Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Red spots from FES electrodes

I'm using 40hz. Moved pads a few inches in from where they were. The red marks were only on the hamstring pad nearest my groin so we moved them towards my knees. the red marks were more like red scabs where skin had broken. No other marks and the pad move didn't result in any more marks.

What are the benefits of using higher frequency?

I ordered a unit to try activating my calf muscles.
    I have venous insufficiency ulcers on my right foot and much edema. Despite going to wound care and hyperbaric oxygen, they aren't responding very well.
    My left leg has had no problems (21yrs), but I have frequent calf spasms in it.
    I'm hoping that muscle activity in my bad leg is the silver bullet.
    I'd appreciate any coaching available!

PS: the limb/skin on the bad leg is not real good; the possibility of degradation from the pads worries me.

Lower frequency is better for muscle contracture and fatigue whereas higher frequency is supposed to help with spasticity.
    Lower is also supposed to be better for edema.

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Lower frequency is better for muscle contracture and fatigue whereas higher frequency is supposed to help with spasticity.
    Lower is also supposed to be better for edema.
    Thanks for that. I don't spasm a lot and ride time is 1 hr. I've had the bike for 6 months now and originally started increasing RPM then time, got to 45RPM for 1 hr then plateaued so therapist swapped to increasing resistance. Now up to 40 RPM at 1.84 for an hour but once again finding it tough to get to 41.Might now start increasing time to build endurance. It is good for me as an ex cyclist, really enjoy being able to look at a training log and track ups and downs. I even managed to keep riding with a pleural effusion, hooked up to oxygen machine until it got diagnosed and 3.5 litres of fluid drained from my chest.

I'm a former cyclist as well. I do an hour at 40 rpm and vary the resistance 20 mins easy (0.5-1.05), 20 mins hard (2.0+) then I taper the last 20 back down to easy. It would be great if the FES would track comparable power numbers to a quarq it powertap to feed into an app like training peaks. It would also be great if it was possible to hit cycling rpms (90-110 rpm) instead of 40...
    Last edited by Mize; 08-17-2016 at 07:21 AM.

I'd like to have a Strava upload facility. I can't vary resistance easily, C3 complete so no hands, I'd have to keep shouting for support workers. Don't think I want to go much over 45RPM as my chair bounces at that, 90 I'd be thrown out of it! Pity there is no RT300 Facebook group or forum as I would like to know how others use them.

So I do upload to Strava but only HRM data which is hardly impressive. For actual cardio I use my Glider and upload that HRM as an indoor run.