Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Osteoporosis Treatment

Osteoporosis Treatment

C5 C6 quad. Dr. wanted me to get a bone density test so I did.
    The results is what I expected, severe Osteoporosis.
    Dr. prescribed Alendronate. I don't like all the possible side effects from it.

Any one here take Osteoporosis medications?
    Do prescribed medications help a quad?

I don't want to take strong drugs if it's not going to do much good.

The last bone density scan showed that I had moderate osteoporosis. At that time my primary doctor prescribe Reclast. I only took the IV once and decided not to take it this year based on some scientific studies showing the the Reclast and similar drugs really didn't do much at reversing the bone loss. From the information I've read, doing the FES bike 3 times a week or more was much more beneficial. I'm hoping to start back on my FES bike in about a week and then stay with it on a consistent basis like I had done in the past. I'll then have another bone density scan in Feb. 2017. About the only other thing I've heard is to increase calcium intake.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

There is not good evidence showing that any of these drugs either prevent or correct osteoporosis in people with SCI.

(KLD)

There may not be any study evidence to support the use of the of the various osteoporosis medications for people with spinal cord injury, but over 15 years, I've gone through various treatments and I am holding my own, not getting worse, and in some instances my numbers are better than the last study. My endocrinologist is satisfied with these results. If you have an endocrinologist who is willing to work with you, you may be better off trying various modalities than not. Just because there aren't any studies doesn't mean some of the treatments won't at least keep you from getting worse, but maybe not better.

The lack of studies doesn't mean that some of the treatments aren't beneficial, it just means there are a lack of studies. Spinal cord injured are just not on the radar screen of the major pharmaceutical companies who have medications for osteoporosis and so they haven't invested the time and money to set up a study.

All the best,
    GJ

they put me on forteo.......

Quote Originally Posted by airart1 View Post
    they put me on forteo.......
    I've done Forteo. At this time, you can only take Forteo for 2 years.

All the best,
    GJ

Actually, a number of studies have been done with SCI, showing no scientific evidence of benefit, and sometimes actual harm.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Actually, a number of studies have been done with SCI, showing no scientific evidence of benefit, and sometimes actual harm.

(KLD)
    This is not encouraging for those of us in chairs who are not SCI but just starting Osteoporosis treatment.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

(KLD)

Do you know where or how I can access these studies? My primary physician keeps wanting me to take something.

Thanks
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

well, first I'd go to an endocrine doctor and make sure your parathyroid and calcium numbers are copacetic, mine were way out of whack, so my bones were being sucked dry.....and as far as the forteo goes, guess I'll find out when they do a bone density test after my 2 years of treatments....I'm half way through...