Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NYC accessible cab and driver

RollPositive; You did not read what I actually said, or rather, asked. Since these folks are not licensed in the usual way, how does a municipality obligate them to follow the laws/rules that medallioned and licensed cabbies MUST follow? You are quite right I have not visited NYC or any large city for many years. I feel like prey there, with few self protective alternatives. I go where I can take my own vehicle, where I have some idea of how to correct my problems, if or when they occur, myself.

I actually refused a quite lucrative position in NYC, because of the things I knew that I might have to compromise my principals for.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post

RollPositive; You did not read what I actually said, or rather, asked. Since these folks are not licensed in the usual way, how does a municipality obligate them to follow the laws/rules that medallioned and licensed cabbies MUST follow? You are quite right I have not visited NYC or any large city for many years. I feel like prey there, with few self protective alternatives. I go where I can take my own vehicle, where I have some idea of how to correct my problems, if or when they occur, myself.

I actually refused a quite lucrative position in NYC, because of the things I knew that I might have to compromise my principals for.
    Many of us feel comfortable and safe living in our own safety zone...mainly being in our own cars and vans so it can really limit travel.

But there is a whole world out there to see and enjoy.

Not everything in our life needs to be regulated or licensed for us to try and enjoy.

We travel mostly and it's amazing how giving the opportunity people really rise to the occasion when we need help or resources.

Sounds like your making assumptions vs fact. It's as simple as calling those cab company's and asking if they have wheelchair access and most know each other and can route you or others to a company that has WCJ access.

Ride share is still new but DOT is working to get more and more cities wheelchair share services.

Can you explain how you would compromise principles?

i have many friends in New York City that are very happy in the city and it's options in getting around.

Cabs, ride shares, dial a ride, subways, buses, trains and Amtrak.

Glass half full or empty?

Roll Positive, back in the 1970's when I was a young Construction Superintendent, I was asked to run a job in NYC the very day I presented myself on the job A guy wanted a payoff so the job would run smootly. I resigned my position on the spot, I will say no more.

I was originally a Boston guy. I liked to walk the park and along Storrow Drive. That was back in the day, and I was very comfortable there. Today who knows? I have obviously been to NYC. I am fiercely independent and I do not want to to have to ask for anything from anyone. Yup I have my vehicle which is stocked with the things I "think" I might need. Wilmington NC is big enough for me.