Thread: Opinions on a "new" catheter strategy - www.BioFlo.us

Question Opinions on a "new" catheter strategy - www.BioFlo.us

My therapists showed me a new product, www.bioflo.us, and I'm wondering if anyone here has an opinion on whether it's a good idea or not. Basically it's a quick connect for the catheter. The idea behind it is this: with an indwelling catheter you install the quick connect on the catheter and eliminate the leg bag. The quick connect shuts off the catheter and the urine is allowed to collect in the patient's bladder. Periodically, a drain valve is connected to the quick connect and the patient empties their bladder. Basically, you get to eliminate the leg bag.

My concern is this - I've always heard back pressure on the kidneys is a bad thing. Since I get AD when my leg bag is full, could I use that as an indication that it was time to empty my bladder and not cause detrimental backpressure to my kidneys?

Thanks,

Dan

If I understand how this system works when used without a leg collection bag, urine would be retained in the bladder and the user would have to be aware of when their bladder was full and be able to get to a urinal or toilet or collection bottle to empty the bladder. If the bladder couldn't be emptied readily, there would be the danger of urine backing up into the kidneys. Our SCI nurses have routinely tried to dissuade indwelling catheter users from capping catheters.

The quick disconnect between the catheter and leg bag that helps to maintain a closed collection system is a great idea.

All the best,
    GJ

I know I would leak within 30 mins on that.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Interesting but I don't really see the purpose of this to keep the urine in the bladder?. I have never seen this recommended and not sure of safety for SCI pts.
    Would have to have Urodynamics and see what pressures are at certain capacities and ensure no reflux(back up) in to the kidneys.
    CWO

Washington DC area--------------------T3 complete
    I know it is not the norm from what I have read on this forum, but for what it's worth - I have had a SP for five years that I plug off during the day and empty my bladder every two hours. I normally get between 300ml and 500ml. I use a bag at night. I am sure I am colonized but have not had a treatable UTI but twice in that time frame. I have annual kidney/bladder sonogram, cystoscope, and urodynamics. When needed I have had bladder stone ablation as well as bladder botox. *knocking on wood* Have had some leakage in the past but usually only when it's time for an additional dose of Botox.

Yeah, I'm thinking about it for times when I don't want a bag (therapy), and it would get me one step closer to being able to go to bed on my own (popping on the night bag).

That looks like a neat gadget but not worth 92$ EACH eek! Ok, the other version is cheaper at 14$ but still. And think about it, there comes a point when you just can't clean the plastic parts and you're going to have to throw it out and buy more. The end where you're supposedly able to connect a leg bag or night bag also doesn't look compatible with regular bags used? Do you have to buy their special bags too? I also wonder if all those extra parts inside aren't just inviting bacteria settle in and to stick around? Why not just use a flip-flo valve? Or even a simple plastic plug? They cost a few bucks each, are much simpler in mechanism and you can connect them to just about anything, no need to buy special bags or parts:
    http://www.bardmedical.com/products/...lip-flo-valve/

I've been using the Flip-Flo for a while, you get a box of 5 for 20 something bucks. They tell you to change it every week but I generally go a couple weeks, sometimes longer if everything is clear, I just wash em' every once in a while.
    Last edited by twistties; 08-06-2016 at 11:42 PM.

I would not encourage you to use anything that "pugs' the catheter. You are correct in worrying about kidney issues - they are obviously a major concern. I would talk to your urologist about this before embarking on using them

ckf

Am looking for a quick connect because of poor hand function. Something like this:

https://www.industrialspec.com/shop/...couplings.html

Any concerns about the above? Nurse the dexterity issue has been around for awhile...no solutions?

As for the BioFlo...one objective appears to be filling and emptying of the bladder. Not just eliminating a bag. With my SP does my bladder ever get exercised? If you did exercise your bladder could it lead to better function...less incontinence, complete voiding, excellent name writing skills etc.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    If I understand how this system works when used without a leg collection bag, urine would be retained in the bladder and the user would have to be aware of when their bladder was full and be able to get to a urinal or toilet or collection bottle to empty the bladder.
    The AutoValve (the $92 part) has a pressure valve that opens at 20 centimeters of head pressure...whether you are aware of full bladder or not. Don't ask me what 20 centimeters of head pressure is. Probably like 4 or 5 beers worth of pressure. Maybe the nurse can work out what pressures are acceptable with the Urodynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    I know I would leak within 30 mins on that.
    Leak where...from the wound site, or urethra, or hardware fail or all of these? If I don't empty my bag I will pee from the urethra just like before. Would like to know how to stop that. But it kind of acts like a built in safety (pressure relief) valve. Not sure how reliable it is. Fortunate not to have AD.
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

It would be necessary to have an urodynamics study in order to know whether this type of catheter would be appropriate. The pressures in your bladder are extremely important to know prior. It is a form of intermittent catheterization with the catheter staying in place instead of inserting it every 2 hours. The devil is in the details. An urologist and maybe even a neuro-urologist would know the pros and cons of such a product and it's applicability to each patient.

pbr