Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Me Before You

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Interjecting this ... Hopefully you younger ones will NOT face decades of paralysis.

https://blog.cirm.ca.gov/2016/09/07/...-cell-therapy/
    Thank you very much for this. And God willing! And if we play apart, there is no more commendable and Noble accomplishment worthy of praise as well as self-respect. Even if it doesn't help us! Unless of course you got the cure for cancer lol that is one of the few things that would possibly be more of an accomplishment talked about leaving your mark, cmaking the world a better place!

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    You don't have much self respect, nor feel you have much worth or value. That much is clear. The thing is, having respect for oneself or another person, and having respect for a condition (quadriplegia) are different things. You don't have to respect the latter, you certainly don't have to embrace it. You can despise it and you can even be disgusted by it.

A condition is a state, it just IS. Quadriplegia is just a condition that IS, and like it or not, one really has no other choice (excepting death) than to deal. Some deal better than others. Some deal particularly well in even unimaginable circumstances. But learning to deal, maybe even dealing in a positive and hopeful way does not equate to respecting and embracing the condition, much less liking or loving it.

What you respect is the person who is dealing with the condition.
    There is no 'dignity' in a condition. There's only dignity in HOW one deals with the condition.
    everything you said made perfect sense until your last sentence. That's clear delusion. If a condition leads to an undignified procedure, and a frankly pathetic completely dependent worse then infancy life style then it is an undignified condition. If you cope with something that is disgusting that does not make it not disgusting. when grown man, healthy man have to get their prostate checked the hairs on theif back stand up, The procedure is not even 10 seconds, and it sure as hell isn't fear of pain that's the main factor that makes our natural response repulsion. For God sakes most men take shits six times the size of a finger. Goodness this is the kind of "Stuff" that makes me shiver.

reminds me of the poster at my rehabilitation centre " they told him he'd never walk again, he became a sled hockey champion, he proved them wrong!" Blew my mind, and that kind of "stuff" is all over the walls there that is what they have to indoctrinate. Except of course they would not ever put anything about dignity or indignity inContext to sci out in public let alone bowel care. It's just something swept under the rug until the doors closed! To be 100% honest, and this isn't a nice thing to say but it is what it is to even be associated with a "group" that is supposed to be motivated let alone believe those kind of statements makes me suicidal on it's own! that's why I had such a fucking hard time in rehab, this kind of filth was everywhere, posters, what people said doctors, patients, even had my family talking like that briefly until I quickly and harshly made them realize how distorted to say the least such a perspective was. It's not like I can get out of the association with the group, can't just put in my resignation and erase it from my life. like you said only death can do that. Grave situation indeed!

James' response to Oddity - I was just quickly skimming the last few posts and this (in bold) caught my eye.

So James, can you tell us more about this?
    Google two arms and a head. Then read it. It was written by A man named Clayton that used to be a member here, before he ended his life. at times it is just very angry and miserable banter and other times it is very well written frankly relieving breath of realism that is so rare amongst the disabled community, in a tragic way it is quite beautiful! Many people outside of myself have addressed it as a reality most of us would rather not to Think about, but that doesn't make it any less valid and valuable.

We'll never stop this train.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    Google two arms and a head. Then read it. It was written by A man named Clayton that used to be a member here, before he ended his life. at times it is just very angry and miserable banter and other times it is very well written frankly relieving breath of realism that is so rare amongst the disabled community, in a tragic way it is quite beautiful! Many people outside of myself have addressed it as a reality most of us would rather not to Think about, but that doesn't make it any less valid and valuable.
    Clayton. Wow. Now there's a blast from the past. Here's a big ol' thread about his suicide. We all had somethin' to say about it.

Am I deluded? Maybe. But if that keeps me from hating my life, so be it. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm aware of that writing. I was more curious why you would say Oddity was the FIRST to call him cowardly and weak.

everything you said made perfect sense until your last sentence. That's clear delusion. If a condition leads to an undignified procedure, and a frankly pathetic completely dependent worse then infancy life style then it is an undignified condition. If you cope with something that is disgusting that does not make it not disgusting. ...
    It's clear you don't understand the meaning of the words (respect, dignity, etc.) as they're being applied, or just simply refuse to get it as a convenient means to reinforce your critical judgment of others and satisfy your ego.

And AGAIN, coping (be it productive or not) with that which is disgusting DOES NOT make the thing not disgusting.

No need to continue repeating again and again to someone refusing to hear.

Blog Entries
    I'm aware of that writing. I was more curious why you would say Oddity was the FIRST to call him cowardly and weak.
    Clayton and I rode motorcycles together before either of us landed an SCI. I got hurt before he did. I may well have been the first to call BS on him but I was dealing with it IRL, not online. I avoided his nonsense, double user posting, arguing with himself, etc, around here. He actually turned me on to CareCure, but I didn't become an active poster (as DaleB) until shortly after he killed himself. After a while I did share a letter his mom wrote me, to underscore the impact of his weakness and inability to cope, under my previous username. He and I didn't see eye to eye on anything about the challenge of living with SCI.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Oddity - yes. I'm familiar with that.

I was curious how James is familiar, when, per profile info, is 24 yrs old, injured in 2012 and joining CC in 2013. All the stuff re you and Clay was before he was even injured and not as your current user name. So search wouldn't have provided the info and not shown Oddity supposedly attacking. Unless you knew James IRL 8 years ago, before he was even SCI'd.

Now you revealed it before James had a chance to respond!
    Last edited by chick; 09-08-2016 at 06:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    Oddity - yes. I'm familiar with that.

I was curious how James is familiar, when, per profile info, is 24 yrs old, injured in 2012 and joining CC in 2013. All the stuff re you and Clay was before he was even injured and not as your current user name. So search wouldn't have provided the info and not shown Oddity supposedly attacking. Unless you knew James IRL 8 years ago, before he was even SCI'd.

Now you revealed it before James had a chance to respond!
    Ahhhh...I see.

I recall James brining up some Clayton worship in a past thread in which I responded as I am apt to do.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments