grab, being they are within reach better, also with the larger diameter there is more to push.

Sorry I took that a bit too literally in that you were getting more in distance out of the same arm stroke. But really you meant that the larger diameter takes better advantage of your potential arm stroke and you can do bigger pushes. My bad. So ideal tire size can depend on a person's size and ability it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    So ideal tire size can depend on a person's size and ability it seems.
    I believe that to be true. If you are on the shorter side, 25" wheels may be to much.