Thread: Accessible changing table and crib pics...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Accessible changing table and crib pics...

First of all, after two rounds of IVF over the years God blessed us with the opportunity to adopt a baby girl last November. We have had her since the day she was born. As those of you with kids know, it is difficult to adapt to taking care of a baby from a wheelchair. I have a T6 complete SCI, so no trunk control. We weren't able to find a changing table that I could pull underneath, so thankfully I have a lot of building/fabrication experience and was able to build my own:

Next was the crib. I had done a lot of research on how other people have handled this, as I can't reach down into the crib to pick her up. So I had a friend with a table saw cut the front section in half for me. I then put hinges on one side so that I could swing open the front like a door. I also found a latch that works by pulling the pin across to lock it by using a magnet on one side. This allowed me the ability to open and close it with one hand. It also has a key so that it cannot be opened accidentally:

Last was the diaper genie. Those that have one of these know they are opened by a foot pedal. So I screwed an eye bolt into it and ran a wooden dowel down to the pedal that I drilled a hole into for the rod to connect. I also left a enough of the dowel sticking up above the can so that I can push it down with the hand I'm holding the diaper with and have enough room to throw it away, since I'm holding on to the baby with the other hand to keep her secure. I don't use a nut on the bottom because I have to remove the dowel to empty the can:

Those are a few things I have done that helped a lot. Hopefully it may give others some ideas, so I wanted to share.

Congratulations, both on your child and on your creative problem solving. Very nicely done!

Great adaptations, glad it's you though. I do not miss the sleepless nights.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by endo_aftermath View Post
    Congratulations, both on your child and on your creative problem solving. Very nicely done!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Great adaptations, glad it's you though. I do not miss the sleepless nights.
    Well, we've been very fortunate. She has been sleeping 8-10 hours a night since she was 6 weeks old. I think God cut us some slack after everything we've been through since my SCI

Great ideas! I love the changing table! Congrats on your new bundle of joy!

nicely done, i built a table similar to your's but without the border for the changing pad. I should've made the boarder as now my 11.5 month old twins love to wrestle while we are changing their diapers. I didn't do any modifications for our cribs, I just learned out to lift the kids up with my hand/arms, similar to a football hold when they were tiny and now they reach out to me and I can easily grab them from underneath their arms. I'm a T7/T8.
    http://www.adaptivesportsforums.com/

I love sports! Wheelchair Basketball, Sled Hockey, Mono-Skiing, and Handcycling.