Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quads living alone.

Quads living alone.

So its time for me to move out of my parents house. How do you guy/gals handle shower, bowel program and all? Im going to need someone to to help get me through all that in the mornings and getting into my chair. I take it y'all have someone to stay all night? Will insurance pay for any of this?

not to bash on you but I'm the same level as you and why would you need someone overnight?
    I don't live alone but I only need someone MON-WED-FRI bowel care/shower 3 hours TUE-THU-SAT-SUN 1-2 hours to get me up and come back to get me in bed everyday - 30 mins max
    Caregiver should prepare food for you so you're good for the day. I use a small oven to heat up food and a cripper from quadtools.com to grab stuff from the fridge - if you really have/want to move then you must have a cripper reacher, it saved me a million times. BTW every quad should have one imho.

I doubt any insurance will pay for overnight stay
    Last edited by Mac85; 08-14-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

Well the only reason I said stay overnight is what if the house caught on fire or something like that some sort of emergency.

Man i have never seen one of those quad reachers thats awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by #LHB# View Post
    Well the only reason I said stay overnight is what if the house caught on fire or something like that some sort of emergency.

So where I live, you can sign up with the fire/police/sheriff departments and they flag your address for any 911 calls so that they know you're disabled and can be organized and properly equipped when they respond. Also, you indicate how well you can self-evacuate in case of flood or fire or natural disaster so they know what level of help/rescue to send. Some communities provide key lock boxes and allow you to leave the number with the emergency services folks so that they can get in without smashing windows etc. As you can probably tell, I live in the sticks.

Quote Originally Posted by annev308 View Post
    So where I live, you can sign up with the fire/police/sheriff departments and they flag your address for any 911 calls so that they know you're disabled and can be organized and properly equipped when they respond. Also, you indicate how well you can self-evacuate in case of flood or fire or natural disaster so they know what level of help/rescue to send. Some communities provide key lock boxes and allow you to leave the number with the emergency services folks so that they can get in without smashing windows etc. As you can probably tell, I live in the sticks.
    Me to and wouldn't won't to live anywhere else haha. Ok I will look into that. Thanks. From the responses I'm getting i take it that a lot of quads live alone.

I'm very impressed with those of you that are living alone. I guess as they say necessity is the mother of invention. I'm having a very difficult time imagining living alone. For now, because my injury is due to an automobile accident, I can have around the clock care if needed.
    DaDutchman
    C5/C6 since 2007 due to car accident

I was injured when I was 16, moved out at 21 and in with a girl I was dating at the time. She was in college and I was working. After living with her for 3 years, we split and I moved into my own place. For the first several years, I had someone live with me as a caregiver in exchange for free rent. I don't use the upstairs so that's their living quarters. They helped me 90 mins to 2 hours in the morning and then 30-60 mins in the evenings. They worked another job during the day. The biggest reason I want someone in the house with me is forced dependability. It's easy for a caregiver to call in the morning and say they can't make it, then you're screwed. If they're IN the house, they almost never miss a scheduled day. I am also an early riser, getting up work days at 5:30am and then on my hunting trip days, I may get up as early as 3:00am. There's no way I am depending on someone else getting out of their warm bed at 2:30 in the morning to drive across town to get me up by 3!

Other than the 12 years I was with my wife, I've lived with a live-in caregiver. several years ago, the state started a program to pay caregivers. It's less than $9 an hour but $25 a day and a free place to live, no expenses other than food and it's a great deal for some people. I've had all kinds too. From 55 year old men to 19 year old college girls. They usually stay 1-2 years but I've had some as long as 4-5 years. I have friends, family and past caregivers to help me out if my caregiver needs time off. It works for me.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

I have lived alone for years dang near the whole time sci but I am c6c7 I just need someone hr aday 5 days aweek I have sp and a colostomy I would hate someone living here full time

If you need help with your ADL, having someone there is a huge bonus. I've made some great friends out of the deal.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein