Thread: website redirect virus?

website redirect virus?

I play games and contests using CHROME at pch.com (publishers clearing house) in hopes of possibly winning and to kill time. Anyhow, a few weeks ago I started having my game page redirected to various bogus contest/sweepstakes pages. I searched the internet about the websites in question and they said it was from an adware malware virus on my computer. I downloaded malwarebytes and adwcleaner to remedy the problem. I ran malwarebytes with no problem but when I ran adwcleaner it found some bugs. When I went to clear them off, the program froze up, as well as the laptop, and so I turned it off and back on. But it wouldn't reboot no matter what I did. I eventually had to remove the hard drive, recover my personal files with a usb connector device, put the drive back in and then reinstall Windows 10. I had trouble reinstalling though and after a little detective work, discovered that my partition had been messed up. I deleted all the partitions and was finally able to get it running again.

Anyway, I only downloaded chrome and firefox for now to do the necessities. I went back to play the pch games and the redirect problem occurred again. I downloaded malwarebytes again and ran a search but found nothing. I'm afraid to use adwcleaner again because of what happened last time.

So, my first question is, can their website get hacked and redirected if my computer is clear of bugs? Because I contacted them and they were adamant that their website was clean and safe.

My second question is, has anyone else had that adwcleaner program screw their computer up too?

I enjoy playing some of their games and like the remote possibility of winning a bunch of money but I don't want my system screwed up just to do so.

This guy can help you out. BEFORE YOU POST, PLEASE READ THIS! - Virus, Spyware and Malware Removal - Smartest Computing
    Go there and register & be sure to tell him what Adwcleaner did.
    He's helped me clean up several of my friend's computer's.

Quote Originally Posted by Flatiron View Post
    This guy can help you out. BEFORE YOU POST, PLEASE READ THIS! - Virus, Spyware and Malware Removal - Smartest Computing
    Go there and register & be sure to tell him what Adwcleaner did.
    He's helped me clean up several of my friend's computer's.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    So, my first question is, can their website get hacked and redirected if my computer is clear of bugs? Because I contacted them and they were adamant that their website was clean and safe.
    Short answer is, yes! Read HERE.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Thanks... I hoped as much. Now I'm not so paranoid.