Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on this passive leg peddler?

I had a home made motorised one, from an old bike fame, with metal plates and straps on to attach your feet and some calf supports to stop your legs getting out of line as they move. It was good but the motor was noisy so when the motor died I bought a motorised one. It is quieter and easier to attach your feet to and as a result I use it more because I can strap my feet in and sit in front of the TV. On the home made one, it was difficult to hear the TV.

Good to see you guys are keeping your legs moving and finding ways to make things work for you. I'm looking forward to mine arriving, amazon says about two weeks. But sometimes they ship sooner.

Roc I'm interested in how you got to 50 sit to stands. Was it difficult to build up to? How do you get your weaker hand to hold securely to the bar? When standing do you practice balance? In what other areas and ability have you found that practicing the sit to stands have carried over to and made things easier for you to do?

I went through some hardcore rehab. A place that had trainers(degrees in exercise physiology) and not "pt's". Yes I experienced pt's, and there was a big difference. This was 2 years after the initial 1st year of therapy post injury. I did 3 hrs a day, 5 days a week for just over 1 yr. 20 min stretch, then 30min- 1 hr on a Ergys2 or Nustep, then mix of leg press, weight lifting, crawling, trying to walk with walker, ab workouts, and time on Lokomat every other day. Non stop giving all I had for 3 straight hours! I was leg pressing over 200 lbs, so standing is basically a leg press so its easy for me as long as I have something to hold in front. For my right hand I use a powerhook, it is what I was using in my back workout vid and explained about it in that vid. Sometimes I just hold with my left hand only. Yes I will let go and work on balance, Its not easy, especially when my lower back is tight. Not sure what it actually makes easier but I do it everyday, good for circulation, digestion, and overall body strength.. core, back, legs.

**I was in excellent shape and always worked out pre injury which allowed me to push hard, know how to, and enjoy the workout in rehab post. I saw alot of people in rehab who never exercised and now to do it when it is extremely difficult after injury was even harder. Alot also has to do with extent of injury, again we are all different in out post inj. abilities so we need to try all sorts of things and put our own twist on things to make it work.
    Last edited by roc21; 09-05-2016 at 12:50 PM.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

That sounds like it was a good training program roc. I had some therapy years go but never anything intense like that. I think when I got injured much was never expected from sci and the therapists and the dr's never considered intensive training as an option. But thankfully I have made some gains with my limited knowledge of training. Trying and not giving up will produce results. Do you still try to use a walker? I still know I can progress much farther than I have already. Do you have any tricks to stretching the shoulders out yourself? I've started taking a pulley with a weight on it and holding the handle in my hand and reclining my chair and letting the weight pull my arm / shoulder back. My weak hand eventually slips loose though. My peddlar is supposed to be here tomorrow!

tried it tonight and it's awesome, nice to have your legs moved for 15 or 30 minutes or more if you like after they've been sitting in one position all day. I am glad I got it!

Quote Originally Posted by dontevergiveup View Post
    tried it tonight and it's awesome, nice to have your legs moved for 15 or 30 minutes or more if you like after they've been sitting in one position all day. I am glad I got it!
    Mine came Saturday. I like the motion too. What do you do to keep your feet on the pedals? I could not get my shoes into those straps, so went with the bolt on shoe thing.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I took my shoes off, socks on and slipped my feet in the straps as snug as possible and they did not come out

I took my shoes off, socks on and slipped my feet in the straps as snug as possible and they did not come out
    Watch out you don't get a blister.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

So far no problems. Hey, does your peddler have a low high pitched noise when it's peddling? At first I just thought it was normal, but emailed the company this morning thinking it sure would be nice without a constant pitch tone.

So far no problems. Hey, does your peddler have a low high pitched noise when it's peddling? At first I just thought it was normal, but emailed the company this morning thinking it sure would be nice without a constant pitch tone.
    Good, I assume you have no sensation, so rubbing irritation is possible is the only reason I mentioned it. I noticed I had to have my shoes laced tight since this is quite different than when we used to push down on pedals to ride bikes.
    As for noise, I was surprised at how quiet it runs, so no, there is no high pitch noise. What did bother me at first is that it runs backwards from what is customary for riding a bike. And while I'm on complaining, the sprokets are too short. I tried to swap them out with longer ones, but couldn't get the ones off a junk bike to do so. And lastly the cord on the wired remote is way too short.