Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another "positive" stem cell result for hand movement for a quad?

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    I got a dumb or smart question on my mind that is what's the importance of the amount of cells injected since they multiply on their own?? I mean, if one single cell would be injected, wouldn't it multiply to millions eventually in the long run??

another thought: 1 cell would multiply till forming/fixing an organ or tissue... now an injection of a soup of multiple cells, how would that work? do they all shake hands and merge together to form an organ/tissue??

Maybe Dr. Wise or other researcher in the field would be best to answer this... trying to understand better the mechanism...
    You certainly wouldn't want the cells to be multiplying after administration - that is otherwise known as cancer!

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    You certainly wouldn't want the cells to be multiplying after administration - that is otherwise known as cancer!
    Exactly my thoughts!

Unrelated to the the studie mentioned in this thread, i remember a woman had developed a tumour in her spinal cord, almost literally a nose growing in her spine! I can't remember which experiment that was, and please excuse my terminology as I'm just a layman.

Im pretty sure they were neural or embryonic stem cells, would be awesome if someone could find a link online!

EDIT FOUND IT:

https://www.newscientist.com/article...n-womans-back/

I just googled "woman stem cells spinal cord nose"

There are plenty of links to this on google, i don't know the accuracy of the link I provided, so read carefully.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by taymas View Post
    Exactly my thoughts!

Unrelated to the the studie mentioned in this thread, i remember a woman had developed a tumour in her spinal cord, almost literally a nose growing in her spine! I can't remember which experiment that was, and please excuse my terminology as I'm just a layman.
    If I remember correctly, she was 18 or so at the time of her injury here in Iowa. She was young and attractive. Money was raised through benefits and charitable gifts to send her to Portugal. And the ever misleading Media, once again reporting she is going to be cured. It was also news, but no name given, when the woman had the OEC tumer removed at University of Iowa medical center.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    We won't know anything about the cells or "adverse events" of any participants until the data is finally released on 9/14/16.

InVivo indeed hasn't included any cells in a human therapy. Zero. (Their Bioengineered Neural Trails scaffold gel for chronic they are developing hasn't started and they haven't released any information as to what exact cells they plan to put in their treatment or how many they may decide to include in it). No stem cell company affiliation has been disclosed.

For now, they're a biotech company simply working on the acute investigational bioresorbable polymer scaffold that is designed for implantation at the site of acute injury within a spinal cord contusion. It provides structural support to the spared spinal tissue and a supportive matrix to facilitate endogenous repair processes and degrades over several weeks but contains no stem cells at all when inserted into the acute contusion. They're at Ph 3 with the scaffold trial called "Inspire" and a proposed completion date of next June 2017.

I read that they went up to 6.4 million stem cells.
    Thank you Grammy. When I went to bed I remembered that Invivo is only doing the scaffold now and I think they have plans to add stem cells in the future with the scaffold but I think that is far away.

Quote Originally Posted by scimike View Post
    Thank you Grammy. When I went to bed I remembered that Invivo is only doing the scaffold now and I think they have plans to add stem cells in the future with the scaffold but I think that is far away.
    The InVivo Therapeutics company will be at W2W2016 doing a presentation October 29th at 9:45 AM and involved in a panel discussion immediately after that for the community. You'll get first hand information there and can ask any questions you'd like.

Translation of Biomaterial-based Therapies for the Treatment of Acute and Chronic Spinal Cord Injury: The Neuro-Spinal Scaffold™ and Bioengineered Neural Trails

Alex Aimetti, PhD, Sr. Director, Medical Education & Scientific Support, InVivo Therapeutics

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    I understand you point, but how would it fix anything if it didn't? its not like they're injecting only the missing piece already formed by multiplied cells and then bonds to the severed spinal cord or targeted tissue to be repaired...

That why I'm curious of whats the big deal of escalating the dosage of cells,

Escalating a dosage of a Drug for potency/efficacy/safety research I can understand... But escalation a dosage of cells that can multiply on their own?? That was my point... Makes sense to me that one working single cell would of been enough if its a solution to repair tissue...
    Last edited by Moe; 09-12-2016 at 12:48 PM.

The escalating dosing in our trial was to establish safety. Doing this will also show if a certain amount is more/less beneficial.

I understand you point, but how would it fix anything if it didn't? its not like they're injecting only the missing piece already formed by multiplied cells and then bonds to the severed spinal cord or targeted tissue to be repaired...

That why I'm curious of whats the big deal of escalating the dosage of cells,

Escalating a dosage of a Drug for potency/efficacy/safety research I can understand... But escalation a dosage of cells that can multiply on their own?? That was my point... Makes sense to me that one single cell would of been enough if stem cell would be a solution to repair tissue...
    These cells are oligodendrocytes precursor cells (OPCs) which are being transplanted to differentiate into oligodendrocytes to subsequently provide support to existing axons - primarily with the aim of re-myelination. These cells are expanded in a GMP lab not post-transplantation! This is a specific type of cell to solve a specific type of problem in the damaged cord.

Thanks Jim,

But doesn't it make sense that one singular mononuclear cell injected to the target would multiply on its own and eventually over time would reach the goal?

Thanks Jim,

But doesn't it make sense that one singular mononuclear cell injected to the target would multiply on its own and eventually over time would reach the goal?
    No regulatory agency would approve a stem cell line that multiplies after transplantation!!!!