Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Antibiotic-resistant UTI

Antibiotic-resistant UTI

I have been having some reoccuring UTIs. It seems like just as soon as I get on an antibiotic I get another UTI while being treated. The one they are treating now is only sensitive to Rocephin and I feel like I just got another one. I don't understand how I can get a UTI while on antibiotics. I am worried about getting fully resistant. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

This can happen if you have urinary stones, as the bacteria can hide out in the stone material. Have you been screened recently for urinary stones?

(KLD)

After you rule stones in/out, get to an infectious disease doctor. I find that infectious disease doctors just handle frequent, recurring, stubborn urinary tract infections with much more skill than urologists or primary care physicians.

All the best,
    GJ

Ruling out the stones is first priority. But also you sound like you are in a similar position as me and I don't know how you're managing your bladder but with chronic infections it's not likely to get much better no matter what you do. Basically at this point all we can do is tolerate the infection, if you continue to take antibiotics at the first sign of an infection when your spasms get worse and a quite a bit of pain then you become resistant and if it gets bad enough it can kill you. So what all the urologist recommended is only treating the infection when it's getting life-threatening, when you start to hit a fever. But other than that you'll just have to tolerate it, I know it's hell.

Good quality sources of vitamin C throughout the day seemed to help me keep it from getting out of hand, along with excessive amounts of water, and a good diet

I have an indwelling catheter a suprapubic. I'm only sending a sample when I am getting chills and my spasticity goes up. I have never ran a fever and I'm wondering if I physically can. It seems like if I go a couple of hours without drinking a whole lot I start getting chills, headaches, twitches like I'm getting now. Should I just ignore it?
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

I am C6/7 complete, 34 years post injury. In my entire spinal cord injury history, I have had my fair share of urinary tract infections (before using Vetericyn/HydroCleanse/Microcyn variations), and never once had a fever. When I have a urinary tract infection, I have a lot of autonomia, which include chills, sweats, lots of discomfort. You need to get a urine specimen to a lab to get a urinalysis (UA) and culture & sensitivity (C&S) to find out which bacteria is causing the infection and which antibiotic is most effective. Do not ignore symptoms that are your markers for urinary tract infections, just because you don't/aren't exhibiting symptoms that the medical community says you should be experiencing.

All the best,
    GJ

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I find that infectious disease doctors just handle frequent, recurring, stubborn urinary tract infections with much more skill than urologists or primary care physicians.
    GJ
    My experience agrees. I had longstanding chronic UTIs that were not cured until I saw an infectious disease doctor (even though I have a superb urologist).
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 09-04-2016 at 01:10 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    This can happen if you have urinary stones, as the bacteria can hide out in the stone material. Have you been screened recently for urinary stones?

(KLD)
    20 years, foley user. It is ALL in the quality of care. Drs can MEAN well and still not know shiRt from apple butter. Tossing anti-biotics at you around the clock isn't a solution, it's deadly. Find someone to check you for/REMOVE the stones, then use proper clean technique each time you change your cath, Let gjnl tell you about the microcyn solution for flush/prevention, get on a HEALTHY diet, avoid sugar(in foods also), drink water often to keep your pee clear or only slight color to it, look into douette caths or if not those, then silver coated caths.Silver coated prevent many infections, but douette design looks to prevent the irritation/damage the tip of the cath causes. I'm going to start using them asap. About to go get a 1,5cm stone and a bunch of smaller ones Wednesday. I had a multi year stretch infection/colonization free. Lots of life troubles prevented me from being able to take the right approach and been having problems for last 3 years but never taken antibiotics since last surgery. Many years before that round. Diet and clean technique are very important. UTIs have been discussed EXTENSIVELY here for ever. There is no need to live with that fear every day once you start doing things right, after getting rid of the stones in your bladder.
    Fluoroquinlones destroy connective tissues in your shoulders, among other places, antibiotics in general should not be taken regularly, but the info above negates the need for that. Look up, once you get clear, you CAN remain that way! Hang in there and get yourself knowledgeable.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 09-03-2016 at 11:58 PM.

Blog Entries
    quadmarie:
    Don't quit drinking a whole lot of water There is a new style catheter out(first thread was 2012 started by Dr Wise) did not see it myself until recently. Called a duette, has two balloons, surrounding the opening that seems to be the root cause of otherwise clean technique catheter use. I'll link the video here, watch it. In the past, I have used silver coated caths(about 16 bucks each, same as duette) when I had trying times. Had to change every two weeks to keep effective. I am going to switch to duette after having my present stones removed. Also in the past, I knew I had stones by the solid build up on the cath. Once that starts, you have stones. When you deflate the balloon, this encrustation falls off, most of it staying in your bladder and the pieces become increasingly larger. Waaay back 20 years ago, when I first started out, I took my cath out every day and cleaned the crust off/out of, by rolling /crushing it in my fingers. After two years, I FINALLY got to a place where the uro took them out. He said about 20 pencil eraser sized and a bunch of smaller ones. That's how I arrived at my conclusion. If you haven't been checked for stones in a year, get checked!

duette thread http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?229736-New-catheter

video watch this about how cath damages your bladder leading to infection/ reason for redesign = duette
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dB2RnUI64g
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 09-04-2016 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quadmarie View Post
    I have an indwelling catheter a suprapubic. I'm only sending a sample when I am getting chills and my spasticity goes up. I have never ran a fever and I'm wondering if I physically can. It seems like if I go a couple of hours without drinking a whole lot I start getting chills, headaches, twitches like I'm getting now. Should I just ignore it?
    Could these symptoms be from bladder spasms? Are you taking an anticholinergic like oxybutynin?

All the best,
    GJ