Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone identify this Freedom Ryder hand cycle for me?

Quote Originally Posted by brian View Post
    I have this bike. I bought it back in 1994 and still ride it almost every day to work. 1400 miles so far this year. It's my life. I'm a t4.

PM me and we can set up a phone call. I can tell you everything you need to know.
    PM Sent!

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Can't believe you got this bike for only $300!
    I bought it from a guy who bought it used, then rode it just once. He found it too difficult for his level of ability. Sat in his garage for years before he put it on OfferUp for $399. Really nice guy, we talked for maybe 45 minutes about wheelchair war stories. When it came time to pay, he said he said I could have it for $300.

I used a Freedom Ryder for several years and loved it. The lean steer was great for me and often it just required a gentle tilt of my head/shoulders to begin a turn. Allow room for a wide area if you need to turn completely around.
    I got the hang of the steering very quickly. Definitely has a huge turning radius - not sure if that's indicative of all hand cycles or just lean steers, or just this one model, but it does take some space to do a u-turn!

Hope you will get a good quality helmet. I used a wide stretchable belt around my hip area as I have poor balance. Later on, as aging set in, I used a small step-stool to transfer to, then up into my chair.
    I'm an L-3 incomplete, so I thankfully have very good balance. I hear you on the helmet - our local fire department has a free helmet program for residents, so I already went over and got fitted with one. I've have no interest in complicating my life with a TBI.

Thanks for the encouraging words - I'm feeling good about the purchase now, for sure!
    Last edited by taziar; 08-08-2016 at 04:07 PM.

It's a F/R Classic. Early lean steer and one of the easiest bikes to work on. Shifters are no big deal to adjust. They used Shimano back then. I owned the third F/R made. Back then, they were made in Texas.