Thread: Plastic coated handrims

Plastic coated handrims

I would like to hear experiences and opinions on the plastic coated handrims Tilite offers (no projections). I currently have the standard silver anodized and they are getting horribly scratched up when my chair slides across the ground getting it in and out of my car. My thinking was the plastic coating could help prevent nicks plus give me a little more grip in snowy Wisconsin winters, but I could be thinking wrong. Also does it burn your hands going down ramps or stopping? I have also looked into the natural fit and got to demo those but I must have a really tiny hand the grip felt way too wide for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mwheelz2 View Post
    I would like to hear experiences and opinions on the plastic coated handrims Tilite offers (no projections). I currently have the standard silver anodized and they are getting horribly scratched up when my chair slides across the ground getting it in and out of my car. My thinking was the plastic coating could help prevent nicks plus give me a little more grip in snowy Wisconsin winters, but I could be thinking wrong. Also does it burn your hands going down ramps or stopping? I have also looked into the natural fit and got to demo those but I must have a really tiny hand the grip felt way too wide for me.
    You should try the natural fit LT. *LT* is the same shape, but fit human hands. They will get scratched, if that is your main concern. The coated ones are better for that, but can be tricky slowing down on step slopes.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I use to live in Wi and found coated hand rims slipperier when cold and wet. They also get chunks taken out of them, which is a real pain. I scraped all the rubber off after a while because it bugged me. There are a couple new hand rims around that you might look at. I found leather mittens to be the best for winter pushing.

I have lived in very hot climate , Phx Az area, and currently in very cold winter climate, Woodland Park, Co. I prefer the rubber like coating on rims for both. They do heat up on downhill grades but gloves prevent that, same for icy, snow conditions. DME vendors seem to be pushing the Natural Fit hand rims but I have a pair, and hate them. Too heavy, expensive (of course) hard to push and jammed my thumbs. That hurts bad! Beware of DME or other providers pushing certain brands of equipment. Get what works for you, not them or companies they get perks from.

If you're referring to the plasti-dip stuff.. I wouldn't waste my money of this.. But I'm undecided about the flexshot/flezseal product.. Though the bed liner products could be a bit abrasive.. the herculiner bed liner has a rubberized product within the coating.. Your in unchartered territory and could be worth exploring because others might be interested in doing the same thing.

I have not tried or seen those in real but they look interesting:

http://www.motioncomposites.com/moti...t-Air-Grip.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)