Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Handicap laws

Handicap laws

Can anyone tell me if a nursing home falls under to handicap rules and regulations, and does anyone know how I can contact them?

What "handicap laws" are you referring to? The ADA?

(KLD)

If you are talking about making a complaint, you may want to start by writing a letter to said nursing home's director stating clearly what the complaint is regarding the handicapped issue. Follow this up with a phone call/and/or appointment with the director of the nursing home to discuss your issue. Get things in writing.

You can do "search" on your computer for the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to find out what is covered.

KLD yes the ADA. I'm wondering if they have to have automatic opening doors on the front doors so that I can go in and out at will.

See the Automatic and Power-Assisted Doors and Gates [?404.3]

Automatic doors are not required. However, doors must have hardware that doesn't require grip or wrist twist and must be able to be opened with 5 lbs or force or less.

All the best,
    GJ

What GJ said.

I am sure the nursing home would say they do not have automatic doors for safety, as wandering or confused patients could exit this way much more easily. If that is a reason they give, then suggest that they also install something like the "WanderGuard" system which sets off an alarm if a patient at risk for wandering (who wears a transmitter bracelet or tag on their wheelchair) tries to exit.

(KLD)

If you can't get out the door, call the fire department. They will get it squared away, faster than anyone.

KDL some of the residents have bracelets on that set off an alarm when they open the door just a little bit. My main problem is getting back in.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
    KDL some of the residents have bracelets on that set off an alarm when they open the door just a little bit. My main problem is getting back in.
    Why is that? Force needed to open the door? Door hardware?

All the best,
    GJ

I have the same problem trying to open doors when out shopping. I seem to recall someone in a power wheelchair had a "grabber" of some sort, carried on the chair that was used to pull a door open - not to workable if there's a knob.