Thread: Volunteering For fun activities

Volunteering For fun activities

I've started getting out a lot more than I used to, some of it for volunteering. I'm friends with my old recreational therapist over at Barrows Neurological Institute rehab department. A few weeks ago they were having a disability awareness thing over at the Diamondbacks ballgame.. She asked me to represent the Barrows Connection which puts together stuff to do around town like Day on the lake Where they take a bunch of us gimps aand put us on water skis,, jet skis, pontoons, and take us fishing, Driving to Excel Where they squeeze some Us gimps into the passenger seat of racecars over at Bondurant school of high-performance driving and do some hot laps around a road course pulling hard turns at 60 mph topping out 120 mph on straightaways l, some sporting events and just fun stuff in general. Well now I've decided to start looking for some volunteer work.. I make too much from my SSDI to work and still get Arizona State funding for caregivers and stuff. Is anyone else doing this kind of stuff? It's a straight up fun.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I helped build a set for the play A Little Mermaid at a local theater. What I didn't expect is when my family and I showed up to watch the play they gave my daughter the V.I.P. treatment. She got a badge so she could go into the upper balcony, which was off limits to all but the spot light operator and the sound guy. So the three of us watched the play up there, she had an ear to ear smile on her face the whole time.
    I'd like to volunteer at our local V.A. clinic this fall.