Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Me Before You

I saw this last night and really liked it. It is full of fluff and in spite of the heavy subject matter I was pleasantly surprised by the sweetness of it. My husband said he wouldn't watch it with me because "we already live that life, why would I want to watch it?" but even he couldn't help watching it. I appreciate the science stuff they got right but of course the guy's body wasn't right. I loved the character of Lou and who of us didn't need a really fun, upbeat person around us after our injury? I would have made her my best friend! I know for at least a year after my accident I prayed that God would take me so I wouldn't have to be so depressed. I totally get both sides of equation of whether to fight or give up. I would recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    I saw this last night and really liked it. It is full of fluff and in spite of the heavy subject matter I was pleasantly surprised by the sweetness of it. My husband said he wouldn't watch it with me because "we already live that life, why would I want to watch it?" but even he couldn't help watching it. I appreciate the science stuff they got right but of course the guy's body wasn't right. I loved the character of Lou and who of us didn't need a really fun, upbeat person around us after our injury? I would have made her my best friend! I know for at least a year after my accident I prayed that God would take me so I wouldn't have to be so depressed. I totally get both sides of equation of whether to fight or give up. I would recommend it.
    never understood The terminology for the two options "fight" or "give up". I find it far more complicated than that, and at the same time neither one of those describe either option very well

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMcM View Post
    never understood The terminology for the two options "fight" or "give up". I find it far more complicated than that, and at the same time neither one of those describe either option very well
    Ha very true. Either way, "fighting or giving up"- you still wake up paralyzed.

Just watched it on the weekend and enjoyed it as well. Goes to show - Have to take critics /. reviews with a grain of salt.

Watched it not long ago.

It was predictably schmaltzy, kind of like a worse rendition of The Notebook. I love Emilia Clarke (Who doesn't like the Mother of Dragons?) but felt the performance was a little sophomoric and left huge volumes of what should have been a building relationship hiding at the kool-aid table instead of the bar with the rest of the grownups. It was like a teacher child relationship more than anything tangible.

I wouldn't watch it again, but I didn't want my minutes back too badly either.

besides the pantyhose were just the bees knees (couldn't pass that one up!)
    CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

I wish I had joined this site at the time this thread was posted as I saw the movie and couldn't believe it.

I have never seen a movie more condescending and Ill-informed about disability, only the "other sister" (well that in regards to mental disability) can compare to the level of cringe.

What type of message is this movie trying to send to the non disabled population? Better off "dead" than living in a disabled body. Why would such an ableist movie be allowed to be produced? It's crazy.

Also, at times this movie in a strange way on top of everything else reminded me of my fair lady LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectpurple View Post

I have never seen a movie more condescending and Ill-informed about disability, only the "other sister" (well that in regards to mental disability) can compare to the level of cringe.

What type of message is this movie trying to send to the non disabled population? Better off "dead" than living in a disabled body. Why would such an ableist movie be allowed to be produced? It's crazy.
    You must not have seen Million Dollar Baby. It won best picture!

Yet many people choose death over disability...or would prefer it, but are unable to attain it. There may be physical or mental boundaries, but the preference remains. Not that it was a very good or well put together movie, but it didn't simply create an imaginary scenario just to take a stab at disability. Fictional story, but suicide (assisted or not) has happened and will continue to happen when a minority of people choose not to live disabled.

I thought the point of the movie was the love story and that they each learned their own worlds were limited.

Lou was very experienced in connecting with people but she was trapped in a world with no way out that she could identify and no motivation to change it, though she was physically able to move, she was culturally and emotionally paralyzed. He killed her cultural ignorance because he led her out of her boxed in world.

Will had vast experience in testing his physical limits and was very cultured. He was not in touch with his own personal worth after his accident. He saw her crippled growth and led her into personal growth. He killed himself to free himself from what he considered his prison.

Lou learned that very wealthy cultured people can lead empty lives.
    Will learned that though he had lived, he had never truly lived and been fully valued until he loved Lou.

It's sad that the author chose to end the character's life, but it helps to illustrate the death of both of their imprisoned lives. His new life was forced upon him and he was unhappy, he felt apart from life. He pushed a new life onto her with his gift after his death and thrust her into a new world trying to make her part of a larger life.

It's late and it makes sense in my head, the words are just coming out kind of cumbersomely.
    CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story