Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Permobil airline prep

I've since made several flights with the Permobil, so far on planes that did not require any adjustments to my chair. I'm flying on Alaska Air to Seattle in September on a 737, so I'm trying to decide the best approach...reclining the chair, or removing the back. Van Quad, did you recline the chair yourself (and if so, how did they push the chair), or did you show them how to do it?

I'm planning a trip that requires I fly on an E90 for a short 2 hours, but I'm leaning toward taking Amtrak for 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    April 2018 I flew to Hawaii on a 65th birthday gift flight from my dear friends. But I had the same flying anxiety that landrover had regarding my chair arriving in one piece. This photograph and your comment not to let them load the M300 on its side was just the information I needed. I knew that loading it on its side was going to be a disaster for the armrests. But West Jet only flies stretch 737s which has a restricted height cargo door. It was literally 20 minutes before I had to load in the van for the trip to the airport when I discovered the answer. I did not have time to figure out how to configure the seat all the way forward as pictured in your photographs, but gave me the hint I needed. Recline the chair all the way back and it worked like a charm. With many labels not to lift on the back rest of course. It was manually lifted onto the conveyor belt at YVR in Vancouver and offloaded the same way at HNL.

The only damage was to my shoulders. The Eagle Lift 2 is available at all airports across Canada and Australia, so I figured it was available in America. Loading with this lift is a piece of cake. Unfortunately I didn't ask if it was available at HNL. There I was muscled off the plane by a couple of luggage carrier dudes who had no idea how to do a two-man lift of a quadriplegic on/off an aisle chair. Especially one with a screwed up arm from a syrinx. So my left shoulder got hurt arriving in Hawaii and my right shoulder was hurt departing from Hawaii. But it was 10 days in paradise with great friends so it was worth it. Now that my shoulders feel better.
    The Eagle Lift was available at these airports as of September 2017 Austin, Dallas, Ft Lauderdale, Orlando, Los Angeles, Las Vagas, Minneapolis and Sacramento. I have not used one yet but hopefully I will soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Quad View Post
    April 2018 I flew to Hawaii on a 65th birthday gift flight from my dear friends. But I had the same flying anxiety that landrover had regarding my chair arriving in one piece. This photograph and your comment not to let them load the M300 on its side was just the information I needed. I knew that loading it on its side was going to be a disaster for the armrests. But West Jet only flies stretch 737s which has a restricted height cargo door. It was literally 20 minutes before I had to load in the van for the trip to the airport when I discovered the answer. I did not have time to figure out how to configure the seat all the way forward as pictured in your photographs, but gave me the hint I needed. Recline the chair all the way back and it worked like a charm. With many labels not to lift on the back rest of course. It was manually lifted onto the conveyor belt at YVR in Vancouver and offloaded the same way at HNL.

The only damage was to my shoulders. The Eagle Lift 2 is available at all airports across Canada and Australia, so I figured it was available in America. Loading with this lift is a piece of cake. Unfortunately I didn't ask if it was available at HNL. There I was muscled off the plane by a couple of luggage carrier dudes who had no idea how to do a two-man lift of a quadriplegic on/off an aisle chair. Especially one with a screwed up arm from a syrinx. So my left shoulder got hurt arriving in Hawaii and my right shoulder was hurt departing from Hawaii. But it was 10 days in paradise with great friends so it was worth it. Now that my shoulders feel better.

That was great that you thought about laying the seat back!

Most planes will take the chair on its wheels with the headrest off also.

Remember YOU are the one in control and its hecktic when getting off the plane but stay calm and make sure your calling the shots.

The captain of the plane is responsible for you till you get off that is why we stay in the plane till the chair is brought up, its makes them hurry and not waste time.

My point being sometimes the 3rd party company's that help transfer are not the best trained so if you dont feel comfortable ask the captain for airline personal they have more training.

I have had to stop a few I could tell had no idea what they are doing to ask for replacements.

If for some reason they hurt you in any way make sure you stop at the baggage claim office and report it in case you need follow up or even massage to get the pain to lessen.

'Van Quad', I sent you a private message.