Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another "positive" stem cell result for hand movement for a quad?

Another "positive" stem cell result for hand movement for a quad?

A friend sent me this link http://www.huffingtonpost.com/don-c-..._11889544.html. I'm not sure what to think as all the research I see goes nowhere. I've been highly sceptical of most stem cell "breakthroughs" as it just looks like advertising to bring in funds then by the time they get the money together things have moved on and it is pointless continuing with the research. That is my impression from ChinaSCI anyway.

So does anyone know if this project is going to move forward or be another with miracle results on one person??

This is similar to another great positive news from Asterias that was covered last week in other threads. It appears that Roman Reed had given grants to both.

Here is the link.

https://blog.cirm.ca.gov/2016/09/07/...-cell-therapy/

Same person/study.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Same person/study.
    Yes you are right

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    I'm not sure what to think as all the research I see goes nowhere. I've been highly sceptical of most stem cell "breakthroughs" as it just looks like advertising to bring in funds then by the time they get the money together things have moved on and it is pointless continuing with the research. That is my impression from ChinaSCI anyway.

So does anyone know if this project is going to move forward or be another with miracle results on one person??
    This person (Kris Boesen) was only one of the patients in the Ph 1/2 Asterias Biotherapeutics trial "SCiStar Study" that received 10 million OPC. The trial has now moved on to the 20 million cell category for patient testing. These are preliminary safety studies taking place, not to viewed as guarantee of future therapy efficacy or the company success at this early stage.

All of the stem cells for SCI are in various FDA testing stages (including ChinaSCI umbilical cord blood cells, NeuralStem's neural cells or Schwann cells) and not to the clinic yet for public treatments. Some of the background is in these thread links.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?251623-Asterias-cohort-two (oligodendrocyte progenitor cells)

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?139662-ChinaSCINet-Update (umbilical cord blood cells)

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?229565-Update-for-Neuralstem-chronic-Spinal-cord-injury-trial-to-be-given&highlight=neuralstem (neural stem cells)

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?234080-Miami-project-opens-recruitment-for-chronic-SCI(schwann cells)

Last edited by GRAMMY; 09-11-2016 at 02:09 PM. Reason: spelling

6 months injured, he might have got that back without the stem cells. I'll continue to remain sceptical of all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    6 months injured, he might have got that back without the stem cells. I'll continue to remain sceptical of all of this.
    Exactly. Nobody knows anything with any certainty about the efficacy of stem cells for SCI or making it to the market for patient treatments until it's made it through the FDA process for the clinic and a company remains financially solvent.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 09-11-2016 at 09:37 PM.

That is very true. It will be hard to know for awhile if stem cells work for an acute injury or some of us might conclude that he or she might have gotten the improvement without the stem cells. But so far the studies seem to be safe as there has not been any adverse effect on the patient.

Also from my understanding from various stem cell types that 20 million is the number of cells that will show any real improvement for that stem cell type. Invivo has not done 20 million cells I think. I can't remember if Dr. Wise did 20 million cells yet.

Quote Originally Posted by scimike View Post
    That is very true. It will be hard to know for awhile if stem cells work for an acute injury or some of us might conclude that he or she might have gotten the improvement without the stem cells. But so far the studies seem to be safe as there has not been any adverse effect on the patient.
    We won't know anything about the cells or "adverse events" of any participants until the data is finally released on 9/14/16.

Invivo has not done 20 million cells I think.
    InVivo indeed hasn't included any cells in a human therapy. Zero. (Their Bioengineered Neural Trails scaffold gel for chronic they are developing hasn't started and they haven't released any information as to what exact cells they plan to put in their treatment or how many they may decide to include in it). No stem cell company affiliation has been disclosed.

For now, they're a biotech company simply working on the acute investigational bioresorbable polymer scaffold that is designed for implantation at the site of acute injury within a spinal cord contusion. It provides structural support to the spared spinal tissue and a supportive matrix to facilitate endogenous repair processes and degrades over several weeks but contains no stem cells at all when inserted into the acute contusion. They're at Ph 3 with the scaffold trial called "Inspire" and a proposed completion date of next June 2017.

I can't remember if Dr. Wise did 20 million cells yet.
    I read that they went up to 6.4 million stem cells.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 09-11-2016 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added a sentence

I got a dumb or smart question on my mind that is what's the importance of the amount of cells injected since they multiply on their own?? I mean, if one single cell would be injected, wouldn't it multiply to millions eventually in the long run??

another thought: 1 cell would multiply till forming/fixing an organ or tissue... now an injection of a soup of multiple cells, how would that work? do they all shake hands and merge together to form an organ/tissue??

Maybe Dr. Wise or other researcher in the field would be best to answer this... trying to understand better the mechanism...
    Last edited by Moe; 09-11-2016 at 09:52 PM.