Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: checking for eligibility today

Blog Entries
    Response to KLD...
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/30/us...fits.html?_r=0
    There is a reason so many vets commit suicide every day. Most recent revelations said over 125,000 DIED while waiting on 'appointments' that were never made. Paperwork gets thrown in a trashcan<--news story....again, just like everything important, main stream propaganda...errr, MEDIA doesn't report these things. Do your own research. Turn off the tv, start searching REAL news. Government shills and those who play the game will lie to your face. There are SOME that are unknowing because they are naive enough to trust the government. I call those the willfully ignorant. The signs are all over, in your face everyday. BUT, just as long as Joe Schmoe can get up, go to his job, come home and eat 'food-like' substances that make him fat, sick and dependent on the health care system to keep him barely alive on a bowlful of pills a day, he's happy.
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...va-report?lite
    People don't care. As long as they have the 'I support the troops' sticker on the trunk, they think they have done their part. Once again, if you REALLY supported 'the troops', you would get them back on OUR shores and stop overthrowing countries and trying to rule the world. Which was predicted by the way, God's word never fails. Time is almost up though. This evil isn't going to continue for too many more years.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 09-01-2016 at 11:34 PM.

I am just a messenger...I didn't create the mess that is the VBA (Veterans Benefits Administration). I work for the VHA (Veterans Health Administration) which is a completely different division.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I am just a messenger...I didn't create the mess that is the VBA (Veterans Benefits Administration). I work for the VHA (Veterans Health Administration) which is a completely different division.

(KLD)
    I know KLD, I am not saying you caused any of this. I said you deserve more for being one of the few who try to help others, and I sincerely mean it.
    Read this story and try to keep a dry eye. THIS is the sad state of our world today, in a nutshell. and there are hundreds of thousands of them...
    http://cdn.csgazette.biz/soldiers/day1.html

CapnGimp, sounds like you have post concussion syndrome which may have caused the behavioral problems that led to OTH discharge. Too bad the bureaucracy may not take this into account. Agree, you should get back with PVA and work with service officer to seek eligibility.

Sounds like your ship was firing the artillery which led to the retaliatory bombing of the marine barracks. Too bad we didn't have all the congressional investigations (Benghazi) back then to find out why we were meddling there.

One good thing about VA is that it is a 2 tiered system. If you are a combat related injury your care will be unsurpassed. I have a friend paralyzed by a sniper in Vietnam. He gets new top of the line chairs every one or 2 years, new vans with lifts frequently. When his power chair breaks down a tech drives out to fix it. His urinary and skin care tx are very timely and state of the art. This is as it should be. As for those ignored on waiting lists who are not service related - a lot of the fault for this lies with Congress who won't appropriate adequate funds for the care necessary for those who served willingly.

Don't give up Gimp, I have another buddy injured in a vehicle accident on base. He was discharged without VA benefits but later a service officer helped him secure service related status and for decades he has received not just 100% service related benefits but also the absolute best of medical care.

Order DD214 online

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    I was in the navy from 16Dec1980 to 16may1984. Discharged from USS Nimitz CVN-68 with 2yrs15days sea duty, WITHOUT paying me for 42.5 days accrued leave, I still have my discharge Leave and Earnings Statement. Long story about 2 separate but close brain injuries that led to anger control issues that I have had to deal with all my life(not direct service related) but caused problems during my time aboard ship and which led to me requesting 'project upgrade', as it was called at that time, with an other than honorable discharge.
    I was an e4 at one time and tested for e5 but didn't make it due to TOS was too short to compete with the others, aced the exam though.Got busted to e3 for falsifying log books in Nuke school,sent to the Nimitz,we did 2 work-up cruises before deploying to the Med in late 82 for the Lebanon-Israeli Crisis 82-83, we dropped bombs on Lebanon, which was an undeclared action at the time(also unjustified), during which I tested for e4 aced it but evals were too low and just missed it.Shortly thereafter, got busted again. Made it to Jan 84 as an e3 and trouble started and was an e1 at discharge. All of these were fighting related except the last one. ANYway, I haven't had anything to do with the government up until today, when I spent about 45 minutes on the phone answering questions to find out if I am eligible for VA care.
    At first, he said they didn't show any record of service, I stated my entrance date, both delayed entry and active duty, discharge date and duty station from which I was discharged. Few seconds pause and a confirmation, stated 'ok, looks like you qualify...'. 20 minutes of questions and then he says oh, looks like you were discharged with an other than honorable... Yeah, everybody knows that, lol. Bunch more questions, yada, yada, then "I need a DD214"...which is WHY I called because it takes months to get a copy and mine was taken, amongst other valuables, by my ex when I shooed her away. I had thought that was what he had before him on-screen, guess not. Now back to square one, getting a copy of my DD214 which can take many moons. The whole point of this exercise was to get an eval for chair from a more qualified source. I have medicare-medicaid(another qualifier for non-service connected VA care) to pay for it. Every where I go, you get the same questions, are you a vet? Yes I am. I served aboard ship in an undeclared war/action for over 7 months. Did my time voluntarily, WAS going to serve twenty but aholes in my division crapping on everyone made it unbearable. Stories I won't go into here. Suffice it to say our ship had one of the highest rates of project upgrade OTH discharges at that time. I watched 10 percent of my division go before I REQUESTED it. Anyway, we will see what becomes of it.
    And for those who DON'T know, that has been a very popular way of getting rid of vets w/o having to pay benefits/disability for the past 25 years. Don't diagnose their ptsd/related problems and save money. Until they recently passed a law that will give a second chance to most of those.
    I say put the chickenhawks and their families in boots and let them serve, better yet, mind our OWN business like the founding fathers of this nation intended, and bring EVERYONE back to these shores and stop CAUSING all the world's problems..... LOOK! There went a unicorn! I stand relieved.
    CapnGimp........
    You can order your DD214 online.........
    http://www.dd214.us/

....Also, if you go to Google and just do a search for "order DD214 online" it will come up with a multitude of various websites that are set up to allow you to order your DD214 right online.......
    Best to you buddy.....
    I hope you are able to things ironed out.....

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info TM, Got two letters from them Thursday, gonna get on it Monday.

If your OTH was "for the good of the service" you should be able to get this converted during a fairly short appeal. Basically it is an administrative discharge given to those that are not criminals or mentally unstable but someone deems you are not a good fit and yes, some are requested by the service member.

Definitely go through a PVA service officer because they understand this stuff while a lot of the VA administration types only know their little area of the regs. Good luck Cap!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Capt Gimp, what is the status of your OTH appeal and service connection for head injuries? Are you in the VA health care system? Looking forward to hearing from you.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now