Thread: The first year after 23 years

The first year after 23 years

I'm 23 years post injury and never have had any pain whatsoever not even with the rods in my back. This year has been a first for me though, I've had more aches and pains than ever before and I knew the time would come that after getting thrown out of a vehicle at 65mph, my body would start to remind me that the ground is not soft and forgiving at that speed. I do not take any pain meds other than Advil or when that doesn't help the occasional Goody's back and body pain powder. I guess that I'm reaching the age (44) and time of my life where I notice little pains more than I use to.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

NL, my wife has had a physical injury that required 8 weeks of physical therapy. During this time, her therapist said, "If your are something over 25 years old and wake up one morning without pain, you are probably dead." With or without a spinal cord injury, general pain seems to be part of the deal with aging. I don't mean to diminish the pain that comes with spinal cord injury, but my point is, as we age, we all experience more pain.

All the best,
    GJ

Blog Entries
    Can the Goodys and Advil. Get ginger root and peel it, cut thin slices and make a tea from it by boiling it on a low boil for about 10 minutes. I use about two, thumb-sized pieces per gallon of water. I drink it around the clock, have for over two years now. It has many beneficial uses for the body but it is absolutely the best anti-inflammatory out there. 10x better than advil or similar pills, literally, been proven in studies. I have a low cost, electric rice cooker I bought from wal-mart that I have on top of my dryer that I use. I cook it on white rice setting and leave it on the warmer around the clock as I like hot drink. I turn it off occasionally in the summer. I tell everyone about it from arthritis sufferers on down. All who DO try it, do as I do and stick with it. Try it for a few days and then judge the results for yourself, helps the digestive system, great for, dizziness, vertigo, motion sickness, menstrual pains(learned about it from my grandmother getting me to go in the store when I was little to get it for her) and menopause. Used to be in every store around vegetables, fruits and root(potatoes, garlic, etc). Some wal=marts, food city's carry it just look around. About 4 bucks per pound. Get it with a 'tight skin' look, not the wrinkled up, about to rot look. Fresh will keep in fridge for weeks. I go through about 10-12 bucks worth a month, but I drink a minimum of a gallon in 24 hrs.
    That ginger is smaller over all than what you normally find in stores, that's the rice cooker and my batch that I just made about 9 pm, went for another round as I wrote this, stacked wood this evening on top of everything else, do not want to be sore in the mAWnin'...
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 08-28-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: ask the NSA

Blog Entries
    the piece in my hand will make 2-3 gallons. I add cinnamon and or honey at times, even use it to cook my rice in. Ginger is a very good spice to grate up for most anything. If I get particularly sore/pained, I just chew on a bubble-gum sized piece til it's gone.

Research has shown the the 3 most common problems noted by people with SCI as they age is shoulder and joint pain (musculoskeletal pain), increasing neuropathic pain, and fatigue. Each of these will vary from person to person, and strategies for management of the type types of pain vary quite a bit. Talk to your primary care provider about what might be available for you that has the least side effects or interactions with other meds you may be taking.

(KLD)

I love ginger but have never kept it in the fridge .. have I been doing it wrong???
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Most of the pain that I've been having is in my shoulders, not the joint area but the muscle area between my neck and shoulder joint. It's more like a pinched nerve and the week after Xmas my thumb and the tip of my pointer finger went numb on my right hand. It got better for awhile then eventually my shoulder started hurting a litter more, then about 80% of my hand went numb. I could tell the difference between hot and cold but it was like my hand had that weird trying to wake up feeling. Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago and my left shoulder started hurting like my right shoulder use to, so I went to a chiropractor for the first time in my life and after several adjustments over the past few weeks I haven't had anymore shoulder pain and my right hand is about 95% back to normal.
    T4,5,6 Incomplete

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I love ginger but have never kept it in the fridge .. have I been doing it wrong???
    Hell I keep everything from bread to bananas,to even cereal in the fridge.
    T4,5,6 Incomplete

From Fine Cooking-- http://www.finecooking.com/articles/...ger.aspx?pg=0:

For our experiment, we stored ginger in 11 different ways for an eight-week period.

• Six jars of freshly peeled ginger went into the fridge submerged in various spirits and acidic liquids: vodka, dry sherry, sake, rice wine, rice vinegar, and fresh lime juice.
    • Four unpeeled chunks went into the vegetable crisper: one in a plain paper bag; one wrapped in plastic wrap and then placed in a paper bag; one in a zip-top bag; and one wrapped in dry paper towels and then put in a zip-top bag.
    • Following a reader's tip, we "planted" one chunk of fresh unpeeled ginger in a pot of soil.

The results: zip-top bag and vodka lead the pack.
    The ginger stored in lime juice failed after just a few weeks when the liquid became cloudy and appeared rancid. All the peeled submerged ginger retained a definite ginger flavor (the sherry ginger came in last) and were still going strong at eight weeks, but the clear winner was the ginger stored in vodka, which produced firm, crisp ginger that still had a strong flavor.
    The ginger stored in the vegetable crisper produced very diverse results. In this category, the runaway winner was the unpeeled ginger stored in a ziptop bag without any wrapping?the ginger stayed fresh, firm, and wrinkle-free for the entire eight weeks. The plain paper bag gave us wrinkly ginger after just a few weeks. The ginger wrapped in plastic and then put in a paper bag stayed fresher a little longer, but it still got wrinkly before the test was up. The paper towel wrapped ginger got moldy after a few weeks.
    As for the ginger planted in soil, it stayed quite fresh, and it also yielded some lovely foliage, which may have been due to the fact that I feed my plants regularly.
    In light of my experiments, I've decided to store my fresh, unpeeled ginger in a zip-top bag in my vegetable crisper, as long as I plan to use it within two months. Any longer than that, I'll peel the ginger and use the vodka method. I haven't tried this yet myself, but I'm guessing that ginger-infused vodka might make a great martini.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpybushman View Post
    Most of the pain that I've been having is in my shoulders, not the joint area but the muscle area between my neck and shoulder joint. It's more like a pinched nerve and the week after Xmas my thumb and the tip of my pointer finger went numb on my right hand. It got better for awhile then eventually my shoulder started hurting a litter more, then about 80% of my hand went numb. I could tell the difference between hot and cold but it was like my hand had that weird trying to wake up feeling. Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago and my left shoulder started hurting like my right shoulder use to, so I went to a chiropractor for the first time in my life and after several adjustments over the past few weeks I haven't had anymore shoulder pain and my right hand is about 95% back to normal.
    You might want to mention this to your primary care physician. He might suggest a neurological workup or physical therapy.

All the best.
    GJ