Thread: Healed ischial flap surgery & using a padded commode chair

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Healed ischial flap surgery & using a padded commode chair

I'm 4 months post flap surgery. I got the all clear from my surgeon in July to go ahead and use my padded commode chair, padded shower bench and transfer board into the car. My problem is that the commode chair seems to be pinching me. This afternoon I found what looks like to be a small blood blister on the surgical site. I'm scared to death. I called my doctor and told him that I want to go back to using an indwelling catheter, and I'll go back to doing my BP in bed (which I absolutely hate but necessity I'd rather protect my skin), and once again, I'm back in bed as much as possible so that I'm not sitting on it, and when I am in my chair I do pressure reliefs every hour for one minute each side. I check my skin all the time, and I haven't driven my car since last week, and I haven't showered since last week (I sink bathe in between), so the only thing I can think caused it is my skin being pinched by the seam on the commode chair, or sticking or something (sprinkling with baby powder isn't really helping much).

Anyone else out there have the same or similar issues with their padded commode chair? If you did, what did you do? Geeze Louise I can't go through what I endured the last 2 years, plus the surgery, and rehab.

I had flap surgery in 2009 and I've pinched my skin and gotten small blood blisters a few times. I believe it was from my transfer board.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliegirl View Post
    I'm 4 months post flap surgery. I got the all clear from my surgeon in July to go ahead and use my padded commode chair, padded shower bench and transfer board into the car. My problem is that the commode chair seems to be pinching me. This afternoon I found what looks like to be a small blood blister on the surgical site. I'm scared to death. I called my doctor and told him that I want to go back to using an indwelling catheter, and I'll go back to doing my BP in bed (which I absolutely hate but necessity I'd rather protect my skin), and once again, I'm back in bed as much as possible so that I'm not sitting on it, and when I am in my chair I do pressure reliefs every hour for one minute each side. I check my skin all the time, and I haven't driven my car since last week, and I haven't showered since last week (I sink bathe in between), so the only thing I can think caused it is my skin being pinched by the seam on the commode chair, or sticking or something (sprinkling with baby powder isn't really helping much).

Anyone else out there have the same or similar issues with their padded commode chair? If you did, what did you do? Geeze Louise I can't go through what I endured the last 2 years, plus the surgery, and rehab.

Is it a good quality commode chair? Might be worth looking into other models, possible more expensive, that have high quality material for seat cushioning - that does not have wrinkle or seam where you sit.

Also wondering if you can do pressure relief while seated on commode chair. Does it have arm rests to aid in this?

I have had a blister show up and had doctor look at it and prescribed getting off my rear a few times a day. After a week it pretty much disappeared. However, I have full sensation (Polio), and due to significant scoliosis, one side of me bears all my weight while seated. I have chronic spot that can flare up. I change my wheelchair cushions almost every 4 to 5 months and keep several around to rotate. It's amazing to me how this lessens my discomfort/burning when cushion changes.

get a satin pillow case, sheet, what ever is cheapest. Use it to slide/sit on. Get some of these http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/spank...ing-short.html
    Kind of expense, but worth it. The sizes run small. I'm 38 waist and got an XL. Lets you slide your clothes on and slide onto other stuff. Easy to get off, little hard to pull on.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    get a satin pillow case, sheet, what ever is cheapest. Use it to slide/sit on. Get some of these http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/spank...ing-short.html
    Kind of expense, but worth it. The sizes run small. I'm 38 waist and got an XL. Lets you slide your clothes on and slide onto other stuff. Easy to get off, little hard to pull on.
    do you put the board in the case or just kinda wrap the board around it
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Thanks everyone for your responses and suggestions. To answer your questions: If I don't have clothes on I do use a pillow case on my transfer boards, plus I use transfer/push blocks to help get my arse up higher to help prevent shearing. I use the blocks when I transfer to my commode chair too. And yes, my commode chair is a good one. It is the one that the therapists recommended that I get when I was in rehab after back surgery a few years ago. The cushion is quite thick, but when sitting on it it does flatten out more then I'd like. And it does have arms, and I've thought of doing pressure lifts while on it, but I'm not on it for that long, and I couldn't hold myself up for very long, only about 10-15 seconds. My bowel routine only takes 15 or 20 minutes each night, and again, I could choose to do it in bed, but in the past I've done that, and literally....small turds have gotten away from me (LOL), and I find them in bed later. This totally grosses me out. I put chux all around me and still I manage to get poop in my bed!!!

