Thread: New chair and casters

New chair and casters

So finally getting a new chair, yeaaaa
    My old chair is a ti-lite and it really suck for my bumpy world. The casters always get pushed back, because of the flimsy adjustment setup on this chair. Do have 6 inch casters and a bumpy place, with some gravel.

So my question, is there a ultralight chair with a stronger caster setup. Anybody else have this problem. Was going to go with smaller casters on the new chair.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

More information is needed. What TiLite chair do you have and can you show us the casters?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Hey thanks for the reply
    Can't seem to figure out how to upload a picture.
    I have a ti-lite 2 . The problem is that ti-lite uses a caster that can adjust the angle of the wheel to the frame, so you can adjust the axle up and down and what not. This adjustment on the top of the casters arm, inside the frame pice, is way to weak for my use. So what happens is the casters wheels get pushed back, way off of 90 degrees, and so you get really bad flutter, and it's harder to turn fast.

So I'm trying to figure out a chair that has a stronger setup on the casters attachment, so I don't have this problem on my new chair.

So how do other brand of chairs make this connection. If I did not live out in the sticks, could find other ultra light chairs and check it out.

Do most ultralight chairs have some way to change to angle of the casters? For this is what is not working very well right now. And yes I've taken it all apart, and concluded there is no way I can keep the casters wheels from getting pushed back. It's just not strong enough.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    . . Can't seem to figure out how to upload a picture. . .
    I upload pics by clicking on "Go Advanced," then scrolling down to and clicking on "Manage Attachments."
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I am not familiar with your chair, but here is a picture of my latest chair, there is no adjustments to it. Note: It has suspension forks. I would think it is a solid setup like you desire.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

...Do most ultralight chairs have some way to change to angle of the casters? ...
    No, most, nearly all cannot be adjusted. I find it frustrating since I stay in the used market. Some old Quickies can be adjusted, and they stay. I haven't checked new stock.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

. . . Do most ultralight chairs have some way to change to angle of the casters? . . .
    Presuming you mean angle of the caster forks, ultralight chairs with an adjustable rear-seat height (via changing frame height) typically have means to adjust the caster fork angle.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 09-11-2016 at 04:09 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

. . .I have a ti-lite 2 . . . .
    Which "2"? TiLite uses "2" in the model names of several chairs.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

So finally getting a new chair, yeaaaa
    My old chair is a ti-lite and it really suck for my bumpy world. The casters always get pushed back, because of the flimsy adjustment setup on this chair. Do have 6 inch casters and a bumpy place, with some gravel.

So my question, is there a ultralight chair with a stronger caster setup. Anybody else have this problem. Was going to go with smaller casters on the new chair.
    Sorry can't help on the caster question, but just wondering if you've ever tried the Free Wheel, as you mentioned some rough terrain. I've used one all over grass, stones, even on a few inches of snow, also icy pavement. Might be something to try if you intend to keep current chair as a back-up, and mount the device on it.
    Front wheels are suspended less than an inch when it's in use, thus taking away any impact on them while wheeling. It's easy to clamp it on and off footrest.