Thread: i saw this indiegogo for intermittent cath /neurogenic bladder fix-but IMO seems OFF

i saw this indiegogo for intermittent cath /neurogenic bladder fix-but IMO seems OFF

https://igg.me/at/spinalsingularity/x/12805049
    is the IndieGoGo link to the page, i dont know it just seems like they are overstating the problems of IC like it is the biggest problem for someone with a SCi , and IMO are really overplaying the horriness of IC. They have raised over $50,000 also, i really doubt they will manufacture this product, but maybe that is me and my sceptical side.

I cath daily and have for over 15 years, i have use of my hands, but they are also putting para in this mix. I can think of a hell of a lot of other problems to deal with and think IC is the least of my worries. The caths nowadays have really evolved and are so much more comfortable , contrary to their description the stone age type caths we are forced to use. The VA/medicare doesn't even have to reuse them anymore , that is a huge improvement alone that is not mentioned.
    maybe it is me i don't get it, sounds like a quasi tear jerker to raise money . and how is it spent
    cauda equina

Interesting idea but it seems all he had is a vague idea ("like a smartphone") and likely little experience with the FDA approval process.

It's a fantastic idea... unfortunately I don't think it would work very well. He's basically saying you're gonna have an indwelling catheter with some electronics inside it for 30 days at a time... that sure seems like a setup for infection. Plus I couldn't see anything like that working well. How much time would you have from whatever kind of "alarm" is set on the bladder pressure to get to a bathroom before you had some leakage? Although if I could piss in 30 seconds instead of 3 minutes with all the manipulation involved in getting out a bag, unwrapping a catheter, draining the tank, disposing of the catheter and putting the bag back away, I might be able to work it into my schedule to just go a little more often.

Still though, even if it's not successful at least someone is trying something new. If it does go through, I hope they make a way to attach it to a bag as well. That way you could get through all of the training of your bladder and your smart phone without making a mess a hundred times before you get it right.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

The comparison 'chart' at the bottom was wrong in many points. Read it. This is ONLY advantageous to those who can stand. It is essentially am indwelling cath with a pressure sensor and transmitter to tell you you need to go squeeze your pecker so you can pee. Imagine the cost for this one, lol. I for one would be wary of the rf effects, since it is a concern of mine with phones, wifi, bluetooth, etc. Anyway, it isn't going to be much of a difference than a foley, except for those who can stand up, to use it. I emphasize one again, the false statement in the comparison chart. Also, those with mental disabilities will not be served at ALL with this, although he includes them with the 'benefits from' camp. If I get a phonecall alerting me I have to go wee wee, I wheel out of sight, squeeze my pecker, and have a lap full of pee. Smack myself on the head...I coulda used my old foley/tubing/legbag setup and wouldn't have to go home to change lol. $$$$ and limited to an even smaller market so the price is always going to be high. $0.02 from John
    How does The Connected Catheter compare to other solutions?
    DeviceMeasures PressureAllows Bladder EmptyingUser Controls VoidingCan be Inserted by UserFully Internal to User?s Body
    Intermittent CatheterNOYESYESYESNO
    Indwelling CatheterNOSOMETIMESYESNOYES
    Supra-Pubic CatheterYESNONONONO
    Connected CatheterYESYESYESYESYES

one of the claims that concerned me was the unpleasantness of cath, i have full sensation, and i have no problems with pain or discomfort. This claim of cathing as a horrible experience that the individual has to perform multiple time a day scares away elderly people that should be cathing due to urine retention, and since there is this phobia of inserting these painful plastic straws, reinforced by this article, it steers the elderly away from the low risk of cathing to more invasive urological experiences like green light laser surgery or years of urine retention resulting in kidney failure.
    taught my 90 + year old father to cath this year, since he had been retaining over 600 ml of urine a day for over 2 years. The local doctors don't know how to cath , don't recommend it , they only want to perform invasive surgery. after 6 months of cathing , and after getting past the initial mental problems , he now says it is no big deal and is glad i intervened. Another friend of the family recently deceased due to problems associated with extreme urine retention.
    For people with loss of hand dexterity , cathing 4 plus times a day is a problem, but for those who have use of hands , it can be performed in 3 minutes with no mess, and no pain or discomfort. I find the newer hydrophilic caths much more comfortable then the PVC type caths i was originally supplied.
    cauda equina