The problem with wearing something like those boy shorts is that they are slippery, and that causes me to slip around on the commode chair, and I can't maintain a proper position to reach my vajayjay so I can cath myself. I have tried similar control top foundation garments in the past, and cut holes in the crotch, but the sliding around was too difficult to deal with. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I could do the opposite, and actually put something on the commode chair seat, like slip a pair of TED hose over each side. They are long enough, and I think would be snug enough to go all the way around to the back side of the seat. But again, it could be too slippery, but it's worth trying.

All this being said, I just checked my skin before getting dressed for a doctor appointment, and the thing is gone. It had already gotten a little better from off-loading after I wrote my original post, but it was still there when I checked my skin the last time before going to sleep last night. Now it's just a very light pink and is hardly distinguishable from the surgical scar. But, I'm still worried about it, and unfortunately, I have a couple of full days ahead of me where I can't spend much time in bed. I have a doctor appointment today, which I drive to, and an errand I must run after that, and another doctor appointment tomorrow afternoon that will require me to disrobe for a pelvic sonogram. I won't really have an opportunity to spend "quality time" in bed until Saturday/Sunday.

I'm going to call my doctor and tell him that I don't want the catheter put in after all. I've already damaged my urethra from using one for 2 years while being bed ridden for 2 years while trying to heal the wound, which has caused some undesirable incontinence if I don't cath every 4-5 hours (I used to be 6-8 hours and I hardly ever had accidents). After 3 months it is only just now showing signs of improvement (I also picked up ESBL at the hospital).

Please keep responding with your experiences and what you did to help. Thanks all!

I just throw the pillow case over whatever I'm sliding across. Wheel, toilet, bed, slide board.

The problem with wearing something like those boy shorts is that they are slippery, and that causes me to slip around on the commode chair, and I can't maintain a proper position to reach my vajayjay so I can cath myself. I have tried similar control top foundation garments in the past, and cut holes in the crotch, but the sliding around was too difficult to deal with. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I could do the opposite, and actually put something on the commode chair seat, like slip a pair of TED hose over each side. They are long enough, and I think would be snug enough to go all the way around to the back side of the seat. But again, it could be too slippery, but it's worth trying.

Wheeliegirl: They are actually girl shorts. I slide them off once I'm on the toilet, they come off so easily, that's the best part. I wouldn't put anything on the seat, I'd slide right off and on the floor.

first I don't use a transfer board and if I had to I put a roho cushion on it. My shower chair has a roho cushion I sit on covered with a smooth towel. Anything I sit on I use a roho cushion.
    Art

You couldnt reallybuse a transfer board if it had a cushion on it. I couldnt get into/out of bed or my car without a transfer board. I would endnup on the floor! I dont use one to get on my commode chair. Ive tried in the past a few times, including rehab and it just doesnt work for me. I use one to get onto my padded shower bench. Its shorter and is covered with a pillow case.

Im considering getting a Roho for my car. Does anyone here have one? If you do, how do you prevent it from shifting when getting in/out of the car? I dont use one for my wheelchair. I just dont like them. I boight one once a fee years ago and hated it. I always felt like I was going to fall out of my chair and felt wobbly. Also, no matter how much air was in it I had an uncomfortable burning sensation. I gave it abweek and finally shelved it and switch to a Stimulite. I now use the Stimulite Slim with the Super Soft feature. Its very comfy.