Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Headeset Mouse With Bite Click

Headeset Mouse With Bite Click

I've been following this product because it seems to be very affordable. I know a high quad that could really benefit from this. It started as an Indigogo product but it looks like they are in full production mode right now taking orders on their website.

I know it is a long shot but has anyone used this head mouse? If we do make the purchase I'll report back. It is SO much less than anything else that I wonder about its sturdiness.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/3/11582720/glassouse-assistive-devices

Its cheaper than my Smartnav head mouse but I have trouble with wearing glasses. They make me go cross-eyed. Good luck if you buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    Its cheaper than my Smartnav head mouse but I have trouble with wearing glasses. They make me go cross-eyed. Good luck if you buy one.
    How do you like your Smartnav head mouse overall? I'm thinking of making a similar product with instead of the camera using the sensors of the phone or a small embedded device that you would attach to a hat, headband, or inexpensive clip. I'd love to hear what you like and don't like about the smartnav mouse since other than the technology used, the features exposed to the end user would be similar.

I used to have a Madentech Head Tracker but it wore out after 12 years. I bought the Smartnav used from someone on this site a couple years ago. It works well and without it, using the computer while in bed, would almost be impossible. I use the reflective stickers on my forehead. The ones they sell are kind of expensive, so I bought 3M reflective tape and make my own dots. The downsides are that the base isn't real sturdy so I had to rig it up on my laptop differently and if there is a lot of glare from sunlight it can make your mouse cursor go crazy. If and when this one breaks, I'll likely buy another.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I used to have a Madentech Head Tracker but it wore out after 12 years. I bought the Smartnav used from someone on this site a couple years ago. It works well and without it, using the computer while in bed, would almost be impossible. I use the reflective stickers on my forehead. The ones they sell are kind of expensive, so I bought 3M reflective tape and make my own dots. The downsides are that the base isn't real sturdy so I had to rig it up on my laptop differently and if there is a lot of glare from sunlight it can make your mouse cursor go crazy. If and when this one breaks, I'll likely buy another.
    Thanks for the feedback I really appreciate it.

I definitely see a lot of head-camera based and gaze-camera based solutions on the market with varying degrees of either positive/negative reviews. I looked at a youtube video for this one and it does seem to have good tuning options (sensitivity and smoothing). The cost of this one is more reasonable than most but I'm still a bit perplexed why there isn't a sub $200 option considering the cost of cameras nowadays (even high framerate ones). It won't fit everyone's needs for sure but it seems the only price points currently are either high or really high. I can understand that things that are really custom hardware like mounted tongue controls or puffers can be expensive, but for other systems the only requirements is a high framerate camera which shouldn't cost as much as they are charging. I hope to maybe in a year or so make a competing product using only a phone that most people already have so that there would be no hardware cost, just a much smaller price for the app.

That being said do you do any computer use beyond web surfing, communication, etc.? It seems to me that most of these do great at casual uses but if you trying to do photoshop or video games (more than just basic games) it wouldn't be enough. Those activities usually have numerous hotkeys, click plus drag, or 2 joysticks. I didn't see any option to bind the gravity to a keyboard key (just does the mouse click) or combine with another device so that it could help a power user. I haven't actually found any product yet that helps the power user, and I suspect for competitor reasons multiple devices don't seem to be used at the same time (say a tongue joystick and a camera app). The combination to me seems like it would really help the power user, but maybe I'm wrong.

Fairly new to the landscape though maybe I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by greggtwep16 View Post
    How do you like your Smartnav head mouse overall? I'm thinking of making a similar product with instead of the camera using the sensors of the phone or a small embedded device that you would attach to a hat, headband, or inexpensive clip. I'd love to hear what you like and don't like about the smartnav mouse since other than the technology used, the features exposed to the end user would be similar.
    I've been using Smartnav for around 10 years. I actually have two of them. One for my laptop and one for my desktop. It is so easy to use. I have a headband with a little square piece of the reflective tape on it. The mounting bracket isn't the greatest. I use Dwell Clicker 2 for my mouse. It is more expensive but for me well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    I've been using Smartnav for around 10 years. I actually have two of them. One for my laptop and one for my desktop. It is so easy to use. I have a headband with a little square piece of the reflective tape on it. The mounting bracket isn't the greatest. I use Dwell Clicker 2 for my mouse. It is more expensive but for me well worth it.
    Thanks for the link on Dwell Clicker 2!! I can see this coupled with any gaze based (like their eye products) or head based (like the smartnav) would help open up a decent amount of usecases. Do you use any products that require a lot of dragging, or play any video games? I'd love to hear your experience with both if you do any power user type activites. From the videos this would still seem to bit a bit slow.

