Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spinergy?

Quote Originally Posted by BriHiFi View Post
    Thanks chasmengr, I tried earlier to post a link and picture but was told that my reply needed to be approved by mod before posting. Is there a faster process or am I missing something?
    I'm not sure, but you have very few posts compared to me. In the past this site has had many spam&troll problems; I can imagine members with minimal posts have their posts reviewed to ensure their legitimacy.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Is there a magic number I need to hit? Maybe a mod can message me with a reply explaining the perameters on posting pics /links and what I need to do (and why they never got around to post it). At the very least let me know if I did something wrong or improperly. Who would have thought a handicap forum to make you feel more handicapped. Just making a little humor out out this. I get the reasoning. Thank for your reply, it's much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    I am a t4, since I can't see anyone's level of injury anymore... So for me the weight difference isn't what it entails, it's about the number of spokes-chance of breaking fingers. I have big hands, live in the mountains and have always pushed more by hands atop the tire and gripping through the spokes than using the handrims. I bought a chair from ebay that had spinergy spox(18 spokes) years ago and love them. So much so, that I have to add a bearing to maintain the spacing between the frame and wheel on the chair I use now. I had another chair that I had to use TWO bearings to maintain spacing. This caused a lot of problems with bearings running away getting in and out of my vehicle until I put a stringer of spares in the ashtray. The other set of el-cheapo eleventy seven spokes per wheel got relegated to the spare parts bin. I can't tell you HOW many times I broke/injured my fingers until I got the set of spox. Matter of fact, this thread just got me to looking at ebay for another set...now I know why I bought a smaller than needed chair then. Folks get chairs/parts for free from insurance, then turn right around and sell them at HIGH prices to POOR gimps that can only dream about them. Sad bunch of 'people'. I also saw a dealer that is making a slew of high end manual and power chairs available for 1/10th of what they cost new. Some of which, if it had been available when I first got injured, I would have been able to either reenter the workforce OR better yet, have been able to build/sell mobility equipment at prices we can afford. I'll post the link in another thread, sorry about the rant here. Moral of the story, the FEWER spokes the safer the rim, light weight aside.

Thanks mods, pic and link posted.

Elizabeth, I just did a current price comparison with this result as follows:

Spinergy LX w/ free hand rims, basic everyday tire and tubes = $805.50

Sun Fusion 16 (25") w/ free tubes and anodized hand rims
    Out Front - The Natural Fit w/ super grip and mounting hardware (on sale)
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus Evolution tires (pair)
    pair of big black button stainless steel axles
    pair of extra tubes (25" w/ shrader valves)
    pair of Froglegs aluminum epic soft roll casters (5"x1.4")
    Spinergy wheelchair wheel bag (really nice w/ room to store everything) = $750.50 (at the time of this post)
    That's a $55 difference. Note - Sizes above are for example and the price will be different for other sizes.

For just an extra set of wheels, this is an excellent value for a great set of good looking performance wheels.
    I know the importance of have a extra set of wheels. While on a trip with my family, upon arriving at our hotel, my wife went to pump my tires and when releasing the pump from the valve the tire started to release all the air from the base of the valve stem. At this point, you can imagine the panic and stress this cause the whole family. This was my first flat and needing the wheelchair full time, we learned a valuable lesson. Luckily, a quick google map search directed us to a nearby bike shop and within 20 minutes, all was right again. Needless to say, the search for spare wheels began before our trip ended. I like the Spinery LX and X-Laced wheels (having tried them). They were my first choice but having done a bit of research (nightly at the hotel), I couldn't justify the price for all that you get over the Spinergy wheels. But for a spare set, it was a no brainier. They're now my primary wheels and the TiLite Shadows are my spares. Hope this helps you further.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    I am a t4, since I can't see anyone's level of injury anymore... So for me the weight difference isn't what it entails, it's about the number of spokes-chance of breaking fingers. I have big hands, live in the mountains and have always pushed more by hands atop the tire and gripping through the spokes than using the handrims. I bought a chair from ebay that had spinergy spox(18 spokes) years ago and love them. So much so, that I have to add a bearing to maintain the spacing between the frame and wheel on the chair I use now. I had another chair that I had to use TWO bearings to maintain spacing. This caused a lot of problems with bearings running away getting in and out of my vehicle until I put a stringer of spares in the ashtray. The other set of el-cheapo eleventy seven spokes per wheel got relegated to the spare parts bin. I can't tell you HOW many times I broke/injured my fingers until I got the set of spox. Matter of fact, this thread just got me to looking at ebay for another set...now I know why I bought a smaller than needed chair then. Folks get chairs/parts for free from insurance, then turn right around and sell them at HIGH prices to POOR gimps that can only dream about them. Sad bunch of 'people'. I also saw a dealer that is making a slew of high end manual and power chairs available for 1/10th of what they cost new. Some of which, if it had been available when I first got injured, I would have been able to either reenter the workforce OR better yet, have been able to build/sell mobility equipment at prices we can afford. I'll post the link in another thread, sorry about the rant here. Moral of the story, the FEWER spokes the safer the rim, light weight aside.
    I get wheelchairs through insurance...."free"....my monthly premiums aren't exactly free.

