Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Me Before You

This film is another in a long line of thinly veiled hate films about people with disabilities...it is not a happy love story. It is a story about how there is no point in going on with life with a disability, and that the right way to respond to it is to be bitter, angry, and commit suicide so that no one else has to support you or you are no longer a burden on society. The AB attendant who falls in love with this man is another example of do-gooder "saviors" that appear in many such films, and they set my teeth on edge as well. If you like "Whose Life is it Anyway?" and "Million Dollar Baby", you will probably love this film.

https://crippledscholar.wordpress.co...you-criticism/

http://newbostonpost.com/2016/06/03/...nasia-message/

http://www.salon.com/2016/05/24/spar...jectification/

https://storify.com/dominickevans/sa...fter#publicize

https://shaneclifton.com/2016/02/05/...me-before-you/

The general reviews of the book and the movie I have read seem mostly positive, some calling it a love story akin to Jane Eyre/Edward Rochester.
    What an insult to Charlotte Bronte and fine literature! It was not well written, and the comparison is totally bogus!

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    What an insult to Charlotte Bronte and fine literature! It was not well written, and the comparison is totally bogus!

(KLD)
    I'm not defending the book or movie, just observing 6 million and counting copies of the book sold. I doubt the box office will be very big.

All the best,
    GJ

This film is another in a long line of thinly veiled hate films about people with disabilities...it is not a happy love story. It is a story about how there is no point in going on with life with a disability, and that the right way to respond to it is to be bitter, angry, and commit suicide so that no one else has to support you or you are no longer a burden on society. The AB attendant who falls in love with this man is another example of do-gooder "saviors" that appear in many such films, and they set my teeth on edge as well. If you like "Whose Life is it Anyway?" and "Million Dollar Baby", you will probably love this film.

https://crippledscholar.wordpress.co...you-criticism/

http://newbostonpost.com/2016/06/03/...nasia-message/

http://www.salon.com/2016/05/24/spar...jectification/

https://storify.com/dominickevans/sa...fter#publicize

https://shaneclifton.com/2016/02/05/...me-before-you/

(KLD)
    It's a point of view that needs to be told, it's a story worth telling. members on this site have ended their lives, we've seen the stories of people that have resorted to months and months of starvation because of full body paralysis. I imagine Switzerland sees a few cases each year. Probably more than we think The Internet doesn't get a hold of everything, especially things like this! This isn't some bogus made up story to attack people with disabilities this is something very real and it deserves the spotlight! I am very much a Burden, we make do for now, utilize what we can but it would be a lie to say I'm not, just because I do things #livebodly as they call it, with injuries like mine the more I do the more help I require! for the love of God I could not imagine what I would've had to put my family through if I didn't have insurance! That happens, some people feel very strong about it, strong enough to end their lives. It's not pretty, but it's a harsh bitter reality that few SCI have to live with thankfully, but it still happens to many and each individual has a choice to make. All of this, only clearly emphasizes the fact that spinal cord injury disabilities are a tragedy and need treatments so that all of us not just the lucky ones can be fully independent!

This nonsense about it promoting disabled people to end their life, is ridiculous. Someone that can't even scratch their nose and is there life because movies told him to the spinal cord injury wasn't the problem at all. In fact if there that easily manipulated, rehab failed them because they would be the prime candidate to be influenced by the spinal cord injury rehabilitation protocol,they clearly would have no understanding of their own identity and principles so the recycle protocol wouldn't turn their stomach with their complete generalization of lack of addressing individuality, therefore make it easier for them to follow and agree with.
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 06-04-2016 at 08:34 PM.

Jason Bourne

This film is another in a long line of thinly veiled hate films about people with disabilities...it is not a happy love story. It is a story about how there is no point in going on with life with a disability, and that the right way to respond to it is to be bitter, angry, and commit suicide so that no one else has to support you or you are no longer a burden on society. The AB attendant who falls in love with this man is another example of do-gooder "saviors" that appear in many such films, and they set my teeth on edge as well. If you like "Whose Life is it Anyway?" and "Million Dollar Baby", you will probably love this film. [snip]

[snip]

(KLD)
    I just heard about this book and movie yesterday as it appeared on my Facebook page. Don't waste your money on the book or movie. Go see some better than all the Star Wars flicks put together.

Bourne. Jason Bourne.

I agree with KLD, "What an insult to Charlotte Bronte and fine literature! ... !"

Remember the day, July 29th, 2016. Bourne is back!

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Quote Originally Posted by Crashbang View Post
    From Chaz Ebert film blog, by Thea Flaum: http://www.rogerebert.com/chazs-blog...ion-to-suicide
    All of these people doing these fucking blog posts about a goddamn movie are so full of shit. Let's hear it one more time that movies only talk about people killing themselves after paralysis, false. Such crap. Like what do they want!? they want cure research to just stop, have the researchers throw up signs toss their papers while they're saying these people don't need to be cured. do they want people to celebrate when their family members break their neck cheer them on will they get bowel care done! They keep talking so much shit, but the statistics for SCI ( far too vague) speak for themselves. One doctors to come in and say congratulations you're now a quadriplegic, to which the appropriate responses oh awesome... Just wow. What an insult to all the people that I've gone to Switzerland what an insult to all the people that have resorted to starvation the only way they could escape dependency,like that woman that left your family house to go to a group home simply to have the space to rot so they wouldn't have to witness. What an insult to all the people now or in the future break their neck and lose their body, they have most of us didn't think that there is no treatment for acute spinal cord injury, how inspirational and courageous of us!
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 06-05-2016 at 02:04 AM.

