Thread: Returning to college

Returning to college

I'm 35 yrs old C4/5 quad. Previously I have contacted OVR to help me with job placement and the application is in process. Now I'm planning to earn a degree and then secure a meaningful career. Can someone please help me with some suggestions and possibilities on returning to college on mid-30's. Thanks.

Shouldn't be any problems that can't get worked out; I did it in my mid 40's. Contact the schools office of "differing abilities." G/L

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Shouldn't be any problems that can't get worked out; I did it in my mid 40's. Contact the schools office of "differing abilities." G/L
    That's a nice term. When my kids went to college, it was called "disability office". When I went, there was no such thing. I got special permissions from the health office.
    Hint: ask for everything you can think of.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

What field are you looking for earning a degree? Will it require an advanced degree? Is returning to college part of your Dept. of Rehab plan (they will only pay for it if it is). While most colleges have some way of accommodating PWD, not all programs are equal, and many do a better job than others. If you can narrow down your career goals, then identify schools that have a good reputation for that major, then you can start also exploring their disability services. An in-person interview at that department can be invaluable.

(KLD)

I'm planning to pursue degree in computer science. The OVR individualized service plan is not yet finalized but anyway I will find difficult getting their help. Because for some reason I find my local OVR is very stringent. They offered me driving evaluation etc. but said I have to bear all the cost of vehicle modification etc. Thanks.

You can ask to meet with this "counselor's" supervisor or appeal this decision. In some offices the push is to close accounts/plans as quickly as possible, so the counselor may find it more expedient to just mark you off as "unemployable" and close your case than to go to all the work required to really work with you on a viable plan.

(KLD)

As a retired DVR counselor, suggest you consider applying to chosen college and get accepted. This includes applying for financial aid and meeting with the disability services office. During my days, a student must first apply for financial aid at the college. If too much family income to qualify for aid, the school provides you the paperwork to verify what aid if any is still needed - this written information is shared by you with the DVR counselor. In short, you and DVR counselor go over the needed expenses that you cannot provide yourself, and negotiate what DVR will cover. For instance, tuition, books, transportation costs (possibly a gas allowance and/or cost of "Your Ride" type transportation for a wheelchair user), note-taker, etc. etc.

I must emphasize that you must take an assertive role in this process. DVR funds are from your taxes, limited too, and counselor must carefully spend it. Your role is to specifically spell out what you need and why, and work with counselor to formulate plan. A driver evaluation is often the last thing on the list, as you may not need to drive to complete your degree, but probably would need the evaluation when job search starts.

If things seriously bog down ask for a 3 way meeting with counselor and supervisor, or just you and supervisor. You can bring in an advocate, a relative, etc. if you wish, to any meetings.
    Hope you chime in to let us know how things go.

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    As a retired DVR counselor, suggest you consider applying to chosen college and get accepted. This includes applying for financial aid and meeting with the disability services office. During my days, a student must first apply for financial aid at the college. If too much family income to qualify for aid, the school provides you the paperwork to verify what aid if any is still needed - this written information is shared by you with the DVR counselor. In short, you and DVR counselor go over the needed expenses that you cannot provide yourself, and negotiate what DVR will cover. For instance, tuition, books, transportation costs (possibly a gas allowance and/or cost of "Your Ride" type transportation for a wheelchair user), note-taker, etc. etc.

I must emphasize that you must take an assertive role in this process. DVR funds are from your taxes, limited too, and counselor must carefully spend it. Your role is to specifically spell out what you need and why, and work with counselor to formulate plan. A driver evaluation is often the last thing on the list, as you may not need to drive to complete your degree, but probably would need the evaluation when job search starts.

If things seriously bog down ask for a 3 way meeting with counselor and supervisor, or just you and supervisor. You can bring in an advocate, a relative, etc. if you wish, to any meetings.
    Hope you chime in to let us know how things go.
    The DVR is reluctant to help me with my education. I have worked for sometime after my injury and so they feel education is not absolutely required for me to find a job. But they are ready to help with job related services. My point is that I need education for substantial income and to meet my long term goals. Honestly there is no point in me getting back to work without significant earnings after losing all my current benefits.

Is there any point in my fight for education with DVR or should I just take what they offer?

Thanks.

Fighting this crippling war on unemployment!

After only 14 months of Mtv lifestyle after I was released from the hospital in 1987 I woke up one day and said to myself, "This is no way to live!" I wrote companies (No Internet.) about what they could offer me until I found the Golden Ticket to run after an accessible career in computer aided design. Everything was paid for; tuition, books, $200 supply allowance, computer, laser printer, shower chair, titanium 'chair, power CAD work station, van modification; lift, hand controls, swivel seat, remote starter and much, much more.

This was a return to work program though the State of Ohio. Graduated June of 1991 with my degree and gave myself 6 months to find employment. I had an interview with NASA but they weren't hiring. I ended finding employment with with a small engineering design company designing turnkey finishing systems. Nine months within my employment at GLA Finishing System got a telephone call from NASA. A window of opportunity has open to join the team! I said, "Goodbye G-L-A welcome N-A-S-A! The next year the GLA went out of business.

I just pasted my 24th year with NASA. Working for NASA is never a dull moment! I continued to go to college and earned another associate degree in mechanical design an my bachelor's in automated manufacturing engineering technology. I graduated with my bachelor's before my 40th birthday which was my goal.

After 25 years in government service mandatory retirement planning.

One good tip for going back to college. Study, study, study.

Be all you can be. Be a fighting soldier on this crippling war on unemployment!

Go for it!

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."