Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slip on Wheels for beach / off road

Slip on Wheels for beach / off road

I just came across these "Slip on Wheels" and it looks like an interesting concept. I've been searching for a solution where we can swap out wheels when using a Rio Mobility Firefly to lessen the bumps and jolts and make it more accessible off road. What keeps causing the problem is dealing with rear wheel spacing, sideguards, axles and having D's Locks. Anything that is going to fit is only a slight improvement, and does not seem worth the money and energy.

These are Kenda 26x450 beach / off road tires where you attach the rims using straps to the hand rims of the existing wheelchair wheels. I think it's a brilliant idea.

This is the website, which is a good Dutch company for equipment, and nice guys too! http://www.tnsrijen.nl/SOW

I feel a bit bad saying this, but this is something that could probably be rigged up pretty easily with tires, rims and finding good straps.

Of course, it will drastically change the rear seat height, but the front seat height can accommodate for that with a Firefly, or probably any handbike that rasies the casters or something like the Freewheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Blog Entries
    Neat idea. I wonder how heavy they'd need to be in order to be stiff enough, since they don't run on a rim or get filled with air pressure.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I can't imagine that they don't run on a rim, but have not had time to really look. How it attaches with the strap is what I am curious about.

[Edit: I removed the photo because it was a duplicate already posted]
    Last edited by elarson; 09-10-2016 at 08:20 AM.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Blog Entries
    Taking a closer look at the pics, yeah, you're right. Interesting idea.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Note that there are two valve stems to the right of the strap in the last picture. One would be for the original tire shown behind the push rim and the second for the ad on in front of the rim.
    Also in another picture, while you are at it, check out the freewheel (tm) type caster. It looks like a winner with it's extra width.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

wow what is that front middle wheel? its cool i want one

It is a Smartwheel, made by the same company, TNS http://www.tnsrijen.nl/Smartwheel. It is also available on their Webshop http://www.tnsrijen.nl/TNSshop/index.php?id_product=8&controller=product

Quote Originally Posted by rAdGie View Post
    wow what is that front middle wheel? its cool i want one
    Attached Images Attached Images   

nice thank you, bit pricey :P

Very interesting and thank you for sharing. I came across this company: http://www.workshopsolutions.com/COMPLETE/sandchr.htm

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I can't imagine that they don't run on a rim, but have not had time to really look. How it attaches with the strap is what I am curious about.

[Edit: I removed the photo because it was a duplicate already posted]
    That's a interesting set up for getting someone on the beach without having a purpose specific set of of wheels built. I hope someday that the fat bike wheels/tires are a factory option here from chair manufacturers.