As for the original poster's question, I have used Spinergy LXs on 3 of my last 4 chairs and Topolino's on the other. It is hard to say if they are worth it for each person. I personally like them over the basic rims, dino's, and the other Spinergy wheels. I prefer Topolino's over the LXs though. I switch between 2 wheelchairs daily and you can feel the difference between the 2. One isn't exactly better than the other, its preference.

If you really are just looking at backup wheels, I would just get a cheaper set of wheels or look around on ebay for a used set of LXs to try out (if you buy used and don't like them, you can pretty much resell them and not lose money).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pacrossbow View Post
    I get wheelchairs through insurance...."free"....my monthly premiums aren't exactly free.

If you really are just looking at backup wheels, I would just get a cheaper set of wheels or look around on ebay for a used set of LXs to try out (if you buy used and don't like them, you can pretty much resell them and not lose money).
    Just for reference, I have never sold a vehicle I have ever owned, gave them all away to folks that had a need for them when I bought another one. I buy used also. Only owned one new car and bought only one new bike for a gf years ago. Had 7 motorcycles when I was paralyzed, gave those away to different folks also. My Quickie 2(first chair) I rode for 7 years, gave to an older gent in an ill fitting hospital type chair that I met in a physiatrist's office. Got his address and took it to him that day. I was dirt poor growing up, so I have a different approach to life than most. The "Do unto others" approach has worked well throughout my life, I am still dirt poor, but it seems when I really need a hand up, it is there at the appropriate moment. That's the so called 'pay it forward' bit you see now days in ads and commercials, as if it was a NEW thing. That's what we of old called being raised right.

Oftentimes, you can see used mobility equipment on Craigslist also. If I am in the market for equipment, I start searching ebay, craigslist and various sites that sell used equipment for end users. DME's usually have 'post it' boards if you are in a big city also.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 09-09-2016 at 04:05 AM. Reason: known only to the editor...

Yes that looks like a good value for an extra set. For me having an extra set of wheels is a must. I travel alot and while if my father or brother in law is with me a flat isn't a big deal because they can fix it. However, if i am alone or with my mother or sister we won't be able to replace the tube so I want an extra wheels to simply pop on. I am planning on doing the same thing as you having the spinergy as my main wheels and the tilite shadows are going to be my spares.

If I purchase Spinergy lx wheels will i need a new set of axles for them to fit my tilite aero Z?

If you own the no additional charge TiLite/Out Front Shadow, then yes. Your current axles would be measured from inside the locknut to the inside of the lock bearings. Shadows would require a measurement of 4 inches minimum. Spinergy LX would require 3.87 inches minimum. The hub sizes are different. So, I'm pretty sure but you can confirm with the dealer. They should ask you what chair and wheels you'll be installing and set you up with the correct size. Keep in mind, even then the axles might require adjusting for a proper fit. The following are TiLite axle part numbers for the corresponding wheels. And I believe the Sun Fusion 16's are the same measurements as the Spinergy LX. Can't help with aftermarket axles but again the dealer should fix you up.
    • Size: 4.00" (3.68" min) (CP101035) Fits: Spinergy SPOX & Spinergy LX narrow hub wheels
    • Size: 4.00" (3.88" min) (CP102619) Fits: Shadow, Spinergy Wire, & Mag wheels

Quote Originally Posted by elizabeth422 View Post
    Are spinergy wheels really worth the extra money for them. I got the standard wheel set on my new tilite aero z and i was thinking about getting an extra set of wheels but wasn't sure how much difference there is in a standard set of wheels compared to the spinergy.
    I'm going to respond to your original post about a couple of items. First is the axle length and swapping between wheels. The bearing spacing in the wheels is what determines this. They have to match, hopefully someone knows. \
    You said you want to be able to pop these on in case of a flat. It might not be that simple due to your brake setup needing to be adjusted. I have push/pull brakes which I am fine with, but I hate adjusting them. You may too.
    If you picked up an exact set of the "standard wheels" like came with your aero z, none of these issues would be in play. Additionally if asked here I bet someone has a set they would part with dirt cheap. Put up a picture of what yours look like for best results.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.