Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New lightweight wheelchair

New lightweight wheelchair

Hello everyone, I made an account to hopefully get some help as I choose a new wheelchair. Im a c5-c6 quad using an aero z and it feels like a tank getting it in the car. I'm looking at the lasher sport mg, the tilite zr, and the oracing. Im leaning towards the lasher because the weight. I have to break it down to get in the car. I want to try the adi carbon fiber back but wanted to know if anyone knew the benefits of having a non folding back. My tiites have all starting squeaking after some use from pulling on the back. could a solid back help with that? Im looking at spinergy lx wheels with marathon plus tires and d's locks. Also, what are ergo cushions and are there any quads riding on panthera chairs? Would love to get some feedback and advice from everyone.

While I can't answer all your questions, I caution you on the Marathon Plus tires as they have changed a year or so ago and sadly they are no longer near the tire they once were. They do not roll well and I see reports of them not holding up well.

The Aero Z is a pretty basic chair, in that there isn't much to it, I wonder how much lighter the others will be.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    A rigid(or non folding)back will be considerably less weight. Problems will be if the back is too high and won't fit in car or something, plus no adjustments if a few years down the road you need to change angle. If you get fixed back, get the point pro so you still have angle adjustment. I just got a aero z titanium because of insurance coding in the same setup as my old ZR. It weighs way more than the ZR and tilite quality/customer service has taken a crap since permobil took over.

Blog Entries
    A lot of a chair's weight comes from accessories. A basic frame, Al or Ti, isn't unreasonably heavy, in and of itself. D's Locks are quite heavy, as wheel locks go. ~3lbs. An adjustable ADI back will weigh more than one of a synthetic upholstery material. A Rigid back is good for some weight savings but not so good for fitting in tight spaces or adapting to your needs over time.

I own 2 Lasher BT-Mg chairs. One setup for normal use and one setup for recreational/off-road uses. I also have an Icon,while not exactly light, it is by far the more comfortable chair of the 3. I'm using it ~75% of the time these days, as my "house chair". The point being, comfort trumps weight IMO.

For a Lasher I would go with their standard adjustable back. It is ROCK solid, absolutely ZERO play, angle adjustable, and only a matter of a few ounces heavier (weight of a few titanium screws and washers vs the welding material) than the fixed version. This is on account of how intelligently it was designed. My 15x16 BT-Mg, 12" angle adjustable back, 4" Froglegs w/Unitines, 559 Spinergy LX, CF side guards, Stimulite Countour XS cushion, and D's Locks is 21lbs, all in. That is incredibly light for all those features. I got it down to 17lbs by losing the D's locks and swapping to 3" casters and 540 LX wheels. That is crazy light for a metal chair. The lightest competitor I've seen is user stephen212's (incredibly custom) TiLite ZR, which came in at ~23lbs IIRC. (There is a thread here about both of these chairs you can search up).

As a 2 time Lasher owner I remain skeptical that his chairs offer a significant value. While it is unclear to me how much stephen212 paid for the customization of his ZR, I don't suspect it came very close to the expense of a BT-MG, while it DID come VERY close to it's weight while also matching its features. Is a couple of pounds is worth a couple thousand dollars? That's up to you. It was to me, at the time, but going on 10 years later I am less convinced that was wise.

Lashers are fantastic chairs. My first is ~9 years old and still rock solid. If the small weight savings is worth the premium to you, then I don't think they can be beat. If you're looking to stretch your dollars, and get more value, a custom ZR is the way to go, IMO.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    While I can't answer all your questions, I caution you on the Marathon Plus tires as they have changed a year or so ago and sadly they are no longer near the tire they once were. They do not roll well and I see reports of them not holding up well.

The Aero Z is a pretty basic chair, in that there isn't much to it, I wonder how much lighter the others will be.
    I second this commotion.

Marathons aren't what they used to be. Not by a long shot. Their extra weight used to worth their performance, but I don't think so anymore. I think I've struck a decent balance using the Schwalbe Rightrun.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I second this commotion.

Marathons aren't what they used to be. Not by a long shot. Their extra weight used to worth their performance, but I don't think so anymore. I think I've struck a decent balance using the Schwalbe Rightrun.
    Thank you everyone. I'm still looking to switch from solid tires to air. If not marathon plus are the righrun type sturdier? I'm looking for a more comfortable ride with a low chance if popping. I know it will still happen occasionally. I'm not worried about the money so I just want a quality product not based on trying to stretch my dollar. I get how the icon works but is it only more comfortable because its adjustable? if you know your measurements could a lasher be just as comfortable or does something else make it more comfortable (seating, frame, suspension)? Once again thanks for the feedback, reading through this forum has helped me tremendously in narrowing down my choices.

By by the way, I use a jay2 cushion but have also looked into getting a custom chair built with a curved dump area. Are there any decent cushions that are more malleable? I was looking into the roho but I heard people get issues with pressure sores. Would love to hear about people's favorite cushions.

Blog Entries
    Yes, the Icon is more comfortable because I have been able to adapt it to my changing needs, particularly with regards to my back. It is also more comfortable on a daily basis on account of it's air suspension soaking up the bumps and humps of daily rolling.

Re: tires, if you're looking for puncture resistance over rolling efficiency, then the Marathons are probably the better choice. If you've never experienced how they once were, then you'd probably not notice how far they are from that today. (I'm still using the original Marathon Plus Evo tires, on a daily basis, that came on my first BT-Mg, in 2008, with plenty of tread left. One of the original tubes, too). I've only once got a flat in many, many years.

If money is no object, then I do think the Lasher is better than anything else at the moment. Only slightly, though. Not sure about lead times today, but mine took nearly 5 months to deliver. It was a long wait.

Quote Originally Posted by luisguillermo View Post
    By by the way, I use a jay2 cushion but have also looked into getting a custom chair built with a curved dump area. Are there any decent cushions that are more malleable? I was looking into the roho but I heard people get issues with pressure sores. Would love to hear about people's favorite cushions.
    I have sensation, so no pressure sore concerns, but clinic mapped me anyway, and my ComfortComapany (VicAir) Adjuster showed all over nearly consistent blue. It works great on my TR's ergo seat.

(Since I got my Adjuster, Comfort Company has expanded their line of VicAir products.)
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Tires: As of right now, I plan to try the Primo Sentinel tires, they are a knock-off of the Marathon Plus Evo tires. The downside, they are rated to 100 PSI vs. 145 of the MP's. That said, the Primo has a thinner puncture barrier, so I am hoping...
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Thanks Oddity, you've been a big help man. I'm going to be trying a panthera u3 soon but unless it blows my mind I'm def going with the lasher. It just doesn't offer near enough dump.

Chasmengr, that looks like just what I'm looking for. Thanks. How much dump do you use with that? I'm at 3.0 but could do even more.

Brian, Thanks for the input my man if you don't mind me asking what does psi difference do to the ride of the wheelchair? Thinner puncture barrier seems like the opposite of what I'm looking for. I'm looking for puncture resistance so I am willing to sacrifice some smoothness for a better chance of it not ruining my day. I travel to south america often and constantly find myself going off road. I just recently got the freewheel and its soft bounce made me realize how much damage to m body solid tires were doing.