Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on this passive leg peddler?

Thoughts on this passive leg peddler?

I came across the motomed and thought it looked great to help with range of motion, then I saw the price and stopped dreaming. So I looked for a smaller version and found this video https://youtu.be/vldOCFZbeyk Does this kind of leg movement help with tight hamstrings and hips? It seems like this movement of the legs should be beneficial to someone sitting all day right? My only concern would be if my feet stayed secure but the video showed that they should. Maybe velcro straps could be added. And the price is right! Between $80 and $100 Appreciate thoughts and recommendations on something like this to help with range of motion, thank you. And this could even help with the shoulders right?

Thanks for finding this. I built one from an old bike frame, but with no motor and push on my knees with my hands to make it go round and round. Momentum makes it go pretty good. This motorized one is better, so I just now ordered it. On mine I bolted old shoes to the pedals so my feet won't fall off. I hope to transfer those to this gadget.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I had one, and they do work pretty good...but...I have some spasticity and every once in a while, my legs will lock. When that happens, the machine spins off into the distance. I switched to one without a motor.

I ordered one too, hope it is helpful for us! Great to see others still fighting

can you give me instructions on how to secure the shoes to it?

I have one very similar. Have had it for probably 8-9 years an still perfect.. I use most nights before I go to bed, anywhere from 15 minutes - 1 hr. You can leave motor off and still pedal if your capable. yes, put it om a table and you could do srms/shoulders. Mine came with handles to switch out from pedals.
    - Rolling Thru Life -

Roc do you find it helps with your range of motion?

Quote Originally Posted by dontevergiveup View Post
    The secret is to attach shoes with "garage door hinge bolts". Note that they are perfectly flat on top. It still requires a little digging out of shoe material inside the sole.
    http://www.natman.com/detail/v7652-f...-nuts-n280-859
    I needed to put a plate on the backside to act as a washer.

edit changed link
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

You can try something like this, which are plastic plates with Velcro straps just screwed (or bolted) into the pedals.

When we looked at getting this, several people said that they weren't powerful enough for them. As I was purchasing for my son, the power wasn't an issue, and still isn't. But there is another thread on here somewhere that discusses them,
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Roc do you find it helps with your range of motion?
    Range of motion?..I can't say it does, but that is just me. For someone who is really tight, I would think over time it could help loosen somewhat. I have good range, I have a stretching routine that my wife does to me every morning before getting out of bed(takes 10min), also do 50 sit to stands every day, plus I regularly get a 1 hr deep tissue massage. For me, I like doing the "bike" before bed just to get that good blood flow and keep the muscles loose, relaxed and moving. I actually just got off from doing 30 min. I know for some people who have alot of spasms or "tone" that it helps to ease it. We are all soo different as to how our bodies react to certain things. Trial & error to see what does what is how it goes.
    - Rolling Thru Life -