Thread: NEED HELP/ADVICE : 48 hours into SCI L1

NEED HELP/ADVICE : 48 hours into SCI L1

family friend Just broke his back. They preformed the stabilization surgery, he has no other complications/injurys. Where would you go for post-op rehab. etc if you could go ANYWHERE.

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    Hi Nicola - I was in the National Rehab Hospital (NRH) for my rehab - It is out where Washington Hospital Center is - Once I was out of NRH I got into The Kennedy Krieger Institute up in Baltimore, which is where I continue to get rehab.

Good luck,
    Treeza

Where is he located?

I went to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta and would go back if I had the choice to go anywhere.

i went to NRH and it was terrible. kennedy krieger had not been built. During your first week what do wish you had known or had explained to you.

Craig (Denver), Shepherd (Atlanta) or Krieger (New Jersey) are the best in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Where is he located?

I went to the Shepherd Center in Atlanta and would go back if I had the choice to go anywhere.
    he is in maryland. it has been sooooo long since my injury craig, shepherd, kessler and krieger are they ones that came to mind. Krieger is not a "model system"--why and does this change anyones opinion.

And, for anyone reading:
    what do wish you had known, as a patient and as the family in charge of the "first month".

try to get off drugs as soon as you can if possible. Sleep well, eat really well, take vitamin D, and a good therapy center as some of them mentioned above. Moral support from family and friends. Push him to do things if he is down on himself. If insurance does not pay after a few months then he really needs help from family and friends to push him to be active and to do things that are safe.

One of the most important things at this stage is to prevent pressure sores. We have seen it again and again, the first hospital doesn't do what they should and the patient develops a sore. You can download the guidelines for free here- http://www.pva.org/site/apps/ka/ec/p...ductID=2023534

Spaulding in Boston is good, Kessler institute in NJ

Best wishes in advocating for your friend

pbr