View Poll Results: Supra pubic vs urethral cath your experience

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Have suprapubic after urethral and hate it

0 0%
  • Have suprapubic after urethral and love it

2 100.00%
  • Had suprapubic and changed to mitrofanoff or mitrofanoff and augment or botox

1 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: urethral catheter popping out: is suprapubic a good solution

urethral catheter popping out: is suprapubic a good solution

Hi all

I am facing the decision to have a suprapubic cath inserted after the urethral one has begun popping out spontaneously on a semi regular basis ( 3 x this week) other times goes months in-between. but been happening for a year and drs were waiting for a systemic bug to clear out of my body before any surgery could be considered.

The urologist recommends a supra because the balloon coming out will eventually damage urethra permanently.He also recommends botox at same time as believes leaking around cath and ejecting are from spasms and i dont tolerate oral meds well ( hazy thinking/blurred vision/ dry mouth etc)

So i have some questions

1 How fast do i have to make this decision i.e. long/ how many pull outs does it take to cause irreversible damage
    2 for those who have swapped did you get more or less UTI's ( I never get ANY)
    3 is my phobia of ripping it out of my belly if the tubing catches on something irrational?

HISTORY

I have been a complete t5 para for 34 yrs since accident when i was a kid. Self cashed until 5 years ago when I swapped to a urethral indwelling cath because an overuse injury to my arms caused my to shift to a powered wheelchair and also need to lay down to dress and undress/ toilet.

Originally this was temporary till i had a total diagnosis/treatment for ams and knew what my new normal would be. I then thought either i would regain function to cath and b faced with the botox/ ditropan and leaking saga agin (which actually sucked having an indwelling has given me the BEST quality of life no leaks/puddles/ changing every few hrs and dry mouth from meds).

Option 2 would have been a mitrofanoff and either botox or augment etc. but I'm presently in hospital receiving treatment for osteomyelitis on my heel when this occurred so surgeon is now looking for a short term fix as I don't want to damage my urethra permanently in the meantime with cath ejecting in hospital. The other surgeries are a big step require lots of tests finding a good surgeon and being sure- none of which i can do confined to bed with an elevated healing foot wound.

So urology here suggested this interim measure

Anyone gone through a similar desion or got feed back.

I think my fears are silly

- wanting to go swimming/ wear a bikini pants etc without the cath showing
    - scared of it pulling out through my belly
    - it freaks me out the idea of some permanent frankenstein tube ( i know i have a leg bag anyway but for meI'm used to that my whole life as useful during flights or travel to inaccessible areas, not permanent or disfiguring)

thanks for reading this post

and thanks for this whole community
    Last edited by Jim; 08-05-2016 at 07:41 AM. Reason: fixed title
    "The impossible is just that which hasn't been done yet.Impossible is nothing"

This was a symptom of rectal prolapse for me. I'd get a second opinion from a uro-gyne if you have them there.

I'd also increase the balloon size.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

IF it is popping out- instill more water in to balloon but this problem is common in women- as the indwelling shortens an already short urethra. Wha tis he planning to prevent leakage from urethra?
    CWO

Thanks ladies for increase balloon size suggestio.

CWO that was my question too- how ill it not leak from urethra. 1 urologist said just the botox would work by stopping spasms. I'm skeptical, as always leaked before i had indwelling urethral. . Another said a sling made from fascia may be needed. Today I had a 2nd opinion which was to postpone suprapubic and use ditropan patches in efforts to reduce pooping out and re visit this issue in 6 months when anticipated my foot will be healed and metro/sling/augment can be considered. This was largely because no dr available in this hospital to perform surgery soon= waiting list. I'm all for that as long as no long term damage to urethra in meantime.

It has 10mm saline already and size 18 to stop leaking. Can it hold more in balloon?

I always go about 12-15.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

thanks lynnifer i shall discuss with hospital. I was started on oxytrol patches today after a bypassing episode. The instructions they left me say put on abdomen his high- nurse put on my shoulder. hope it doesnt matter. maybe this and more water will help

Suprapubic tube

MISS SEPTEMBER: BY ALL MEANS - GET THE "SUPRAPUBIC TUBE PUT IN". Just like u, I too had the same decision to make (4) yrs. ago: I'VE got a BS in Kinesiology and if it's one thing I've learned it is: "Go on the attack". 1. The best catheter I've found is the: Poiesis Duette Dual-Balloon 2-Way Foley Catheter. 2. The best place to buy them is: (shop catheters.com)...I keep 2-18's, 2-16's and 2-14's on hand. D-10018...16...14...$12.99 ea. 3. Medicare will pay for 30 a month. 4. The best uirnary leg bag is: Bard Bedside Drainage from vitality medical.com...154002...single hook 2000 cc...$4.87 ea. 5. Leg bags (church-doctors-swimming Best is
    150108 32 Ounce 12 inch - with latex straps, without Flip-Flo Valve 150108...bardic leg bag (32 oz)
    Each $2.02 ea.
    The (2) bulbs, with the slot in between, keeps the catheter from irritating the bladder wall. I've never had a urinary infection since I started using the POISES 2 Bulb Catheter's...fingers xxx..."PRAYING THIS HELPS" ))

Quote Originally Posted by mrsea1 View Post
    MISS SEPTEMBER: BY ALL MEANS - GET THE "SUPRAPUBIC TUBE PUT IN". Just like u, I too had the same decision to make (4) yrs. ago: I'VE got a BS in Kinesiology and if it's one thing I've learned it is: "Go on the attack". 1. The best catheter I've found is the: Poiesis Duette Dual-Balloon 2-Way Foley Catheter. 2. The best place to buy them is: (shop catheters.com)...I keep 2-18's, 2-16's and 2-14's on hand. D-10018...16...14...$12.99 ea. 3. Medicare will pay for 30 a month. 4. The best uirnary leg bag is: Bard Bedside Drainage from vitality medical.com...154002...single hook 2000 cc...$4.87 ea. 5. Leg bags (church-doctors-swimming Best is
    150108 32 Ounce 12 inch - with latex straps, without Flip-Flo Valve 150108...bardic leg bag (32 oz)Each $2.02 ea.

The (2) bulbs, with the slot in between, keeps the catheter from irritating the bladder wall. I've never had a urinary infection since I started using the POISES 2 Bulb Catheter's...fingers xxx..."PRAYING THIS HELPS" ))

My understanding and guidelines my catheter supplier follows is Medicare covers 1 (one) foley catheter per month whether for indwelling urethral or supra pubic use.

All the best,
    GJ

Unfortunately for women, our bladder needs change over time as well. It really sucks.

After I deal with a bowel or rectum prolapse (colostomy), I'll be looking into bladder diversion or mitro as well. It may be something to look into. Keeping the foley in increases your chances of cancer.

I am not sure what the Australian guidelines on catheters are. Sorry that I can not be of more help on that one.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

ckf