Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your response to kids that ask about your chair?

Because I do not have an SCI my explanation is different that some others who use chairs. I tell them I can walk but it's hard for me so I use the chair. I haven't had them ask me more details after that. I don't answer questions adults ask unless they are standing across from me in a white coat in the exam room.

Depends on their age. If they are in the still believe in Santa Claus age I say "I was in a car accident and wasn't wearing a seat belt, so remember to always wear your seat belt like your parent's say". If they are above that age I tell them I was texting and driving and to never do that. That one usually elicits the kid(s) looking accusingly at their parents. If they are above 18 I ask them if they have ever heard about auto-erotic asphyxiation.

A kid of about three, explained it to me. He came up and said "Nice stroller mister, I have one when I get too tired to walk." I've passed that wisdom on to any kid or adult that asks.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Depends on their age. If they are in the still believe in Santa Claus age I say "I was in a car accident and wasn't wearing a seat belt, so remember to always wear your seat belt like your parent's say". If they are above that age I tell them I was texting and driving and to never do that. That one usually elicits the kid(s) looking accusingly at their parents. If they are above 18 I ask them if they have ever heard about auto-erotic asphyxiation.
    Jesus Tom, you had me laughing on that one!

I've got a 6 year old and often go to the playground with him, at least i did before i was on bedrest. then there are birthday parties, homeschool co-ops, playdates and so on so often not a day went by when some kid asked me about my chair. it's normal for kids to be curious--they ask questions about everything, like on sesame street "One of these things just isn't the same......"

although in my case it was "One of these dads just isn't the same."

in my case i tell them that I have an illness where the nerves in my body dont work,so my brain tells my legs to move and they're all like "NO, I don't want to!" that usually makes them laugh

I find they usually see that my 6 year old is at ease with the fact that I'm in a wheelchair and they kind of follow suit accordingly. occasionally I have a kid who asks more and more questions. The parents are often humiliated, they apologize for their child's natural curiosity about the world. they'll say things like "Don't bother him" One time, my son was playing with another boy at the library and as soon as the boy started talking to me, and asking questions about my chair his mother just whisked him away and said, I told you not to bother that man, now we're leaving." My son was sad, because he had been having a lot of fun playing with that kid. He has picked up on the fact that people sometimes look away or stare when they are around me.\

Funny story about this. . .

A kid recently asked me the same question. I started out by telling them that the spinal cord is like a telephone cable and your brain needs the cable to talk to the rest of your body. As I was explaining this, I noticed the kid was staring blankly at me. That's when I realized he'd never lived in a world where phones have cables on them!

Sometimes you just get reminded of your age. Am I right or am I right?

If they are above 18 I ask them if they have ever heard about auto-erotic asphyxiation.
    I like this one. I bet those conversations end quick.

If a kid asks me I say I crashed a motorcycle and hurt my back. Little kids don't have good reasoning skills, so they are usually fine with that (plus at that point 80% of parents are telling their kids to shut up).

If a grown ass adult asks me when I'm busy, like at work, they get a similar but more dismissive 3 word answer "crashed a motorcycle" and an immediate change of subject cuz the reason they came in to see me today ain't got nothing to do with my pathophysiology.

I just use mine as a lesson that it's not good to drink and drive. (We were hit by a drunken driver)
    C5/C6

You wood. lol
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    You wood. lol
    LMAO ( wood )