Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "The Beast"

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    that is so neat for him great dad
    Thanks, but I'm not sure that he thinks the same most of the time!

I do wonder what I would have done with my spare time had my son not spent much of his life in a chair...I seem to spend an awful lot of time tinkering, thinking, building and modifying chairs and other wheeled things....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    You may need to join the queue...we rode past my son's old primary school yesterday just at home time. There were lots of positive comments and "I want one" comments! Sadly, nobody said the same about the electric skateboard that I was on!
    That fat tire up front is the crowd pleaser "in" thing.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Gordy1 View Post
    Whether it's e-car or ebike engineering that has improved batteries I'm not sure, but I am very thankful that there are so many ebike and bike suppliers and components now. Really the only difficult part in building one of these "Beasts" is working out how to make the connection between "Beast" and wheelchair...the rest is readily available.
    Motor wattages are up in the last few years too. When I built my trike 500 watts was considered a lot. That was due to street speed limits, but they are not concerned about it anymore for some reason.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Motor wattages are up in the last few years too. When I built my trike 500 watts was considered a lot. That was due to street speed limits, but they are not concerned about it anymore for some reason.
    There's a fair bit of concern from the UK folk on the Pedelecs forum, as the UK recently fell in line with EU rules, which have a 200 (or 250) W limit, and it must be pedal assist from now on, so no "throttle only" operation (which is obviously unfair to people who can't pedal). But it sounds like nobody is really sure who will be enforcing these rules, unless there is an accident and somebody claims the motor was illegal (and the consequential lack of insurance cover).

If my son was ever to have been stopped by the police using his Firefly I had already planned my response (along the lines of "get stuffed"!). However I may need to be a bit more polite if he gets stopped with The Beast! There is a 250W limit here too....
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

Blog Entries
    Great job for your son! Now you have got me in a can't sleep for gears turning-mode here lol.

I’ve just posted this video in another thread, but realised that it’s probably more relevant here, as it shows how far The Beast has travelled.

https://youtu.be/t8JKgtao57I

(Yes, it’s pretty much an Icon advert, but that was deliberate as the Icon guys have gone out of their way to help us out a couple of times, including a few weeks ago when we were on holiday in Scotland and I noticed a crack in the front wing assembly (after almost 6 years of abuse)...the international Icon distributor (who is based in Denmark) got the part to us within 3 days of me getting in touch with him. Can’t get much better service than that!)

And to answer NW-Will’s questions (from the other thread):
    1. So is that 6 years in an ICON chair? what's the verdict? I have their Marvel chair... one of these days I'll demo their ICON chair.
    Yes, 6 years in not just “an” Icon, but “the only” Icon that he’s owned. It’s grown with him (from age 9-15), with only a new seat pan being bought late last year (upgrade to the carbon fibre version, longer than his original one). I don’t know many (any) other kids over that age range that have had the same chair throughout.

2. I'm no fan of those attachments, but the beast looks like a lot of fun.... would be interested to see it going up inclines to see at what point it starts to spin out.
    It can get up most sealed roads. Grass is usually fine with a bit of run-up speed. Soft sand is a killer (at the end of the video he is stuck). But he is fairly light, so that helps. If/when it needs an upgrade, I would look at getting a motor/controller that can go in reverse (like the Firefly can), as that would let him go backwards up steep hills with a lot more traction.

3. Is the beast an ICON product ? any links to it?
    Homemade, sort of...more info in the rest of this thread.

4. What is the power assist at the 26 second mark ?
    It’s a homemade SmartDrive, sort of. It was a razor scooter at one point.... My son now has a real SmartDrive, which probably shows how successful my thing wasn’t!

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    Thank you for the answers ... and great job...
    I modified an old sophur holly bike a few years ago and put a large LIPO4 battery over the front wheel to try and get some extra weight on the front wheel to stop the wheel spinning out.
    Just a video showing how long it takes to hook up to it..

gordy, thats awesome.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Thank you for the answers ... and great job...
    I modified an old sophur holly bike a few years ago and put a large LIPO4 battery over the front wheel to try and get some extra weight on the front wheel to stop the wheel spinning out.
    Just a video showing how long it takes to hook up to it..
    Nice modification! I?m just thankful that e-bikes and lithium batteries exist...and they will only get better.

The Firefly (gen 1) connection is much faster than your one...my son can connect it himself using a fat bike stand (which is fairly portable if we?re travelling anywhere), otherwise he does need some assistance. Disconnecting is easier. I think the gen 2 connector would be even faster, but I wonder about its strength in comparison to the gen 1.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    gordy, thats awesome.
    It is...and I must admit I probably get as much of a buzz seeing my son using it, as he does using it. My wife just looks the other way at times....