Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Procrit

Procrit

My PCP is recommending that I see a hematologist and get a Procrit shot to address a low Hematocrit. I'm more than a little uncomfortable about this.

Has anyone had any experience with Procrit?

Background: My CBC values are all off. Here's the Hematocrit:

value 30.7
    units %
    norm.range 40.0-51.0

I've been diagnosed with chronic disease (= chronic unhealed pressure ulcer(s). I'm 77 years old, 50 years post (spinal tumor). With a wound constantly draining, a Procrit shot seems to me to be shoveling sand against the tide. - fw

A lot of paralyzed are borderline anemic. I have the same issues ... I just take iron pills (ferrous gluconate). Have for years, along with a multivitamin. Those iron stores need the stimulation of muscle moving against bone (walking) to get decent red blood cells ... mine are small and of poor quality, so I was told.

Out of curiosity, where's the wound? Just went through another round of osteomyelitis (bone infection) and still on IV antibiotics ... the draining has gone down so, so, so much! Unfortunately, I think osteo is here to stay for me in the dense small bone cells ... waiting for its opportunity again (when I'm weak - or sick - even with uti).

Almost went septic with my bladder too and just finished 10 days of Ceftazidine for that - pseudomonas. Also on oral Cipro for a different bug; it's resistant for pseudomonas for me now. First time dealing with that issue - kinda scared me how fast I got sick and how long I was in bed weak and sick with that. Just started 32yrs post.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I would definitely see the Hematologist, and then decide what to do with their input. One step at a time.

The Hematologist needs to do some tests to make sure the reason for your low counts is clear. There might be some simple things you can do that might help. For example, you might need some iron or B vitamins/folate etc.. They will look at other causes before attributing it all to your wound.

But increasing your hematcrit may help you feel better - more energy, less tired.

Agree with hlh. The next step should be a hematologist.
    ckf

i would also see a hematologist i am very anemic as well they wanted to put me on all kinds of stuff including blood transfusions etc turnout i just needed a monthly b12 shot blood work still isn't normalized yet but is getting there now 6 months later.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    [...] Out of curiosity, where's the wound? Just went through another round of osteomyelitis (bone infection) and still on IV antibiotics ... the draining has gone down so, so, so much! Unfortunately, I think osteo is here to stay for me in the dense small bone cells ... waiting for its opportunity again (when I'm weak - or sick - even with uti).
    [...] Just started 32yrs post.
    Thanks lynnifer, sorry to hear of your infections. To answer your question: My apologies for going on at length below but here the details are where the devil is. The wound is on/in left buttock, in the soft tissue distal to the ischial tuberosity. It came about this way: About a year ago I was in hospital while the plastic surgeon was preparing to deal with a sacral wound. While I was there the docs discovered osteo centered in my left femur. They decided that IV Vancomycin wouldn't work. (I disagreed, but that's another story.) Instead they removed a good deal of the proximal part of the femur & packed the space with soft tissue - gods know where the surgeon got it. I felt that this would really louse up my transfers, but this concern pretty much went by the docs. The procedure cured the osteomyelitis (but who knows? - I've had to deal with periodic bouts of osteo ever since the time of the tumor). As (I, at least) expected, after removal of the bone the left leg was totally unstable and my transfers were & are terrible. The upshot is that an old ischial wound (now no longer over the ischium) that had been healed years ago opened up. Most likely the new wound started deep and worked up to the surface, because it's not in an area under pressure. I found out later that this is a worrisome outcome of this so-called Girdlestone procedure in paraplegics. (I can't find the reference just now.) Though I'm otherwise in good health, I'm not healing anywhere as fast or successfully as back in the day. The best I can do (with the help of visiting nurses) is to keep the wound clean & free if infection and hope for the best. Ah well. - fw

Ignore this reply. One of those days...
    Last edited by firewheels; 08-09-2016 at 02:57 PM. Reason: misdirected post

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    [...]
    Sorry Lynnifer & SCI-Nurse: reply was meant for lynnifer, went to SCI-Nu rse instead.

No problem.
    ckf

Yeah, you've had it rough! What kind of cushion and bed are you on?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12