Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping myself hydrated by drinking a lot before going to bed

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Just FYI your body makes less urine at night. The hormone ADH is increased at night so you, me, and all the ABs out there don't have to get up and pee in the middle of a nice, fitfull 6.5 hours of sleep...
    As I understood this, those paralyzed lost this hormone.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    As I understood this, those paralyzed lost this hormone.
    Citation needed
    C5-C6 #quadlife

Hi C5C6,

If you literally mean "You plug the foley" as in clamp so it doesn't drain - You are asking for kidney trouble.

If you are putting a Foley in every night, you are in danger of UTI.

An SCI experienced urologist can help. Is that easy to come by in Argentina?

I echo everything in GJ's response.

Here are references to several studies that suggest, at a minimum, ADH (antidiuretic hormone) suppression in spinal cord injury.

All the best,
    GJ

Diurnal variation of antidiuretic hormone (ADH) and urinary output in spinal cord injury

S. Kilinc, NM Akman, F. Levendoglu, and R. Ozker
    Baskent University School of Medicine, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Ankara, Turkey
    Introduction:
    Healthy individuals have a nocturnal decrease in urine output due to increased
    plasma antidiuretic hormone levels at night. This does not occur in spinal cord injury and
    most patients experience nocturnal polyuria, which triggers dysre?exic crises secondary to
    urinary bladder overdistension, and interferes with patients' sleep due to the need for extra
    catheterization.
    Objective:
    To evaluate the diurnal variation in ADH level, urinary output, and plasma and
    urine osmolality in SCI patients with regard to their level of injury and in comparison with
    age- and sex-matched healthy individuals.
    Materials and methods:
    Sixteen ASIA-A spinal cord-injured patients, eight with paraplegia,
    eight with tetraplegia, and eight healthy individuals, were evaluated for urinary output, urine
    and serum osmolality, and antidiuretic hormone levels during day and night hours.
    Results:
    Absence of diurnal variation in urinary output and antidiuretic hormone secretion
    was detected in both paraplegic and tetraplegic patients, while antidiuretic hormone levels rose
    significantly at night in the control group.
    Conclusion:
    Antidiuretic hormone levels should be monitored both day and night in spinal
    cord injury patients with severe nocturnal polyuria. Treatment with desaminocystein-D
    -arginine vasopressin can be attempted when conservative measures fail to control nocturnal
    polyuria, especially in patients who are on an intermittent catheterization program.

http://www.nature.com/sc/journal/v37/n5/pdf/3100814a.pdf?origin=publication_detail

Attached Images Attached Images   

thanks for posting that article from PubMed gjnl

C5C6 - I disagree with your method about drinking a large amount of water before bedtime and plugging your catheter. You are placing a large amount of pressure within your bladder and in turn that pressure can "back up" into your kidneys. If that pressure backing up into your kidneys continues over a period of time you run the risk of hydronephrosis (fluid around your kidneys) over time that can damage your kidneys.

I had a patient who would intermittent self catheterize during the day and then place an indwelling foley at night for that diuresis that occurs (a large amount of urine output at night). My goals for my spinal cord injured patients is always protect the kidneys.

I would recommend a urodynamics study by urology and get recommendations specific to your bladder/kidney function.

pbr

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    C5C6 - I disagree with your method about drinking a large amount of water before bedtime and plugging your catheter.

pbr
    I think many of us (I did) had difficulty interpreting the phrase "plug the foley." Turns out what C5C6 meant was "insert the foley." See post #8.

All the best,
    GJ

I really don't have anything to add other than I concur with the people who are concerned about the routine. While my motto is protect the kidneys, I also like to see people have a reasonable quality of life. It is Very important to have the testing done annually - or close to it. Bladders, like the rest of your body change over your lifetime.
    ckf

Stupid question - Can ADH hormone be added in pills or something to improve our bladder control?
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

My body doesn't produce much urine overnight and in the mornings, when I wake up and sit the head of the bed up a bit, I sometimes produce 800-1500 ccs of urine within an hour or so. Is this due to that hormone or body/bladder position with the SP catheter? I don't think my bladder has that much stored in it or I'd be getting AD-ish or leak around my stoma, which is a current problem. Perhaps my body is still getting this ADH?

Blog Entries
    I drink a minimum of a gallon of Ginger root tea per day. I drink it for prevention of inflammation, good digestive system function, and less pain overall(due to #1). ANYTHING that contains caffeine REMOVES water from your body(bad for ya) so you just have to drink MORE water to make up for it. If caffeinated drinks are your main drink, you are robbing your organs and your brain of water, harming yourself. I eat a lot of water-rich fruits and vegetables, which adds to my urine output. I am a vegan.
    I use a foley, for almost 20 years. wear a legbag 24/7. I sleep 6 hrs or less, some days I 'catch up' and sleep more if it's a bad pain day or a bad head day(tumor). When I lay down in my bed, I pee MORE often because then, the fluid retained in my lower body/legs gets to drain out also. I drink right up to going to sleep, and when I wake up I feel my bladder and or legbag to see if I'm backed up or it is full and go to drain it most nites at least 3 times. Due to my shoulder pain, back pain, I can't sleep in one position long without rolling onto the other shoulder or my back, often. I have to grab my mattress, overhead bar, or far side of mattress to move my body. I also keep the ginger tea in my chair and drink about a quart throughout my sleep time. I like to keep my pee with just a little color to it, so I don't encourage uti's or sediment. Because of a healthy diet, I have NEVER had problems with electrolyte levels or any other problems associated with high fluid intake. I drink hot/warm fluids to maintain body temp when it is 75 degrees or less, which means I drink a LOT in colder months. I must empty my bag at least every 2 hours minimum a day. Once again, I eat different than most, no gmo/gmo containing foods, no animal products, organic grown for all I can find, and my general health is above average, even without riding my handcycle for the last 4 years. But I am very active otherwise. Take no meds, other than an anti-seizure med for a tumor on my cerebellum. My food is my medicine, nature provides back up. What you put IN your body, is what you can expect to get out of it. You don't put muddy water in your vehicle's gas tank and expect it to be the baddest on the road, now do ya?