Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping myself hydrated by drinking a lot before going to bed

Lightbulb Keeping myself hydrated by drinking a lot before going to bed

Hello! My bladder does not hold more than 300cc. I would like to share my strategy for keeping myself hydrated and at the same time not having to run to the bathroom every half an hour.

I basically drink somewhere around a liter of water before going to bed, plug the foley, and sleep like a champ. I would then wake up, take the foley out, and during the day keep my water intake low (but not null).

I would like to hear your opinion about this, if someone thinks it could be harmful.

Thanks in advance!

I don't understand your method.

Your bladder only holds 300cc of urine, yet you drink 1 liter or 1000cc of water before going to bed. During the night, that 1000cc is going to be processed through the kidneys and most of it will be excreted into the bladder, which seems like your bladder would become overfull and begin to cause bladder spasms indicating you need to empty your bladder.

How can a plugged/clamped foley catheter help you sleep through the night? The urine should be draining into a night drain bag. A plugged/clamped catheter is dangerous because the urine in an over full bladder can reflux back up into the kidneys if it isn't allowed to drain.

Why do you keep you water intake low during the day? You should be ingesting about 2 liters (max 2.5 liters) of water (which includes, coffee, tea, juices, and liquids inherently in the foods you eat) at regular intervals in a 24 hour period.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 09-06-2016 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    You should be ingesting about 2 liters (max 2.5 liters) of water (which includes, coffee, tea, juices, and liquids inherently in the foods you eat) at regular intervals in a 24 hour period.

All the best,
    GJ
    I don't log my intake but I pee about 4.5 litres every 24 hours, is this way over the top?

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru View Post
    I don't log my intake but I pee about 4.5 litres every 24 hours, is this way over the top?
    Seems like 4.5 liters output in 24 hours is a lot. If you are drinking tons of water, you may be upsetting your electrolyte balance, which can put you at risk of hyponatremia. A couple of years ago, I was in intensive care for 7 days with a sodium level of 106 mEq/L (milliequivalents per liter) and in a babbling coma for 17 hours. It was nip and tuck if I would live or die. Normal sodium levels are between 135 and 145 mEq/L. Try to monitor you intake and your output. Ask you doctor about having an electrolyte panel to check blood levels of carbon dioxide, potassium, chloride and sodium.

All the best,
    GJ

I'm pretty sure he means 'installs' a foley at night. I do the opposite, I like to eat salty food before bed to retain urine.

I'm such a picture of health!

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    I'm pretty sure he means 'installs' a foley at night.
    Okay, that makes more sense. Bit of a language/usage barrier.

However, my last question stands,
    "Why do you keep you water intake low during the day? You should be ingesting about 2 liters (max 2.5 liters) of water (which includes, coffee, tea, juices, and liquids inherently in the foods you eat) at regular intervals in a 24 hour period."

All the best,
    GJ

Just FYI your body makes less urine at night. The hormone ADH is increased at night so you, me, and all the ABs out there don't have to get up and pee in the middle of a nice, fitfull 6.5 hours of sleep...

Tough I also assumed he meant he connects the foley to a bag for the night.

Sorry for the wrong expression. I meant I put the foley with the bag and drained all the urine through it.

The reason I do this is because my bladder can't hold more than 300cc so the more I drink the more I have tio cath and I have more risk of voiding.

So: instead of taking 2 liters between 7AM and 10PM I take 1 liter before going to bed and 1 liter between 7AM and 10PM. Make sense? Less intake during the day, but overall still taking 2 liters.

I have condom catheter and bed bag of 2 liters almost full every morning.
    During the night I am waking up several times to change position and than I usually
    take sip of water from my bottle (in total 500 to 700 ml);
    My bladder is pumping out as soon as quantity in bladder reach 450 cc but
    residue of 200 cc is always there - so before stretching and exercise in the morning
    my wife is helping me with IC to empty bladder. (only 1 IC per day and some days none);
    During the day I drink when I feel thirsty...and usually empty my 1 Liter leg bag
    (with 70-80 % content) twice.
    Is this regime good?
    www.MiracleofWalk.com

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary
    to what we know about nature
    Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by comad View Post
    I have condom catheter and bed bag of 2 liters almost full every morning.
    During the night I am waking up several times to change position and than I usually
    take sip of water from my bottle (in total 500 to 700 ml);
    My bladder is pumping out as soon as quantity in bladder reach 450 cc but
    residue of 200 cc is always there - so before stretching and exercise in the morning
    my wife is helping me with IC to empty bladder. (only 1 IC per day and some days none);
    During the day I drink when I feel thirsty...and usually empty my 1 Liter leg bag
    (with 70-80 % content) twice.
    Is this regime good?
    When did you last have urodynamics testing? Over time with spinal cord injury, bladders change and it may be time to change your bladder management. Condom catheterization is no longer suggested as a first line of management in modern rehabilitation modalities.

All the best,
    GJ