[QUOTE=JamesMcM;1802017]I'm very sorry for your situation, I'm glad you have someone as good as him tho. As I read what you wrote, I was just thinking about these disabled activists going on about how the movie makes disabilities look tragic, and how truly ridiculous and troubling that statement was.
    /QUOTE]

I absolutely agree! Hurt is all relative. Another para at the same level as these types may hurt bad enough to want to end their lives. I understand that and reason with them. For the life of me, I don't get how someone can make the judgement call on behalf of all people with paralysis that there is nothing tragic about it. Especially when the movie is about someone with a much higher injury and such significant dependency. Such as a quad may call a para whiney because they miss who they were.

I was also touching on the part you felt the movie leaves out. The tough parts like accidents, intimacy barriers etc. I woke up to no movement from the shoulders down. I got to experience crying with nobody to wipe my tears, a sip and puff call bell. My husband even hung my camel bag on an IV pole so I had access to water right at my mouth. I feel like one of the luckiest girls in the world that I got to leave that behind. My husband feels that way too. The challenges we face are a drop in the bucket in comparison to what they could've been. Still, we tire.

As for me and the hubby, we are the high school sweetheart love story when you look at the divorce rate in disabled marriages. To us, we are just that because of our ongoing commitment through so many seasons of change. We still have a fulfilling life as do I being I'm typically quite independent. My husband would be insulted if someone were to say "why stay?" Actually, he'd probably punch them. I also hate pity. I'm not pitiful. When people look in from the outside, they're like, "Awww, how cute", we just chuckle thinking "if you only knew". Don't let my initial post make us sound like we're miserable or ungrateful because we know we're lucky to have what we have. In the grand scheme of it all is the tragedy is it's not what it was or what we imagined.

Hope that brings more clarity.

The film industry is about making money; nothing else matter.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Some of you seem to be assuming that all people protesting 'Me Before You' are "fully or mostly independent". Many/most are, but certainly not all.

One of the links posted earlier was by Dominick Evans: https://storify.com/dominickevans/sa...fter#publicize. Dominick doesn't have a SCI - he has the progressive genetic disorder Spinal Muscular Atrophy - but he is home bound with a high level of physical impairment, as seen in this fundraiser: https://www.gofundme.com/nhwwpdnw

I've seen a photo from the protest in NY. It showed a man in a power wheelchair, using a vent. He was wearing a 'Not Dead Yet' tshirt, and seemed to be holding a 'We're not better off dead' sign (if you look closely, you can see that someone else is holding the sign in front of them - he presumably doesn't have enough arm/hand function to hold the sign himself).

There are others, too.

I keepwatching these YouTube videos, and blog posts I've never been more disgusted. I have never been more ashamed to be a part of this! This movie, was just that a movie it didn't push me any closer or farther to suicide I'm a strong enough person and know myself well enough to figure that out on my own. However watching all of this disabled activists nonsense, has just emphasized all of my reasons for why I despise this so much, why I find these supposed self-proclaimed inspirations so un inspirational,how cringe worthy some of their mentalities are just to cope,how easily they delude themselves of reality! that is evident in what they are saying it has nothing to do with the movie! Seeing all of this just makes me want to honour kill myself so I don't have to be a part of this, even remotely associated by default. This is the most fucking attention spinal cord injury has gotten since Christopher Reeve's AND WHAT HAVE "WE" FUCKING DONE!!! Bitched whined about public perception, worry PARALYSIS FROM THE NECK DOWN might come off as tragic what a joke. Just showed how fragile we really are, no heroes amongst us that's for sure!!!

If I have to watch one more person say I know someone that's 100% dependent but 100% independent in their mind,or make a video where they change their own catheter and say " with positivity, perseverance anything is possible" i'm going to be sick. This is the kind of delusion, this is the kind of contorted reality that the injury does to people. And I don't want this to happen to anyone else! But I feel that because were told it's impossible we give up, then we tell ourselves so I went out and did something we are living boldly; talk about dropping expectations. Or worse we figure it won't help us so why bother, won't be here for 30 years well isn't that a good thing at least you know that your grandchildren/ next gen family won't be affected by it, don't you feel responsible don't you want to help solidify that and make sure that it is here in 30 years. FUCK this is why we are all still in these chairs, this is why people will continue to be in these chairs. let's all pat ourselves on the back, I hope these "disabled activist" feel proud how inspirational, how brave #livebodlymyass
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 06-05-2016 at 07:28 PM.

My friend is in this rebuttal to "Me Before You" and its sibling death is better than disability flicks.

:www.facebook.com:rochestercdr:videos:1015396929072 7550:.webloc
    Last edited by Uncle Peter; 06-05-2016 at 04:57 PM.