Thread: Anyone know about Meloxicam?

Anyone know about Meloxicam?

My GP has been wanting me to try Meloxicam. I'm pretty wary. I don't like Vicodin but I've been on it for 20+ years and I know the side-effects and it's never made me sick.

I love the idea of not being intoxicated by the Vicodin and instead using an anti-inflammatory. If it worked, that would be great. But I am worried when I hear about the possible side-effects including stroke. I don't want G.I. problems, rashes, whatever. But if it worked ..

So I am wondering if anyone here has experience with Meloxicam know about it. Google isn't making me feel okay about it, I would prefer to hear from people. I've had lots of experiences with drugs, especially when I started 20 years ago. I remember having one help me with pain, it was great, until I was doubled over because of stomach pain. Another drug gave me diplopism (double vision). My life pretty much works. I would like it to be better and not taking Vicodin would make me pretty happy but does anyone know how risky Meloxicam is?

sigh, wish I could say something good, did nothing for me but I've always been willing to try. No bad side effects, just no help. -ket

Thank you for the the information. I feel too worried about the side effects to try it. Been putting the decision off. When all my stuff first started I tried whatever the doctors gave me and I had all sorts of problems. Feldene worked better than anything until I was doubled over with abdominal pain, stuff like that. I know it's just my own fantasy but I wish there was something that at night could electronically send a signal to my brain to shut off the pain signals. Heck, would be nice to wear something like that all day :-)

Your GP is following the new "playbook" for pain management.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/65/rr/rr6501e1.htm

"Determining When to Initiate or Continue Opioids for Chronic Pain"
    1. Nonpharmacologic therapy and nonopioid pharmacologic therapy are preferred for chronic pain. Clinicians should consider opioid therapy only if expected benefits for both pain and function are anticipated to outweigh risks to the patient. If opioids are used, they should be combined with nonpharmacologic therapy and nonopioid pharmacologic therapy, as appropriate"

There is some change going on. I have seen three doctors in the last few weeks, two at the pain clinic and my own GP. They all referenced what they are hearing in the News. I think that's crazy. Treat people as individuals, the people in front of you. I want to stop taking Vicodin for my own reason - I am tired of the intoxication. Also, because of that intoxication I only take Vicodin in the evenings. If I could take something else to help, I could take it during the day and that would be great.

My doctor, as nice as she is, doesn't understand my lifetime of trying different meds and therapies. I started in 1991. One med was taken off the market three months after they gave it to me because people were dying from it! So I am not a rookie and I do worry about trying something new. She doesn't understand why I am fearful of trying the Meloxicam. I have enough going on in my day to not want to suddenly be on the floor moaning from abdominal pain. That happened last year.

My partner tells me to not take it personally, that my doctor only wants to help but my doctor's confusion at my hesitancy makes me believe she just doesn't know about people who are long-time patients, who have a lot of experience and know about side-effects. I am informed by my experience with Feldene, a drug she hasn't even heard of because it's so old. I remember how it worked great, I loved that stuff, until I was doubled over with belly pain and my doctor (at the time) was like, "Yeah that can happen." WTF?! So casual to mention it AFTER. So when I am offered something new I am pretty cautious and that is why I am asking about this stuff.

I am taking so much less Vicodin now that I might be in a pretty good spot. A few years ago I was up to two extra strength a night. Now I sometimes take a single regular strength and sometimes it's only a quarter or half a tablet.

Hm, I am babbling now and I am not even on anything ;-)

They're not just hearing it on the news:

http://time.com/4468400/surgeon-gene...oid-addiction/

California, like Texas, has a controlled substance prescription monitoring program.

http://members.csahq.org/blog/2015/0...ow-about-cures

Any medical provider with a DEA license can easily look up your Vicoden use history including the names of the providers who wrote the prescription, the dates, and quantity.

With 20 years of short-acting narcotic prescriptions, it would not be surprising that the 3 doctors you recently saw are encouraging changes.

I'm not saying that I agree with this current medical zeitgeist. As I get older, and start having overuse pains from nearly a decade of providing manual assistance to my husband, the thought of not having adequate pain control other than interventional procedures is frightening.