Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inspirational story

Inspirational story

This is an article about a mountain hike/climb that an SCI person just did to raise money for equipment: http://www.idahostatesman.com/outdoo...e96111007.html I thought that it was much better than the usual superficial treatment of SCI and about a great accomplishment.
    C1/C2 walking quad, SCI from 4/2010

Thanks for posting this article, Cajun. I met Jon in a chance encounter at the Devil's Washbowl just off I-84 about 3 years ago. He was showing his brother the gorge there and I knew by the way he walked he was a SCI victim. So, I struck up a conversation with him. I've tried to see him at St. Luke's in Twin Falls. But he's a busy guy. I can't imagine hiking to the top of Borah and back, especially with his limitations.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    Thanks for posting this article, Cajun. I met Jon in a chance encounter at the Devil's Washbowl just off I-84 about 3 years ago. He was showing his brother the gorge there and I knew by the way he walked he was a SCI victim. So, I struck up a conversation with him. I've tried to see him at St. Luke's in Twin Falls. But he's a busy guy. I can't imagine hiking to the top of Borah and back, especially with his limitations.
    I was especially amazed that he could walk down after walking up. Down is definitely harder for me. I have thought about trying to see him because I believe we are similar in abilities, and it would be great to get his perspective.

I have a friend, an incomplete quad, who works at St. Luke's and knows Jon. He says that Jon has become so popular that it is hard to have a conversation with him even as someone who works in the same facility with him. I went up to Jon's floor and talked to the desk people about seeing him. Left my name and number. Never heard back from him. Yes, you two would have much in common. I'm amazed he can work full time as a physiciatrist with his level of impairment. That's impressive in itself.
    CCS/Walking Quad

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    I was especially amazed that he could walk down after walking up. Down is definitely harder for me. I have thought about trying to see him because I believe we are similar in abilities, and it would be great to get his perspective.
    Walking downhill is very difficult, visually it's scary, when I went to Athens I walked about 10 miles, then walked up the acropolis and back down, scary on all the marble stairs up there.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Cajun,
    Revis has told me about you, he said we walk the same, but the bike riding you do is insane, you're my hero.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    Cajun,
    Revis has told me about you, he said we walk the same, but the bike riding you do is insane, you're my hero.
    I couldn't walk ten miles now. I could a couple of years after SCI, but I have degraded some, and I feel like walking lots damages my body. Cycling is the only cardio I can do well so I do that lots. Riding a bike has always been fun. What limits your cycling?

Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    I have a friend, an incomplete quad, who works at St. Luke's and knows Jon. He says that Jon has become so popular that it is hard to have a conversation with him even as someone who works in the same facility with him. I went up to Jon's floor and talked to the desk people about seeing him. Left my name and number. Never heard back from him. Yes, you two would have much in common. I'm amazed he can work full time as a physiciatrist with his level of impairment. That's impressive in itself.
    I am always amazed with quads that work full time, and doctor's lives seem especially busy. Wow, is all I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun View Post
    I couldn't walk ten miles now. I could a couple of years after SCI, but I have degraded some, and I feel like walking lots damages my body. Cycling is the only cardio I can do well so I do that lots. Riding a bike has always been fun. What limits your cycling?
    I can't do 10 miles now either, I got small cell lung cancer last year and got chemo and radiation, got very sick with salmonella, camphylobacter and c-diff because of the chemo killing my white blood cells, but the worst was brain radiation, I lost leg strength and balance, some brain damage too, so I'm slowly rehabilitating, am planning to try riding soon, mostly I have a lot of fear, but maybe I'll get over it, if I can do it, i'll get an electric bike to train with. Right now I'm so bummed I can't ride my bike it's a santa cruz heckler I built up from a frame.

Quote Originally Posted by trekker6 View Post
    I can't do 10 miles now either, I got small cell lung cancer last year and got chemo and radiation, got very sick with salmonella, camphylobacter and c-diff because of the chemo killing my white blood cells, but the worst was brain radiation, I lost leg strength and balance, some brain damage too, so I'm slowly rehabilitating, am planning to try riding soon, mostly I have a lot of fear, but maybe I'll get over it, if I can do it, i'll get an electric bike to train with. Right now I'm so bummed I can't ride my bike it's a santa cruz heckler I built up from a frame.
    Trekker6, I'm so sorry to hear that you had to fight lung cancer. It sounds like some very tough times. I hope you've got it beat and can get back to fighting SCI. I think I know what you mean about fear of riding because I have some of that going on now with my mountain biking. My clumsiness and memories of bruised ribs and near misses have me a little spooked. Maybe I will try some crash pads. Best wishes, and I hope to hear that you are back on your Heckler sometime.