Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: miami project needs volunteers

miami project needs volunteers

I was there yesterday and they have a lot of studies going on, tms, electrol brain stimulation, schwann cell, the list goes on.

If you live in south florida it may be a good thing for you, they have a lokomat that's state of the art and will be training people with soon.

Also they will pay mileage and some money for each session, so you could get some treatments and paid for it too, I only take the mileage cause I'm 200 miles away and only intermittently.

A lot of people complain of lack of progress in the sci research, here's your chance to be part of the cure.
    Last edited by trekker6; 08-31-2016 at 11:12 AM. Reason: spelling
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

You can go here to see what the current studies are: http://www.themiamiproject.org/resea...rrent-studies/

Quote Originally Posted by khmorgan View Post
    You can go here to see what the current studies are: http://www.themiamiproject.org/resea...rrent-studies/
    There's a lot more going on there that I don't see on the list, for instance I am going next week, they are going to hook me up with electrodes and train me on the lokomat, then either use tms of electrical brain stimulation the put me back on the lokomat to look for changes.

If anyone is interested, just email or call them they'll put you on a list and if something comes up that fits you, they'll ask if you are interested in the testing.

they have been looking for schwann cell recipients but are having are hard time finding recruits, from what I understand, you have to have a specific type of to qualify.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    There's a lot more going on there that I don't see on the list, for instance I am going next week, they are going to hook me up with electrodes and train me on the lokomat, then either use tms of electrical brain stimulation the put me back on the lokomat to look for changes.

If anyone is interested, just email or call them they'll put you on a list and if something comes up that fits you, they'll ask if you are interested in the testing.

they have been looking for schwann cell recipients but are having are hard time finding recruits, from what I understand, you have to have a specific type of to qualify.
    Actually, if you follow that link and read the second paragraph, they tell you how to register for possible inclusion in any research projects for which you fit their criteria.

What it appears that they are doing is building a database of potential research volunteers. Certainly, if you prefer to call, and have them give you the survey, that is one way to do it.
    Last edited by khmorgan; 08-31-2016 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Revise one line

Yeah, I was on the list for a year before they called me, since then I've gone quite a bit, but it seems like they don't have enough volunteers for certain projects.

It is silly and frustrating they still haven't filled these schwann spots. I went down to qualify and had an MRI and my injury site was too large and at least for thoracic injuries they knew the size set was going to be very hard to find. Thoracic injuries are often traumatic accidents with significant impact. I think they would say the FDA decided that but at this point you think they would revisit it. Funny thing is they had no size limitations for acute but for chronic. Again I was there a year ago. At this rate it will take 25 years to get through the phases.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyerly View Post
    It is silly and frustrating they still haven't filled these schwann spots. I went down to qualify and had an MRI and my injury site was too large and at least for thoracic injuries they knew the size set was going to be very hard to find. Thoracic injuries are often traumatic accidents with significant impact. I think they would say the FDA decided that but at this point you think they would revisit it. Funny thing is they had no size limitations for acute but for chronic. Again I was there a year ago. At this rate it will take 25 years to get through the phases.
    I saw the girl who they selected fr the first one, there were three spots available, their criteria for the injury site is very limiting, I wish you could have gotten in.

Yea me too. It's crazy to me that they haven't altered the criteria. Especially with the cells from your own body minimizing the risk.

I don't know their reasoning, but I assumed that they wanted certain types of injuries so they wouldn't cause more damage, once they could say that the schwan cells were effective, they would try a maybe less invasive method of delivery.
    Are you a complete and what level are you?

I was told it was to limit the amount of cells that would be taken and injected in the sight. I am now ASIA C T11 but was 2 years after injury before I converted from A to C. Been C for about 5 years