Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pros/Cons of Ergonomic Seating?

Pros/Cons of Ergonomic Seating?

Time to order a new chair. Problems with coccyx/tailbone area. Looking for a new back as well.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

A lot depends upon the seating system you are talking about. For some, the major downside is the weight of the system, plus bulk for some. On the pro side, the benefits may include decreased risk for shoulder injury and pain, improved efficiency of pushing the chair (less fatigue), and sometimes decreased risks for skin breakdown.

What system are you looking at?

(KLD)

You're going with an extra push power add on, right? If there is any possibility of trying that out with a demo cushion and back try it! And if you drive a car do look at the weight of all those parts. After giving it well more than a year's trial the special cut down cushion coupled with a back that has stabilizing sides to help reduce or stabilize scoliosis I would not do my manual chair again. Back's like that do not allow wiggle room and without tilt pressure reliefs are difficult. After a full 10 days using the manual I had my first ever very purple unopen sores. If you don't feel the need for sides skip them. This is one thing I would not add looking at the future.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

That's a loaded question.

In short, ergo seating is one variable that affects the position of your pelvis (anterior/posterior tilt). Its effectiveness depends on what your needs are. What are the problems you're referring to?

Blog Entries
    Assuming you mean adding a flat section at the rear of the seat: It was recommended to me as a way to use a slightly higher back rest while maintaining proper lumbar lordosis. I went with a shorter back rest, and accomplished the same thing, instead. It can also help correct a "sacral sitting" habit. It's not typically advised unless it's indicated to address some specific postural deficiency.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

(Note: I can stand, and have full sensation.) I was curious about ergo, too, so I fabricated a wooden wedge ergo seat from some scrap plywood and lumber (heavy!) to rest on top of my solid seat pan beneath my cushion. I tried several different lengths before finding a good length for me. I used it for several months, then removed it to see whether or not I liked it or not. Without it my back began aching within a couple hours. I put it back, the aching subsided, and I'm sold on ergo seating.

I subsequently also acquired a rigid backrest. For me the combination of a solid seat pan, an ergo seat, and a rigid backrest are perfect; my chair is super nimble now, and my pushing feels very efficient and comfortable. (Ultimately I bent my solid seat pan and installed two small wedges between the frame and rear edges of the solid seat pan to shed weight.)

But I'm also convinced through my own trial and error experiences that our needs are all exceptionally unique. I have tried things that others loved that just didn't work for me.

If you can, find a way to try an ergo seat to see what it does for you.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

I do notice that I slowly slide down the chair after all of this time being in bed .. I do have a pelvic tilt .. these salespeople really try to make the sale! I sat and ordered and then over the weekend, emailed them and said hold it .. I want to try everything. Eff 'em if that's a pain in the arse. I gotta deal with it all 24/7/365. I had such a good experience last time. I said my chair's tippy towards the front and the salesperson just said, "Well I can't promise this new one won't be since we're taking measurements from it." Umm doh?

First I was told that Smart Drive wasn't available with a titanium chair ... so I went with the Aero Z. Then I'm told it will be .. the Tilite ZR has the ergo seating option. It will be my first TiLite if I get it.

On second thought, maybe I should go someplace else. One of the firefighters I used to work with gave me the name of his friend .. maybe I'll get a second opinion.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I see no reason you could not use SmartDrive w a titanium chair unless camber bar diameter is the issue. Do not get same measurememnts if you are doing front endos out of chair. My most recent chair has a 20" deep seat thereby increasing wheel base length, most stable chair I have ever had. I cannot tolerate a chair without tapered seat, front end. I am not sure tapered seats are available w ergonomic seating.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I do notice that I slowly slide down the chair after all of this time being in bed .. I do have a pelvic tilt .. these salespeople really try to make the sale! I sat and ordered and then over the weekend, emailed them and said hold it .. I want to try everything. Eff 'em if that's a pain in the arse. I gotta deal with it all 24/7/365. I had such a good experience last time. I said my chair's tippy towards the front and the salesperson just said, "Well I can't promise this new one won't be since we're taking measurements from it." Umm doh?

First I was told that Smart Drive wasn't available with a titanium chair ... so I went with the Aero Z. Then I'm told it will be .. the Tilite ZR has the ergo seating option. It will be my first TiLite if I get it.

On second thought, maybe I should go someplace else. One of the firefighters I used to work with gave me the name of his friend .. maybe I'll get a second opinion.
    They sound incompetent. I'd find another dealer.

FYI, dealers often make between 30-40% of MSRP on a sale. It's okay to make them work for it.