For what I will eventually make I had envisioned allowing binding of say nodding your head to either hotkeys or something similar to dwell click where they allow left click, right click, drag, etc. After watching some of the videos though it's clear that if you want to help a power user maintain speed and not take up any screen real estate though, that you'll need more combinations (dwell clicker has 6 but I can think of others). When utilizing a phone there is also a microphone so really to get up to many combinations would have to be through voice (simple easy to say short sounds to avoid mishearing that is common with more complex products). That way I could have enough to cover all the combinations and hopefully get some speed back.

If you do some more intensive programs (photoshop, CAD, etc.) or more complex games (sports games, FPS, etc.) I'd love to hear what you really like about your setup and certainly what you'd love it to do better.

Quote Originally Posted by greggtwep16 View Post
    Thanks for the link on Dwell Clicker 2!! I can see this coupled with any gaze based (like their eye products) or head based (like the smartnav) would help open up a decent amount of usecases. Do you use any products that require a lot of dragging, or play any video games? I'd love to hear your experience with both if you do any power user type activites. From the videos this would still seem to bit a bit slow.

For what I will eventually make I had envisioned allowing binding of say nodding your head to either hotkeys or something similar to dwell click where they allow left click, right click, drag, etc. After watching some of the videos though it's clear that if you want to help a power user maintain speed and not take up any screen real estate though, that you'll need more combinations (dwell clicker has 6 but I can think of others). When utilizing a phone there is also a microphone so really to get up to many combinations would have to be through voice (simple easy to say short sounds to avoid mishearing that is common with more complex products). That way I could have enough to cover all the combinations and hopefully get some speed back.

If you do some more intensive programs (photoshop, CAD, etc.) or more complex games (sports games, FPS, etc.) I'd love to hear what you really like about your setup and certainly what you'd love it to do better.
    You can adjust the speed in Smartnav. Mine is maxed out and it moves pretty fast. With the Dwell Clicker 2 I can left and right click, drag anything (it does take practice), move the location of the Clicker and adjust settings. I mainly do browsing. Not into gaming. But Smartnav was built for gaming. I use Adobe reader, my calendar and paint.

You can adjust the speed in Smartnav. Mine is maxed out and it moves pretty fast. With the Dwell Clicker 2 I can left and right click, drag anything (it does take practice), move the location of the Clicker and adjust settings. I mainly do browsing. Not into gaming. But Smartnav was built for gaming. I use Adobe reader, my calendar and paint.
    Found a youtube video that illustrates the gaming pretty neat. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIV2BRPVdcM

Seeing that I realize that probably at least 60% of games would be covered. The Sip/puff device would give them two buttons (seemed to use for shoot and reload). There are games that need more (modern controllers have 4 face buttons, 2 shoulder buttons, 2 triggers, 2 joysticks, a dpad, and 2 joystick clicks) and some do use all of them so there is some that wouldn't be playable but so far that is the most coverage I've seen.

Don't think it would help much for 3ds max, photoshop, blender, etc. but is certainly neat. I'll have to see if there is a way I can build more actions into my product

I did find this awesome video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIV2BRPVdcM

I can see from that setup that about at least 60 percent of games would be covered. He uses the head mouse with the sip/puff and I can't tell if there is any other hardware he's using. Sip/puff looks like it would give you 2 actions for games which he's mapped to fire/reload. More complex games would need more actions since a modern controller has 4 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, 2 joysticks, and 2 clicks on the joystick and some games actually use them all.

For power programs the tons of hotkeys would be the same and 2 actions is better than 1 or 0 but for those users I would think they would need closer to 20. Voice is the only thing I can think of that could come close, I'll have to look into that a bit more. While dwelling can make it possible any number of actions, it really slows things down because you spend time moving the head mouse for every action. When these combine they really add up.