Thread: Quad offshore fishing

Quad offshore fishing

Ok, have a friend that wonts to take me fishing offshore for the first time since my accident. If I go I wont to be more than an anchor. So without a lot of adaptation are there any gloves or cuffs out there that will help me grip those big penn reel handles?

For starters some glove to protect your skin, then duct tape. I'm going to check with a friend that went fishing in the keys. He has no hands and did it.

I use a deck chair, much more stable than my manual.

For smaller reels, I've used a wrap of Velfoam (soft foam that functions like loop Velcro) around my hand and sticky-back hook Velcro on the reel handle. It worked well.

"It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    I have one of those but I don't think its going to be much good for 70lb tuna and 30lb dolphin. haha.

OK I finally got hold of the lady that's been fishing. Her son got blown up in Iraq. They made a neck roll to pad his neck with a strap that goes to the pole above the reel to brace in. They use a belt with a reel holder pocket. They turned the reel around so he can push the handle to operate it.
    Go to the http://www.nationalwheelcats.org/ look for fishing stuff.
    Last edited by baldfatdad; 08-24-2016 at 01:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    I have one of those but I don't think its going to be much good for 70lb tuna and 30lb dolphin. haha.
    A quick word of warning, if you attach the rod to your hands with something like a Velcro strap keep checking that the drag is set light otherwise you risk a jolt that could dislocate your shoulders. It happened to an Irish friend who hooked into a 60lb blue shark when fishing for sea bass, he was out of action for months.

Fishing Chair

I mounted a clamp-on rod holder to the cross bar on a Quickie GPV. I typically use an electric reel. You are in for a real work out if you manually crank up a decent sized fish. Pick a calm day. Depending upon the boat even two foot seas can be a challenge without trunk control.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and other people may not be able to tell the difference."