Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spinergy?

Spinergy?

Are spinergy wheels really worth the extra money for them. I got the standard wheel set on my new tilite aero z and i was thinking about getting an extra set of wheels but wasn't sure how much difference there is in a standard set of wheels compared to the spinergy.

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth422 View Post
    Are spinergy wheels really worth the extra money for them. I got the standard wheel set on my new tilite aero z and i was thinking about getting an extra set of wheels but wasn't sure how much difference there is in a standard set of wheels compared to the spinergy.
    I'm sitting here on a pair of Spinergy LX's that I bought used over 10 years ago from a generous CC member. So I am a fan. I do have two sets and alternate because of the tires I have on each set of rims and what I am using the wheels for. I am not as active as when I was a young buck but they still get a good workout and hold up well for me.

There is a lot of new technology out there but these have turned out to work very well for me. Durable and have maintained their integrity / tightness.

I know people that own or have used them that are getting away from them. One is a C5 quad that swears up and down that he can feel the difference between a metal-spoked wheel and the "sloppiness" of the 12-spoked LX's.
    The forgiveness factor of flexible spokes is why I was drawn to them, but probably more so as a new injury they seemed "cooler". Now, as a user of a box frame chair with a "catch-all" carrying net under my chair, I find it far easier to reach through the wheel from the side to grab things I keep down there (cath pack). I don't think I could go away from a 12-spoked wheel because of that habit. There is another option with less flex - Round Betty Dino's.

It's a personal choice, but I imagine most people buy Spinergy's simply for their look.

I run spinergy xlace, big difference compared to regular lx. my d's don't even bounce with these.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I'm rolling on a set of Sun Fusion 16 wheels (similar to the Spinergy X-lace wheel). Priced w/Out Front the Natural Fit hand rims (w/super grip) and set of Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evolution tires for less than the cost of the Spinergy LX or X-lace wheels alone. Heck, if you shop around you could probably add new axles as well. Not that Synergy wheels aren't worth the price. I decided to go with the Sun Fusions after online dealers prices went from the mid 500 to over 800 for a set (maybe, a call might result in a lower price-maybe). Unrelated-I Luckily received the Marathon Plus Evo HS 348 instead of the newer HS 440. Both are great tires but I prefer the older tread pattern (I just think they roll better). Also, you can always customize the wheels with paint, Platidip or spoke wraps to change their color (easier to do with metal spokes). I find the advice of members of the forum is a great resource and a helpful tool to help with your extra set of wheels but if you can try before you buy, that's the only way to know what will be the right for you. Good luck.

Thank you for all the responses. I wish I could try out before I buy but due to wear I live that isn't possible. What do the Sun Fusions look like?

pic attached (source link):
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Thanks chasmengr, I tried earlier to post a link and picture but was told that my reply needed to be approved by mod before posting. Is there a faster process or am I missing something?