Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you open this

How would you open this

with C5/6 hands?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    C5/6 23 years post injury.
    Author of Twisted Consequences

can you get a fork or something under the tab to pull it up a bit the loop your finger or thumb thru the tab hole and try to hold the can with your other hand against something?
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

This might not work for all quads, and it looks like you might want to protect your clothing: http://megjohnsonspeaks.com/2013/06/opening-a-soda-can/

Then there is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dc_HXkmuM0

There are quite a few videos on the internet if you search "opening a soda can quadriplegic."

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 08-12-2016 at 01:47 PM.

I have a tool called a "Tab Grabber." It's very old and you can't get it anymore, so I did some searching for equivalent products.

http://www.sears.com/search=pull%20tab%20can%20opener (take a look at the J shaped ones, or the white flat one)
    https://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-Tab.../dp/B00KLESDSQ (I would hope / assume this has an opening at one end to fit the tab into; that's how my device works)

I'm off to town today; if I come up with anything else, I'll post back!

Try an ordinary can opener, one that cuts the top off leaving no sharp edges. I haven't tried it, but my chili can looks like it would open that way and it is a pull top.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
    I have a tool called a "Tab Grabber." It's very old and you can't get it anymore, so I did some searching for equivalent products.

http://www.sears.com/search=pull%20tab%20can%20opener (take a look at the J shaped ones, or the white flat one)
    https://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-Tab.../dp/B00KLESDSQ (I would hope / assume this has an opening at one end to fit the tab into; that's how my device works)

I'm off to town today; if I come up with anything else, I'll post back!
    lots of stuff on the Sears site that looks like it might work? Thank you
    C5/6 23 years post injury.
    Author of Twisted Consequences

with 0 hand functions and your teeth :
    - take the can with both hands, exactly as in your pict,
    - open your mouth and put your upper teeth under the tab, exactly as you if you were trying to drink at the can (your lower teeth are on the side of the can)
    - pull with your upper teeth under the tab, until it comes vertical, most of the job is done,
    - finish the opening with one of your fingers in the hole, your other hand on the can.
    Good luck and good tasting ! Enjoy !
    C6-7 since mid 2002, no hand control nor triceps.
    my website & my job (in France): Accessibility advisor www.acceslibre.eu
    Also working on a French research about Peer counseling and Empowerment.

If for the TAB ONLY, as in a soda can, then a simple fork (or anything that can catch under the tab will do) can easily lift the tab up and open.
    (tab grabber works well, but I think a fork actually has greater leverage/security)

If opening a tab to lift off a lid, as in a soup can, then you can lift the tab up with the fork, enough to crack open the top where you can insert the fork to pop or "peel" open the rest of the top. If you have trouble prying up the lid, a spoon can easily lift the lid open once you get the tab cracked open. A spoon might wedge in the crack better than a fork.

Ive used a steak knife as well. So as long as it can get under the tab and fit thru the loop, it should work.

btw. if you have trouble with cans slipping on table/counters, Dycem can hold things in place. Dycem also comes in handy when trying to open screw tops.
    Last edited by chick; 08-12-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robotnik View Post
    with 0 hand functions and your teeth :
    - take the can with both hands, exactly as in your pict,
    - open your mouth and put your upper teeth under the tab, exactly as you if you were trying to drink at the can (your lower teeth are on the side of the can)
    - pull with your upper teeth under the tab, until it comes vertical, most of the job is done,
    - finish the opening with one of your fingers in the hole, your other hand on the can.
    Good luck and good tasting ! Enjoy !
    I can hear my dental hygienest and dentist now! Yikes.

All the best,
    GJ

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I use a kitchen/butter knife in a quad cuff and reach under the tab. I wrap some tape around the handle so the knife stays tight in the cuff and dose't slip out. I open letters also by slipping the end of the knife under the outside edge of the glued down flap and rip the top open.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt